Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Listen! Tulsa-ok Area Riders

ANY TULSA-OK AREA RIDERS IN HERE?

Im just getting back in the saddle from a bad spill 2 years ago on Turkey Mtn. Currently trying to get the bike sorted out & ready to hit the trails. Anyone been out to Turkey this season? Are there anymore trails other than Keystone & Turkey in the area?

Benchracer

DIRTYAMERICAN
    Apr 2004
    I live 4.5 hours away from Tulsa. We rode Turkey last weekend. F'in awesome! Good guys down there...well, the 2 I rode with.
    let's roll

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, Turkey is a lot of fun. There is a smaller ring of trails about 30 min west of Turkey, its by the Keystone dam. I havent rode there or anywhere in 2 years. but back then Keystone was ok. I'll have to check it out & let you know. After I get some mountain time back in the saddle, maybe we can meet up & ride. Any good trails in your area? I normally ride w/ a couple of friends & we are looking to expand our trail experience.

I can't weld
    I'm going to go check out Keystone tomorrow to see what shape its in. If its favorable, there is a group coming from the OKC area Sunday morning that I'll hook up with since I've never even been there and I'm sure they have. If not I'll ride at Turkey for a few hours on Sunday b/c I know it drains pretty fast. check out the message board at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/earthbike/
    later
    Norman

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiefab
    I'm going to go check out Keystone tomorrow to see what shape its in. If its favorable, there is a group coming from the OKC area Sunday morning that I'll hook up with since I've never even been there and I'm sure they have. If not I'll ride at Turkey for a few hours on Sunday b/c I know it drains pretty fast. check out the message board at http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/earthbike/
    later
    Norman

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP! How was Keystone?

I can't weld
    awesome. all the trails around here are perfect right now. At least a lot better than the bone-dry and dusty like they've been all winter.

mtbr member
    Turkey is still great, Keystone has a very good set of trails. Try Lake McMurtrey at Stillwater. Not nearly as technical, actually not at all compared to Keystone and Turkey, but very fun and fast. You can log a lot of miles as well, about 28 miles of trails, 4 seperate loops. You have to pay a use fee, but well worth it.

There are also some trails if you know where to find them, coming out of Chandler park, mostly 4wd trails, but there are several places that are pretty fun, and some gnarly, but short, downhill sections, I like them because i can leave the house on the bike and be on those trails in about 3 minutes.

What the Crap?!

anybody tried the Osage in Bville

heard the osage in bartlesville is nice. anybody ridden it yet?

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Yup, I ride Turkey every weekend, pending weather, and that I am not injured, or my bike isn't toast. I usually only ride Turkey. Keystone blows chunks to me. Not worth the drive for short trails. I'd rather drive to STW for a McMurtury ride if I am going to leave the Tulsa metro area. Other than that, I haven't gotton a chance to venture out anywhere else yet. I am going to try to hit all the race trails from the TDD series next spring summer, then hopefully race the year after that.
    Last edited by OSUALUM78; 10-25-2006 at 02:18 PM.
    custom pedal bike with parts hand picked by ME

2004 Mach 1 / UA / 5-speed / IUP

Click here to see and read about my bike

mtbr member
    Thought i would revive the Oklahoma forum, since there aren't many OK posts.

I just rode Lake Murrary in Ardmore last weekend and it was much better than i expected. Has a few borderline freeride areas with some 6 foot vertical drops, a few obstacles, etc. Overall a really nice trail. The local boy scout troop builds bridges for their eagle scout projects. Seven really nice bridges on the trail.
    I've never ridden turkey, but plan on it next time i'm in tulsa. Ridding Lake McMurtury for the first time in two weeks.

I live in Idabel.Trails are few and far between down here, but the womble is pretty close, though
    Anyway, just thought i would get a little oklahoma chat going again.
    2007 Specialized Stumperjumper FSR Expert

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by beer weasel
    Thought i would revive the Oklahoma forum, since there aren't many OK posts.

I just rode Lake Murrary in Ardmore last weekend and it was much better than i expected. Has a few borderline freeride areas with some 6 foot vertical drops, a few obstacles, etc. Overall a really nice trail. The local boy scout troop builds bridges for their eagle scout projects. Seven really nice bridges on the trail.
    I've never ridden turkey, but plan on it next time i'm in tulsa. Ridding Lake McMurtury for the first time in two weeks.

I live in Idabel.Trails are few and far between down here, but the womble is pretty close, though
    Anyway, just thought i would get a little oklahoma chat going again.
    Props on getting the OK chat going. I just joined not too long ago, just for a wheelset question, and then figured why not join another forum, and stay on it. Forums seem to be running my online life, but owell, knowledge is power.

So you live in Idabel? I live in Tulsa, so I get the luxury of being only a short drive from Turkey. About 8 min away to be exact. Let me tell you, from what I hear and what I've experienced (I've only ridden Turkey, Keystone, and McMurtry) , Turkey is the most technical trail in the state, if not in the region too. But my trail experience on different trails is limited to those three trails as you just read. McMurtry is a dream. Relaxing and fast, or slow and technical, depending upon what you want from it. Very few technical areas compared to the likes of Turkey.

I just mapped out Idabel, and Ardmore, and d*mn, Ardmore is far from Tulsa. I just drove past it on I-35 S on my way to Austin last week. And heck, Idabel is even further from here it seems like. Never been down your way, but my bro rode some trails at Beaver Bend State Park (I think) a while ago. I am guessing they are pretty weak though, as his wife and kids rode too.

Sorry you live so far from good trail areas. Go here if you didn't know about this site for OK trail info (http://www.okearthbike.com/). There you will find a listing for trails in OK as well as other useful info.

And here is the TdD Series info (trails that the series is raced on) go here: http://www.okearthbike.com/tdd2006.html.

For info on Turkey, go here: http://www.okearthbike.com/Trail_Pages/turkey.html.

For info on McMurtry, go here: http://www.osucycle.com/. And for more info on the trails at McMurtry and how to get to them, go here: http://www.reddirtpedalers.com/MtnBikeRace/index06.asp.

With McMurtry, you have two trails on each the east and west sides of the lake, four total trails. But the catch is that there is at least a 5 mile ride/drive in between them.... on gravel. No shortcuts unfortunately. Only on gravel "city" roads to get to the other two trails. I usually will ride one or both on one side, do a fast load up, and drive to the other side, to ride the other one or both trails. Trail info to keep in mind: Daily Mountain Bike Fee of $5 per vehicle with two bikes (you can purchase this at a ranger station and there is one on each side). All bicyclists MUST wear a helmet. No beer or alcoholic beverages allowed. All pets must be on a leash. Trails are multi-use, so be aware of hikers.

And be careful of deer too, lol. I had a run in with one last time I went. Oh, and it is also a very snake prone environment too. My trail ratings from difficult to easy are as follows: Red (NE), Green (NW), Yellow (SW), Orange (SE). The red is too hard for me (the drops into the creek beds are too steep for me), Green is almost completely rideable (I have to dismount 5-10 times), Yellow is rideable (I have to dismount less than 5 times), and the Orange is for beginners (no dismounting needed by me) or if you just want some ease and speed.

T-Town has maps too: http://www.t-townbicycles.com/Maps03.htm

I planned on getting out this last summer and traveling more, say to TdD series trails, or the Womble, etc., but I just got engaged (last week) and bought a house (in Feb of this year), so my priorities got rearranged this year.

I really don't ride much past Oct, but post up in here or shoot me a PM if and when you come up to Tulsa for Turkey, maybe I'll join you, or my bro will. I am getting ready to install these parts: Mavic Enduros disc/UST wheelset, XTR front derailleur, XTR cassette, and some new XTR shifter cables. Soon it will be as if I am on a brand new bike.

I hope any or all that info helps you since you will be making a long drive up this way to ride those two trails, and if not, sorry I just wasted your time ready all ths I typed.

Last edited by OSUALUM78; 10-25-2006 at 03:11 PM.

mtbr member
    We rode clearbay, at lake Thunderbird east of Norman this summer in the midst of the heat, so the sand was very loose (and there is a lot of sand) but it should be perfect now with the rain we have had go through. Beerweasel, that is a lot closer to you. It is fast, has some fun manmade stuff and some technical spots. Also, bluff creek, right below the dam at lake hefner is fun. It is short, but like a little roller coaster going in and out of the creek bottom there. Also, go ride the 12 moh course at Ft. Sill. Just have to be careful during hunting season. I think they actually shut it down while the special seasons out there are going on. You can call ahead and see if it is open for riding, but I don't know the number. I have only ridden it during race weekends.

As far as technical trails go, if you can ride well at Turkey, in my limited experience, you won't have trouble riding anywhere. I haven't been a lot of otherplaces, but I have never been more challenged technically anywhere than Turkey Mtn.

mtbr member
    thanks osualum, I only make it up to tulsa a few times a year (and last time i brought my bike it rained the entire weekend) but i'll definately give you a shout when we head that way. It's not too far, about 3 hours. Turkey sounds BA. Thanks for the maps too, man. I was considering giving the TdD a shot next year in the beginner class, but wanted to ride all the trails in it this winter. Congrats on the engagement!! Nice parts list, too.

We have one new trail at Beaver's Bend that was built on the lake last year. It's an 8 mile. Very fast, not very technical. Nice views of the lake and the climbs make for a great work out. Other than that, i get very used to driving. Earthquake at Mena, Ark., lots of trails at Hot Springs, Ark, and Talimena drive trails are all pretty close. Planning a late Nov. womble trip, its about two hours away.

My brother and most of my friends are in OKC (idabel is tiny) so we make the drive about every other weekend. NuDraper is awesome and i like bluff creek too. Was tempted to ride clearbay about a month ago, but kept hearing sand horror stories.

I'm pumped about riding mcmurtury nov 12. I finally got my brother into serious riding and showed him the value of a nice bike, so he bought by comp and i just ordered a 07 stumpy expert. mcmurtury should break it in nicely.

SouthDakSooner, how's the riding up there? I know you guys don't have many hills or anything like mountainous Oklahoma

It's nice to have a real OK forum going!

shoes
    I have never had to pay a fee for anything...?
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Nevermind, SoDakSooner, I was thinking SoDak=South Dakota. But i see you live in Tulsa. Haha. Am i slightly hungover this morning?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah, Turkey mountain is a great place to ride, a little of everything. The osage hills trail is pretty good, a little more challenging than I expected. I've ridden it twice, The first time shortly after a race/rain, so it was pretty torn up. And again a month later, when it was in better shape. Greenleaf can be pretty tough, too.

mtbr member
    Greenleaf is another one I was wanting to hit before it gets ball-freezing cold. Anybody know how far it is from Muskogee? I was thinking it was like 30 minutes, but wasn't sure.

shoes
    I am from tulsa as well. I am currently building a trail between yale and hardvard off of 71st. Will post more when finished.
    The crows kept calling his name, thought Caw. - Jack Handy

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Greenleaf is probably a little more than 30 minutes from Muscogee, but not much, I think. For sure, the primitive loop gets a lot harder to follow in the fall with the leaves down. Maybe the trail is marked better now. One thing, make sure you allow yourself plenty of time if your doing both loops, as it's easy to run out of light before finishing the trail.

mtbr member
    Actually there is some good riding in SD, If you like to climb, it is a great place to go. I only climb so I can come down. I have ridden bits and pieces of the centennial trail on the north end. The bulldog section is an a## kicker, especially with a hangover. Lots of good stuff in the black hills though.

I do live in the Tulsa area (sand springs to be exact) Normally ride turkey every weekend, but hurt my knee out there at the beginning of sept, and in the process of getting it fixed. Took a corner too fast on the yellow and bike went off the edge. Luckily I stayed on the trail, but bounced the knee off the edge of a rock. You know it hurts when you feel like puking after you hit.

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner
    We rode clearbay, at lake Thunderbird east of Norman this summer in the midst of the heat, so the sand was very loose (and there is a lot of sand) but it should be perfect now with the rain we have had go through. Beerweasel, that is a lot closer to you. It is fast, has some fun manmade stuff and some technical spots. Also, bluff creek, right below the dam at lake hefner is fun. It is short, but like a little roller coaster going in and out of the creek bottom there. Also, go ride the 12 moh course at Ft. Sill. Just have to be careful during hunting season. I think they actually shut it down while the special seasons out there are going on. You can call ahead and see if it is open for riding, but I don't know the number. I have only ridden it during race weekends.

As far as technical trails go, if you can ride well at Turkey, in my limited experience, you won't have trouble riding anywhere. I haven't been a lot of otherplaces, but I have never been more challenged technically anywhere than Turkey Mtn.
    So sandy there at Clearbay, huh? Well thanks for the info, as I will be better prepared for my travel down there next year. I ride on an "all season" tire, Hutch Pythons, so I think they will be okay for sand use too. I am used to rocks and roots from Turkey. I've never heard of Bluff Creek. Any maps or directions? I don't know the OKC area very well. I've heard horror stories about the 12 MOH race, I couldn't imagine not racing it would be too much easier. Lawton is on my list of too far to travel, for pleasure or race rides, as in the TdD Series, you only need to hit these requirements to qualify for the points race: "A racer’s best 7 NORBA sanctioned TdD races will count for year end series awards. Racers must participate in at least 5 NORBA sanctioned TdD races to be considered for year end awards. A DNF (Does Not Finish) does count as race participation if it's needed to meet the minimum race requirement." And I don't think 12 MOH is a NORBA sanctioned race. If I race next year, I would be in Beginner Senior, as you really can't downgrade your race category level. And no, I haven't mastered Tuurkey yet. Everyday, I praise God that I don't end up in the hospital from riding there. Last outing with my bro, I warped my rear rim way bad, had to install a tube to ride out, and my bro broke his derailleur hanger which broke his derailleur, chain, and shift cable. He got all pissed, as well did I about my wheel for a split second...... but then I think about other plausible scenarios that can easily happen: broken arms, broken legs, broken collar bones, broken neck, etc., and remember as long as I don't end up in the hospital, it was a successful ride. So far my worst from Turkey is a fractured sternum and a cracked helmet

2004 Mach 1 owner
    My replies in bold

thanks osualum No problem, I only make it up to tulsa a few times a year (and last time i brought my bike it rained the entire weekend) but i'll definately give you a shout when we head that way Cool. It's not too far, about 3 hours. Turkey sounds BA It is if you like slow technical garbage. Thanks for the maps too, man No problem, TTown has some maps of Turkey, but no maps really help out there. It is just best to ride with someone a few times till you get enough confidence you won't get lost out there by yourself. I was considering giving the TdD a shot next year in the beginner class, but wanted to ride all the trails in it this winter I wanted to do the TdD this year, but couldn't. I would ride Beginner Senior to start. I want to ride all the race trails before I race in the series too, but I don't winter ride. I hit the weights for winter time.. Congrats on the engagement!! Nice parts list, too.Thanks on the congrats. Nice parts list? Yeah thats not all in my parts list. I can only classify my bike as a dream to ride on.

We have one new trail at Beaver's Bend that was built on the lake last year. It's an 8 mile. Very fast, not very technical. Nice views of the lake and the climbs make for a great work out. Other than that, i get very used to driving. Earthquake at Mena, Ark., lots of trails at Hot Springs, Ark, and Talimena drive trails are all pretty close. Planning a late Nov. womble trip, its about two hours away.

My brother and most of my friends are in OKC (idabel is tiny) so we make the drive about every other weekend. NuDraper is awesome and i like bluff creek too. Was tempted to ride clearbay about a month ago, but kept hearing sand horror stories.

I'm pumped about riding mcmurtury nov 12. I finally got my brother into serious riding and showed him the value of a nice bike, so he bought by comp and i just ordered a 07 stumpy expert. mcmurtury should break it in nicely. Actually McMurtry won't do too much breaking in of your new "not-so-Specialized" bikes, but it will give you the opportunity to get familiar and comfortable with your bike without having a fear of a trip to the ER. Oh, and sorry for the crack about your Specialized, I am not a fan of them. Nor Cannondales, or as I call l them "Crackandfails". I am a fan of buying what you want because you want it, not because some sales guy pressured into thinking it is the best thing for you, which I see all to often. Hence why all my parts are custom hand picked by me. I am not a fan of buying a complete bike ready to ride from these retail stores. Now, I know, that buying a complete bike is a cheap way to get into the sport, but when you got the money to custom build, why do buy a premade bike? For most, they don't have the money. Understandable. But for the other 75%, they buy what they think is cool, or the "in thing" at that time. It really irks me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so use it. Be an individual. I am not stating that iis you or your bro, or anyone else on here, just my observation of what I see in the sport.

SouthDakSooner, how's the riding up there? I know you guys don't have many hills or anything like mountainous Oklahoma

It's nice to have a real OK forum going! Yes
    Do I talk alot of smack? Sure sometimes. Do I ride in the most brutual conditions for myself? Almost always. I am either hungover like the night before was New Years Eve, or still drunk... only on a couple hours of sleep, needing to take a runny push in the woods. I never try to take the easy way out.

Getting my bike back together tonight, if Jenson shipped my chainwhip. Hitting Turkey tomorrow morning with my bro

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Greenleaf is another one I was wanting to hit before it gets ball-freezing cold. Anybody know how far it is from Muskogee? I was thinking it was like 30 minutes, but wasn't sure.
    Just S of Braggs. Watch your speed around there. They like to pull over unknown vehicles. My fiance is from just S of Braggs, a town called Gore. I drive thru/past Greenleaf to get to her rents house there.

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by scrwscrnnms
    I am from tulsa as well. I am currently building a trail between yale and hardvard off of 71st. Will post more when finished.
    Huh? Exactly where? I live off of 83rd Street, which is off of Harvard, just S of 81st, behind what used to be a MedEx.

2004 Mach 1 owner
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner
    Actually there is some good riding in SD, If you like to climb, it is a great place to go. I only climb so I can come down. I have ridden bits and pieces of the centennial trail on the north end. The bulldog section is an a## kicker, especially with a hangover. Lots of good stuff in the black hills though.

I do live in the Tulsa area (sand springs to be exact) Normally ride turkey every weekend, but hurt my knee out there at the beginning of sept, and in the process of getting it fixed. Took a corner too fast on the yellow and bike went off the edge. Luckily I stayed on the trail, but bounced the knee off the edge of a rock. You know it hurts when you feel like puking after you hit.

That sucks dude. I've been out waiting on parts. Be back tomorrow morning though. I usally start my ride there wanting to puke, and have done so in the parking lot a few times.

I usually ride Yellow trail for warm up, and I will do the Fairydust for technical skill training

Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast