Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1363
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davthedude
    i was about to cross the rocky creek bottom that leads to the stair step hill that is the start of fairy dust or cork screw and was going up a small off camber clay area that i have ridden probably a 100 times when i lost traction and fell over on a rock, not fast or violent at all but the pain was radical. so now im hanging out eating loritabs and watching the tube with Razcal

Thanks for all your well wishes i usually heal fast so maybe it wont be to long.Probably miss DevilsDen though,oh well ill stop and pick up some Fat Tire on the way and kick back spectating.
    I don't know my Turkey trail names all that well, but I'm pretty sure that's the spot that I rode yesterday and said to myself "damn, someone ate **** there I bet!"

Ouch.

mtbr member
    I'll have to show you at an upcoming night ride. I've got lights but I rode solo all fall/winter last year. It would be nice to ride with some others and join for a beer or more afterwards.

It's not quite time yet, but the days aren't getting any longer. I love riding out there with my german shepherd off leash at night. Come on fall!!!!

boomer

ready to rumble?

Got this nugget (turd) from the Yahoo Earthbike list:

Gaaah! Turkey Mountain Improvements
    Posted by: "cleoyuan" doeish@hotmail.com cleoyuan
    Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 pm (PDT)

Hey Folks,

While cruising through a trail runner chatroom I came across an inquiry from an interested group of investors.The tenor of their posting makes it sound as if it is a done deal and they just want some yes people to ok the project! Please read this, I'm pasting in their inquiry from the other chat room (TATURS) below....

(posted August 31) "I am part of a group of private investors are interested in putting a new paved trail spanning from the new parking lot, down the east mountain, and then over to the YMCA. We would like to put in a restroom, and several drinking fountains along the way.

A survey team will be doing some preliminary work in the coming weeks, and one of our questions is whether we should cut a new trail, or clean up and pave one of the existing ones. My vote it for the trail that overlooks the river. This would allow so many more Tulsan's to enjoy the fantastic view, and would ultimately bring a lot of tourism dollars into Tulsa's economy.

In our last meeting, it was mentioned that we ought to get input from some of the joggers and bicyclists who use the park. Your thoughts and comments will be taken under consideration."

And here is the other post, after 100% negative feedback from the trail running community (bless their soles):

(posted Sept. 1) Rest assured, Mr. Blewett, it is not our intent to stir up trouble. We are wanting feedback from the trail users as to how our efforts would be best appreciated. It would seem that posing a question on a running forum as well as mountain biking forums would generate the helpful comments we need.

We plan to distribute fliers to cars in the parking areas of Turkey Mountain, as well as parking areas along the east river corridor. We also plan to take out a full page ad in the Sunday World living section. This particular trail project is only one of the endeavors we would like to see through, and all of our projects are directed towards a lifestyle of healthy living.

Sincerly,
    James Snyder
    Tulsa, OK[/I]

Don't know about you guys but I get awful tired of hearing people wanting to mess with this piece of land!
    Calvin

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Call me crazy, but I would appreciate some positive development on Turkey mountain. I like how we now have paved parking and a bathroom going up. I think it makes TM more of a park and less like a trash dump next to a waste management facility. I would be okay with a paved loop for more recreational folks, and as a bailout route. Smithville Lake near KC has done this to great effect, combining many miles of paved trails interspersed with singletrack. This allows you to bring the whole family out to enjoy a ride. I brought the family out to Turkey and it was too rough for them, and I think that tends to turn them off mountain biking. Improved signage and maps would be great too. Just this weekend I was out riding and had to direct some lost hikers back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmxc9
    call me crazy
    I'll bite. You're crazy.

There are lots of paved paths around town and great parks. Lafortune, Mohawk, Woodward, Haikey creek, etc. The list goes on and on. So many places to recreate and enjoy the day for with the family. How many of these have mountain bike trails?

None...

If you want a natural setting in a tamer environment you can go to Oxley nature reserve.

Let's try and protect the limited resources we have.

Also, turkey mountain has signage stating that it is a wilderness area. I see Deer, birds of prey, armadillos, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, etc up there quite regularly. I'm not sure they want to deal with the bulldozing of trees, just so heavy equipment can come in and throw some asphalt down.

I also guarantee that in the vision for future planning that has taken place recently (with input from the community and a consultant) that there are definitely plans and visions to increase park and open spaces. I also would be willing to bet that there aren NOT any future plans to increase the number of trail running and mountain bike areas. Therefore, we have a finite resource and every swath or portion of it that is reduced is a reduction in the opportunity to enjoy nature, solitude, and our passion for our sport.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    From my experience in the KC area, there a number of trails (Landahl, Smithville Lake, and Walnut Woods) that have manmade improvements, and even paved trails, and yet have maintained a good natural setting. A certain amount of improvements are actually beneficial to the natural setting (ie trail maintenance to prevent erosion and excessive new-trail making). I think this has a lot to do with having an organized trail builder organization in the area (KC Earthriders).

mtbr member
    I am sure you are right about having an organized trail building club effecting the limited number of trails. I also agree that paved areas don't have to detract from the experience. IF you have alternative places to go to experience the true trail experience.

We don't have an organized group or the wooded land to build on so it's best to protect what we have. The only trails within 30 minutes are turkey and keystone. After that you have to travel 1 hour to mcmurtry, 2 hours for OKC trails, or 3.5 hours to Arkansas. If you like 2-3 hour rides, then Turkey is the only place because of the variety of backtrails. Cutting into that network is not desirable.

Turkey kind of evolved over time from mountain bikers building social trails. I know guys who rode all through the early 90's up there when no one ventured up there. It has primitive roots so people want to keep it rustic and as natural as place like that is gonna get.

I grew up here but I have lived in many cities that had giant sprawling parks with everything from mtn biking to box car derby tracks to model airplane runways, etc. They were truly multi purpose parks. Turkey is not that place. Although I would love to have a park like those, it would need to be a place purchased and set forth with that purpose. We need more parks and places to ride. We shouldn't reduce the amount of trails we have especially the ho chi at Turkey which is kind of the "crown jewel." It's the only flowy piece of trail out there really besides the intro to the red loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Trail work organization

Actually there is a trailwork organization it is called the Turkey Mountain Preservation Society. I lead it w/ the approval of the Riverparks. We have trail work days each semester w/ students from ORU & Jenks (and anyone else that we can talk into showing up).
    The majority of us are mountain bikers, but we do have all groups represented (bikers, hikers, equestrians)
    I created a Turkey Mountain Facebook page and send updates on workdays (along w/ other info) on that http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tulsa-...7074602?ref=ts
    I also have an e-mail list I use to send out info. If you would like to be on the list, send me a PM.

Thanks, Scott

mtbr member
    Thanks for your work. I was speaking about a trail work club that goes beyond riverparks. Like a true mountain bike trailbuilding club. Just about every city I have lived in has a club that has acquiring land and building trails as part of their charter.

You guys do a fantastic job at Turkey and I was there at the last trail day.

Beyond what you guys do, I don't think we have enough people riding in town to get a dedicated club going.

So I'll just keep on helping out when you guys call the horn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Thanks for your work. I was speaking about a trail work club that goes beyond riverparks. Like a true mountain bike trailbuilding club. Just about every city I have lived in has a club that has acquiring land and building trails as part of their charter.

You guys do a fantastic job at Turkey and I was there at the last trail day.

Beyond what you guys do, I don't think we have enough people riding in town to get a dedicated club going.

So I'll just keep on helping out when you guys call the horn.
    Thanks Clay we try hard. Yeah I remember that, appreciate the work for sure! Think we rode Chilly Bike together too, yeah?
    The problem w/ trying to organize another club is the whole getting people to help out thing Mountain bikers in this town are notorious about moaning & complaining about our trails, but when it comes down to putting their work behind their mouths people disappear. I have been trying to get something like that going for 15+ years.

The TMPS w/ the backing of the Riverparks has been a really good set up. The Riverparks is actually open to building new trails up at Turkey, but nobody has ever approached them for official approval....people just start cutting unapproved trails and it is causing problems.
    The Riverparks also has the experience with raising funds to acquire additional land that could potentially be used to build more trails.
    I personally think the land surrounding the water towers up there would be great to acquire, it is privately owned now.
    That terrain is a lot more smooth than the trails at Turkey and could potentially provide us with riding similar to Stillwater, Draper, Lake Thunderbird. It would be nice to have something totally different from the Turkey/Keystone type trails. I prefer the rough trails, but the ability to ride something completely different in our own backyard would be a lot of fun. It would be really nice for people new to the sport as well, Turkey/Keystone can be very overwhelming.
    The first thing that needs to happen is to have a successful management of Turkey w/ all of the additional traffic that will be going up there once the parking lot is completely finished. I believe once the Riverparks sees that they would be open to helping us acquire additional land for other trails.

Sorry for the long reply, but thought it would help paint a better picture of what has been going on w/ TMPS/Turkey/Riverparks and where our thinking is going forward. TMPS' vision is very similar to what the Freeriders are trying to accomplish & what you are proposing w/ acquiring additional land. It can just take a while for things like that to come together if you are going through the proper channels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone been up on the mountain yesterday or today? Is it a mud hole up there or has it dried up a bit?

mtbr member
    Just got back. Its money - mostly. Which is good because I was going nuts without riding. i rode jelly legs, fairy dust and then the upper ho chi. Its all good. A little wetter on the ho chi stuff but the back trails / ymca side is perfect!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the input Clay. I saw your post yesterday and immediately headed out for a ride. You were right, the trails were in great shape except for few spots.

Regarding the other topics recently posted...I'm all in favor of some more dedicated trail builders/clubs, etc. This Turkey Mountain Preservation Society thing started strong but has seriously fizzled. I like the wilderness feel of the trails, but we have a few spots that are in need of some work up there. If anyone can get some group organized that's sustainable and approved by RiverParks (that's vitally important), I'm all in. I'm not the organizer type, but I can certain handle some trail work if anyone gets something organized.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Freewillie
    Thanks for the input Clay. I saw your post yesterday and immediately headed out for a ride. You were right, the trails were in great shape except for few spots.

Regarding the other topics recently posted...I'm all in favor of some more dedicated trail builders/clubs, etc. This Turkey Mountain Preservation Society thing started strong but has seriously fizzled. I like the wilderness feel of the trails, but we have a few spots that are in need of some work up there. If anyone can get some group organized that's sustainable and approved by RiverParks (that's vitally important), I'm all in. I'm not the organizer type, but I can certain handle some trail work if anyone gets something organized.
    Freewillie - Have you been to any trailwork days? Have you been to any TMPS meetings? If not, how can you say it has fizzled? Things have been put on hold until the parking lot is finished, things have not fizzled. We have another trailwork day scheduled for 10/31. Let me know what areas you think need the most work and we will see if we can make those focus points.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd like to make it out for a trail day sometime. It just needs to be on a Saturday, or in the afternoon on Sunday for me to make it.

I am with the people that do not want to see a paved trail up on Turkey. Like someone else said, there are plenty of paved trails around Tulsa, if you want the view from Turkey, then start trail running, or mountain biking. Someone else already pointed out that Turkey is our only place, with Keystone being a close second place to go, but Turkey is really the only place you can ride on a regular basis, going after work.

I think putting in a paved trail would only bring more unwanted traffic to Turkey. I used to live down in Texas, and while it may not be related to accessibility, it seemed like a lot of the trails that had paved trails brought trouble to the area, including people damaging the trails, and hurting people using those trails with "items" placed on the trail, which do not belong there.

While the new parking lot and bathrooms will be nice, and I think it was much needed, I don't think adding a paved trail system to Turkey is the way to bring more "dollars" into Tulsa. Just my $0.02 worth.
    - Jason

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenai
    Freewillie - Have you been to any trailwork days? Have you been to any TMPS meetings? If not, how can you say it has fizzled? Things have been put on hold until the parking lot is finished, things have not fizzled. We have another trailwork day scheduled for 10/31. Let me know what areas you think need the most work and we will see if we can make those focus points.
    Maybe fizzled was too strong of a word. I was at both TMPS meetings that have been held in April and May. If there were more, I wasn't informed. Maybe I was left off the email distribution? I haven't heard anything since May, so I figured nothing had been going on. That's why I thought it had fizzled. The parking lot is nice, by the way. Can't wait until it's all finished.

Anyway, the 10/31 workday sounds great and I put it on my calendar just now. Other than the 10/31 work day, what's the latest on the TMPS? When is the next meeting? What else is planned beside this one workday?

Kenai, I appreciate anyone willing to take some leadership on these issues. Keep up the good work and keep us informed as best you can.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just out of curiosity...what is with the trail work days being on holidays. Halloween is obviously the 31st...the last trail day I was aware of happened on Mothers day or something like that I believe. Seems like bad times to try to get people out to spend a day working on trails. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wasn't even aware there were trail work days/meetings/groups.

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    The last one was on Valentines day I believe, I did not go because I like the comfort of a woman, and the bike don't care what day you clean up the trail.
    Halloween I can probably pull off, my kids don't care as long as I am there in time to walk with them at night.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

Build first, ask questions later.

mtbr member
    anyone ride the trails this morning ? how's their condition?

mtbr member
    I'm wondering the same thing. Most of the exposed dirt is good that I see around town, but there are areas with puddles still. So I am guessing some areas will be good but the problem spots where the trail doesn't drain will have standing water.

I'm on the fence about whether to venture out there or not. Anyone trying to push it?

Davir

Time off bike

im in 4 week off bike lost 3/4 of an inch of muscle in my left calf i found that quite amazing, i did how ever find an interesting wickie article on turkey mountain pictogliphs one possibility is Norseman sailed up the arkansas river and created them. they are down by the railroad tracks in a cave a hobo used to live in.If any one has seen the Heaver ruin stone they are similar.See doctor on monday maybe ill get some good news.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davthedude
    im in 4 week off bike lost 3/4 of an inch of muscle in my left calf i found that quite amazing, i did how ever find an interesting wickie article on turkey mountain pictogliphs one possibility is Norseman sailed up the arkansas river and created them. they are down by the railroad tracks in a cave a hobo used to live in.If any one has seen the Heaver ruin stone they are similar.See doctor on monday maybe ill get some good news.
    Huh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think it was 3/4" of brain, not muscle, because I didn't understand half of that either...

I also am with djmtpocket, what's with the holidays? You think it's hard enough to get people to show up for a trail WORK day, so we're making it harder by putting it on a holiday? Maybe it should also start at midnight, and go until 8AM...
    - Jason

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geogecko
    I think it was 3/4" of brain, not muscle, because I didn't understand half of that either...

I also am with djmtpocket, what's with the holidays? You think it's hard enough to get people to show up for a trail WORK day, so we're making it harder by putting it on a holiday? Maybe it should also start at midnight, and go until 8AM...
    The trailwork days are planned around the availability of the ORU mountain bike class. The professor writes them into the syllabus each semester and that guarantees at least 20 students will show up for the workdays.
    Yes the last one fell on Valentines Day and this one falls on Halloween. Seriously, using the holiday excuse on those two holidays is kinda weak. I am married & have two kids and the Mrs was fine w/ me working on the trails the morning of V-Day and is fine w/ morning trailwork on Halloween. If you are not comfortable working on a minor holiday, then don't come out...we get plenty accomplished w/ the 40+ people that do show up.

Freewillie - the meetings for TMPS meetings were put on hold until the parking lot gets finished. I dropped the ball on the notifications of that a bit. I couldn't figure out how to get on this thread (kept getting a blank screen) to post a notice & I accidentally deleted the e-mail list.
    I pretty much have the e-mail list compiled again and I am able to post in this thread again, so look for updates on meetings once the parking lot is finished.

Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 35 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast