Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1366
    boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcfan View Post
    Hi guys, just joined, im looking into getting into the mtb scene, I havent rode a bike since 92 after a bad motorcycle wreck! Well, in the last year my boys 6&9, have started racing bmx and it along with them begging me to ride with them, I have bought a cruiser to ride the track, and pump track I built! But after, building the pump track I have wondered how much I would like blazing trails. I love it on my quad.so my question is in our area is it better to look for fully suspended bike or a hard tail. I know nothing about mtb. Right now but I will, learn. Thanks
    In this game you need to be honest with yourself; are you going to ride occasionally or often? If you're wanting to test the waters affordably there's some fantastic hardtail bikes out there for around a grand. (Cheaper models available too) If you're wanting to ride quite a bit then a dual suspension is the way to go. If you're riding Turkey Mtn. a lot a dualie is the way to go. With your background you'll probably advance pretty quickly and want the forgiveness the dualie gives you, it will be a huge benefit as you ride trails on the west side of Turkey. I recommend going to T-Town at 71st & just east of riverside and ask for Jake or Chad; tell 'em what your long term goals and budget are; they'll take care of you. They've helped several of my friends.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin View Post
    In this game you need to be honest with yourself; are you going to ride occasionally or often? If you're wanting to test the waters affordably there's some fantastic hardtail bikes out there for around a grand. (Cheaper models available too) If you're wanting to ride quite a bit then a dual suspension is the way to go. If you're riding Turkey Mtn. a lot a dualie is the way to go. With your background you'll probably advance pretty qtuickly and want the forgiveness the dualie gives you, it will be a huge benefit as you ride trails on the west side of Turkey. I recommend going to T-Town at 71st & just east of riverside and ask for Jake or Chad; tell 'em what your long term goals and budget are; they'll take care of you. They've helped several of my friends.
    Thanks man, I will check them out. Im wanting to try out trailspring next time I go to Missouri.

mtbr member

Tulsa-ok Area Riders

Has anybody driven by the hills adj from the port of catoosa really nice elevation changes. I would love to know who owns that

mtbr member

Tulsa-ok Area Riders

In other words I'd like to help build some new trails in the area if anyone has any leads on spots or has already started working on some just let me know I've been reading and scouting out new spots that might be good spots to ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am in the Tulsa area just started mountain biking, and sadly already trashed my bike I believe.

mtbr member

Tulsa-ok Area Riders

[Q UOTE=wesg631;10948074]I am in the Tulsa area just started mountain biking, and sadly already trashed my bike I believe.[/QUOTE] what's the problem?

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by wesg631 View Post
    I am in the Tulsa area just started mountain biking, and sadly already trashed my bike I believe.
    If you're riding at Turkey it's tough on bikes and parts!!! Especially when you first begin to ride.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This happened yesterday on the red trail at turkey mountain.

Tulsa-ok Area Riders-bike-wreck1.jpgTulsa-ok Area Riders-bike-wreck2.jpg

boomer
    This happened yesterday on the red trail at turkey mountain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike wreck1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	863726Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike wreck2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	863727
    I'd take that straight to the Giant dealer and ask for warranty or crash replacement.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I took it to Tom's right after it happened. They told me to get back with them tomorrow so that they can get in contact with Giant. I am thinking of getting something a little more capable than this. I bought it to see if I would enjoy mountain biking. Needless to say I do not prefer the pink trail as much as the red trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I feel for ya man. Buying a bike is a tough decision because you don't want to overspend for something if you don't end up using it much, but at the same time you want the best bike you can afford. It definitely saves money over the long run if you can get a pretty capable bike from the start for Turkey assuming you plan on riding alot.

@Okie_Calvin - you still ride with Buddy any? After being away for a few yrs I'm picking up my new ride this week and will start riding at Turkey again. Hope to see you out there.

boomer
    Tulsa-ok Area Riders-photo.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw533 View Post
    @Okie_Calvin - you still ride with Buddy any? After being away for a few yrs I'm picking up my new ride this week and will start riding at Turkey again. Hope to see you out there.
    Not yet; he's been involved in moto quite a bit as of late with his son and track. He's actually holding a sanctioned race on his place soon. He says he'll get back to riding someday since he's working in Tulsa again. Now'd be a good time for him to start again since I've only been riding about once or twice a month for the last 2 years; if you see a fat dude on a black Yeti SB95 that's me so holler and I'll give you all the laughs you need. (usually with the wife and she's on a blue Intense, prettiest bike (and rider) at Turkey!)
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Can you please tell me you hate the Yeti just so I can feel better? I turned down buying a SB66 online with a race build for about $1700 off of MSRP because Yeti isn't making that frame going forward and I hate buying online. Decided to support Bicycles of Tulsa again because they have always taken great care of me. Picked up a Trance 27.5 1. So if you pass a fat slow guy on a silver Trance that looks like he is trying to learn to ride again that's me.

By the way you ever get money from that punk's dad to replace your daughter's broken skate board? Funniest blog post I've ever read man, bring back the Kung-Fu.

boomer
    Can you please tell me you hate the Yeti just so I can feel better? I turned down buying a SB66 online with a race build for about $1700 off of MSRP because Yeti isn't making that frame going forward and I hate buying online. Decided to support Bicycles of Tulsa again because they have always taken great care of me. Picked up a Trance 27.5 1. So if you pass a fat slow guy on a silver Trance that looks like he is trying to learn to ride again that's me.

By the way you ever get money from that punk's dad to replace your daughter's broken skate board? Funniest blog post I've ever read man, bring back the Kung-Fu.
    Ha, great memory and yes he paid...in full, long live the fu!

Here's what I can tell you about the SB:

I've ridden the following bikes over the past 5 years (I've got a bro that buys a LOT of bikes), here's a list:

100mm travel Stumpjumper
    125mm travel Stumpjumper
    Fisher Superfly 100
    Intense Tracer 29
    SC Tallboy
    Yeti Big Top
    Niner Ros9
    Niner One9
    Niner Air9
    Niner Sir9
    Niner Rip9
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Soon to be Specialized Enduro S-Works
    Yeti SB95

I feel comfortable saying I've been on just about every "it" bike out there and the Yeti...is by far the best I've been on.

Sorry
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am probably going to be looking at the Giant STP ss, kind of go back to my dirt jumping/downhill roots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    It just depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. If you really plan on riding Turkey more for a little more than the price of the STP you can get a full suspension Trance 27.5 version 3. I'm still shocked your current bike did that. I rode a mid level Rockhopper and my brother-n-law a low level Hardrock both Specialized bikes out there for years without breaking anything. Giant has an awesome warranty department and I'm sure they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It just depends on what type of riding you plan on doing. If you really plan on riding Turkey more for a little more than the price of the STP you can get a full suspension Trance 27.5 version 3. I'm still shocked your current bike did that. I rode a mid level Rockhopper and my brother-n-law a low level Hardrock both Specialized bikes out there for years without breaking anything. Giant has an awesome warranty department and I'm sure they will take care of you.
    How is the trance 3 I've been toying with the idea of buy one, but wondering if waiting till I can afford one with full fox suspension? Any thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have kicked around the idea of a full suspension rig, but I don't know I like my hard tails.
    Mainly at Turkey I ride the red trail. I live closer to Keystone, but have not been out there yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I really like Keystone, but I would want a full suspension even more out there. That entire trail is constant baby head and bigger rocks all over.

Can anyone comment on the snake activity out there last spring? Not sure why God gave me no fear of heights, speed, spiders, and women but damn do those ground crawlers really get to me. Last time I rode at Turkey yrs ago I ran over 2 copperheads which isn't a big deal, but I always figure on a technical climb right when I lose momentum and unclip there is going to be one of those bastards right where my foot is. Sorry for off topic I just need some group therapy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am not scared of the snakes, that doesn't mean i like them though. A little more off topic I came down pretty hard on that crash do you know if it is good to still be a little I guess I would call it foggy. I can still fully concentrate on a task like at work , I don't really know how to describe it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dude you are more than just foggy if you aren't scared of snakes. In all seriousness I'm no dr maybe go see one if you ain't feeling right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am not scared of the snakes, that doesn't mean i like them though. A little more off topic I came down pretty hard on that crash do you know if it is good to still be a little I guess I would call it foggy. I can still fully concentrate on a task like at work , I don't really know how to describe it.
    Man you need to be checked out! I rodeTM for the first time Sunday, had a blast but im sure,I looked like a goon in mostly full gear chest protector and full face helmet. Now im glad I wore it reading this! I always preach to my kids about protection and in the back of my mind if I hit my melon my kids would never let me live it down, and I thought I must set the example!
    I hope your partly cloudy melon get to normal soon!
    I am terrified of a grass snakes!!!! Enough said

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin View Post
    Ha, great memory and yes he paid...in full, long live the fu!

Here's what I can tell you about the SB:

I've ridden the following bikes over the past 5 years (I've got a bro that buys a LOT of bikes), here's a list:

100mm travel Stumpjumper
    125mm travel Stumpjumper
    Fisher Superfly 100
    Intense Tracer 29
    SC Tallboy
    Yeti Big Top
    Niner Ros9
    Niner One9
    Niner Air9
    Niner Sir9
    Niner Rip9
    Niner Rip9 RDO
    Soon to be Specialized Enduro S-Works
    Yeti SB95

I feel comfortable saying I've been on just about every "it" bike out there and the Yeti...is by far the best I've been on.

Sorry

It was difficult being around that Enduro today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone interested in hitting up keystone Sunday afternoon for my new bikes maiden voyage?

boomer
    Anyone interested in hitting up keystone Sunday afternoon for my new bikes maiden voyage?
    It depends; what kind of bike is it?
    Calvin

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast