mtbr member

Tulsa OK rider wanting to find some NEARBY weekend trips

Hey guys, I'm a mtb'r from Tulsa and can literally see Turkey Mtn from my back yard and have ridden easily 5000 miles on these trails. It never gets boring, but I like to see new scenery. Here are my questions:

1) I generally head out once or twice a year to Arkansas, last year was Lake Leatherwood. Previous I did the Womble. I'm aware of Devil's Den, Sylammo, etc. just never been there. How is Devils Den?

2) Am I focusing too much on leaving the state and heading east to the Ozarks when something may be here in state? Do the Arbuckles south of OKC offer any decent riding?

3) One plan in the making is heading to Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, but seems to be a drive (although the beer available in that state will make it worthwhile). How are the trails there?

Any comments on a trail I've overlooked would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Clint

P.S. going to post a couple extra threads on trail conditions/info of other nearby trails.
    Last edited by TulsaClint; 03-27-2013 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    cedar glades = beautiful (in hot springs)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    cedar glades = beautiful (in hot springs)
    Ahh, thanks. That was just a 30 or so minute down the drive from where we stayed a weekend at Crystal Springs on the lake (sadly, this was the season before my woman acquired her bike...I'll be sure to check it out. How many miles of trails?

mtbr member
    solid 10 mile loop - few creek crossings - not technical at all - smooth for most part - some sections there is some chatter in form of small rocks and roots across trail - about 1300ft of climbing a lap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    - some sections there is some chatter in form of small rocks and roots across trail -
    Sounds like butter compared to Turkey.

mtbr member
    So, Shamrock, where is Cedar Glades in aspect to our state?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TulsaClint View Post
    So, Shamrock, where is Cedar Glades in aspect to our state?
    Just go to Hot Springs, AR. Cedar glades a just miles south of it.
    On a hardtail its pretty mean. Turkey and Cedar are two completely different types of trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ankle Express in Braggs is one of my favorite trails. Major downside to this one is that it's all or nothing, since you can't bail out and are forced to ride the trail.

Devil's Den isn't worth the drive from Tulsa. It's a fun trail and there's a really good climb, but it's just too short.

Ben Geren in Fort Smith is a fun trail that's improved a lot in the last year. One cool thing about this is it's divided into sections, with a paved trail running up through the middle. Makes it really easy to bail if someone wrecks or something breaks.

Lee Creek is a good trail in Van Buren. Secluded, great views, and I almost never see another person while riding there. There's few technical parts, but most of it is fairly flowy. There's really cool things on that trail like a cave, a huge crack in some rocks, old grave sites, etc...
    Random pic of the crack from google
    Tulsa OK rider wanting to find some NEARBY weekend trips-crack-rock-50-0.jpg

Sparrowhawk in Tahlequah isn't very far from tulsa. Some challenging climbs. Downside to this trail is that there are a lot of pedestrians.

Slaughterpen is worth the drive. Some of the most fun I've had on 2 wheels.

Springhill park in Barling is a good place to take a beginner. Very fast and flowly. Almost no elevation change.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Lots of great trail in Kansas City, MO/KS. Check out info here Earthriders Mountain Bike Club

Eric the Red
    Northwest Arkansas is full of places to ride. Ben Geren, Hobbs, Devil's Den, Slaughter Pen, Blowing Springs and probably one or two I'm forgetting are all within weekend range. You could hit one place and then somewhere else the next day.