Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1359
    mtbr member
    Any of you who know Turkey Mountain have an opinion on how approachable it is for a beginner with only road experience? Most of what I read says it's pretty technical. Curious about how much I'd be walking the bike vs. riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Some trails out at Turkey are pretty good for beginners. Others not so much. I've been out there 3-4 times and have found a few trails that are a good time. They aren't exactly labeled on a map but there are plenty of people around that wouldn't mind leading you around.

Trails I would hit:

Kopperhead
    Snake
    Treehugger

You can go north past the new parking lot on Elwood and turn around at the top of the hill then park on the west side of Elwood across from what looks like an old parking lot that is blocked off. Cross the road with your bike and go north on the pink trail. If you'd like, pm me your email address and I can send you a map my little sister made for me to ride Kopperhead and Snake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As an aside I will be there tomorrow around 10AM if you're looking for another beginner to ride with. My sister isn't a beginner persay but she is using me to keep her pace down for a while.

mtbr member
    Sorry, was out of town and missed your reply. Plus, still bike shopping at the moment, otherwise I'd have taken you up on the offer. If all goes well, I'll either be buying or building up a ride toward the end of December. Just got a few kinks to iron out before that.

Thanks for the reply and recommendations.

mtbr member
    you can also hit up Bomb Cellar (the trailhead just south of the new parking lot, behind the rock garden), follow it around and it'll spit you out on the paved path, and you can go a little further down and hit up the LoChi on north side of paved trail - nasty climb at end but you can just turn around and ride it back out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Last time i rode Bomb Cellar there was a tree down across the trail after the big drop. It is a great trail though.

mtbr member
    it was cleared off Friday I believe

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    it was cleared off Friday I believe
    Right on! Is there a group that does trail maintenance? How can one get involved with them? I live about an hour away but would like to help out in the future.

mtbr member
    they have maintenance days usually in the spring, but you can probably contact the Riverparks group via thier website about working on trail.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Rawk View Post
    Right on! Is there a group that does trail maintenance? How can one get involved with them? I live about an hour away but would like to help out in the future.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok, giving this a shot since I'm a newb on the boards and can not make my own post... Does anyone know any MTB Store's that I can rent from in the Tulsa Area... will be there for a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    I don't know off the top of my head.. maybe Tom's? Riverparks has the pay to use bikes, but I think those get put away for the winter

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tulsa mtb rentals - help

Traveling there for next 2 weeks. Looking to hit some local trails and rent a bike.

Anyone know any stores with some decent rental fleets:

Looking for Small frame: HT or Full Squish

Currently ride 29er HT, want to see what the deal is with Full Squishes. Also would be interested in some 26er bikes as well.

Also, besides Turkey Mtn, are there any other local trails. Saw Keystone but it looked questionable whether it was still rideable/open? Will be near the Broken Arrow area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    I don't know off the top of my head.. maybe Tom's? Riverparks has the pay to use bikes, but I think those get put away for the winter
    Sorry, the earlier post was me trying to get out my 5 posts before I could... anyhow, thanks for Tom's... will check it out! What trails are open (off road mtb) besides Turkey?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csquared11111 View Post
    Sorry, the earlier post was me trying to get out my 5 posts before I could... anyhow, thanks for Tom's... will check it out! What trails are open (off road mtb) besides Turkey?
    Keystone should be ok, McMurtry is bout an hour away (by stillwater). Can hop on 412 and go to Arkansas, apparently Slaughter Pen in Bentonville is supposed to be nice.

But between Keystone and Turkey, you will have plenty of riding to do in two weeks

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by csquared11111 View Post
    Someone posted before that Spoke House on Lewis rents bikes but I don't know for sure and I've never been there. I'd call them and see if they do before you arrive.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What are the more advance trails out here/fun/techie/downhill (turkey Mtn)? Looking to ride sometime this week. Anyone have GPX FILES? If you had 1.5 hours to ride, what section/trail would you ride?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the trail recommendations above. Gonna try to get out this weekend for the maiden voyage, but with holiday stuff already building up, who knows if I will or not.

One quick question, do you guys have any tire recommendations for Turkey Mountain? The bike I got is currently sporting a pair of WTB Vulpines, which are semi-slick and seem to be more of a race tire. Appropriate for TM? I was considering putting something a little more grippy on the rear.

... or I guess I could just go ride and stop worrying.

boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Thanks for the trail recommendations above. Gonna try to get out this weekend for the maiden voyage, but with holiday stuff already building up, who knows if I will or not.

One quick question, do you guys have any tire recommendations for Turkey Mountain? The bike I got is currently sporting a pair of WTB Vulpines, which are semi-slick and seem to be more of a race tire. Appropriate for TM? I was considering putting something a little more grippy on the rear.

... or I guess I could just go ride and stop worrying.
    Tough question and you'll likely get a different answer from each person you talk to.

Go for something substantial due to the rocks; the Hans Dampf is pricy but grips like a hobo on a bowl of stew.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Spoke house has a demo fleet of jamis 27.5 full squish they will prob work out a rental with no prob

mtbr member
    tip i learned yesterday: don't get taken over to the west side (sans the old boys/75/boomarang loop) after you've been riding for a few hours. lots of cussing and falling over goes on

mtbr member
    I had a remarkably similar experience. My first time on the pink trail. Was tired and got frustrated and rode home. Is there much on the West side that's beginner friendly? A lot of what I saw and rode on (well... walked on, if I'm being honest) was a bit past my skill level.

mtbr member
    The trails are gonna be prime at turkey after this rain just wish we could get the temp in the 50s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallen4520 View Post
    The trails are gonna be prime at turkey after this rain just wish we could get the temp in the 50s
    nice for the most part - albeit a few muddy spots here and there last night

mtbr member
    Awesome I got 4 or5 miles in last night as well ill be out there agin tonight

mtbr member
    yeah I believe I'll go back out and freeze for a loop or so

Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 37 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast