Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ....pavements for homos

Davir

yes camper at blanard springs

Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin
    OK, now on a serious note; how many have ridden the Syllamo trails? I'm thinking of taking off on a solo trip for a li'l R&R solo style and checking them out.

Questions:
    1. Have you camped there? If so where? Showers etc. available?
    2. Is it worth starting at the easiest trail and progressing or go hard early and work my way down?
    3. Closest town and where to eat? I can only survive on GU's and breakfast bars for so long.
    4. What does it compare to locally speaking? Turkey, Draper, Bluff, McMurtry?

Gimme some details if possible please. I've seen the pics and it looks mighty fun.
    Blanchard springs campground

great camp ground its connected to the trails, hot showers, no electric hook ups, great cave, good hiking along syllamo creek in other words wonderful place to go trout fishing as well.check ozark national forest web site

mtbr member
    Dave - how was mas o menos? I hit up the chili bike. Perrrrrrrfect conditions. I hooked up with some other local riders and we completed all of the trails and the road in between for the ultimate challenge. 45 miles of goodness. 4 hours of saddle time. Gotta get more of those in for the Ouachita Challenge....

Snuck in a ride at Turkey today before another business trip back to Vegas in Dallas. These trips are killing me. It's been perfect riding weather.

Later -

Davir

mas or minos

Big fun Pete was 10 th in cat 1 seniors 100 k very big fast field over 60 riders.Big Daddy was 26 out of 48 50+ 50k.Chris was 3rd in his cat 1 age group 100k lots of riders over 400 from al over the place.We camped on site at the chili societys patch of dessert.rode the course on thursday and was humbled by the thes cuervas climb 1400 feet of pure suffering which came after 20 miles of dessert single track and jeep roads. 100 k course climbed it twice i only hadto get up the muther one time on the 50k. friday i rode at big bend ranch state park on some great trails.Saturday was race day.Im tryingto put some pictures up but it wouldnt up load ill try again.Local enviroment and the friendly people that live in terlingua really make this an experience.Just dont get lost out there.

Ras had a great time too no leash laws in terlingua and lots of friendly dogs to play with.

Davir

mas or minos

pics from terlingua
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Great Pic's, Dave!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recap....looks like alot of fun....did Chilly Bike, shoulda taken some pics!

Davir

sorry i missed chili

Chili bike is always a good time if its dry or frozen. a few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Great pics man...

I made the assumption based on the rain that chili bike would be another mudfest...bad call.

However,

Turkey was in phenomenal shape today. Get out there and ride it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    if i ride the same amount today, i will have logged 40 hours this week... im the only one there!

I can't weld
    Strong work. Are you checking mileage? About 200 in a month was the most I could do and that was about 2-3 rides a week three years ago when it was 60deg all January.
    Keep it up, base miles will pay off this summer, and consider doing the Tour de Dirt series. The race @ turkey is March 22. You'll definitely have a head start on everyone else. Turkey is a great place to train.

Tulsa
    i'm a fair weather biker and will be there soon enough, with the extra hour of light in a couple of weeks, folk can get a ride in on the way home

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    I've been busy, but will get my Devil's Den fix this weekend.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

Build first, ask questions later.

mtbr member
    Ive been running a lot this week to keep my cardio edge up, even if I can't get on the bike. My son has some sort of practice every night of the week, so makes it tough to get out. I certainly won't have 40 hours... but should have 25 miles of running by tomorrow afternoon.

Will be at Turkey Sun. Devil's den would be a fun thing to do. BIBO is it a race or are you guys all going over just to ride?

Plan on doing the pre-ride for HOH next saturday. Will pay and get the shirt, but not doing the race this year. Sunday commitments. Will probably also ride bluff creek or Draper, but would like to get a lap in at Clearbay, just because I haven't ridden it in a few years.

mosquito magnet
    Mar 2007
    Devil's den would be a fun thing to do. BIBO is it a race or are you guys all going over just to ride?

Just some guys from here, OKC, Texas, & Kansas meeting up to ride.
    It's always fun, except the shuttles up, it's either freezing cold in the back of a truck or 108F and stuck inside an enclosed trailer with 10 bikes and 9 other stinky guys.
    And my wife has the gall to call me crazy.
    aka PaperStreetSoapCo

Build first, ask questions later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiefab
    Strong work. Are you checking mileage? About 200 in a month was the most I could do and that was about 2-3 rides a week three years ago when it was 60deg all January.
    Keep it up, base miles will pay off this summer, and consider doing the Tour de Dirt series. The race @ turkey is March 22. You'll definitely have a head start on everyone else. Turkey is a great place to train.
    i doubt im fast enough... i mean im fast. but not ready to win just yet. maybe 4 more months..

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Awesome, thanks. I was actually searching for mountain bike pages a couple weeks ago, and never found anything. A few interesting results if you put in Turkey Mountain though...
    - Jason

Davir

paging Clay bear

where you been man? you absence has been conspicuous. maybe Switzerland or some where?

Davir

devils den

one of my favorite places nice quite camp ground with hook ups.a great trail and lots of exploratory riding. a cool cave, nice hiking, and LeeCreek near by classic Arkansas stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davthedude
    where you been man? you absence has been conspicuous. maybe Switzerland or some where?
    ding ding ding....

I'm over here until next Friday for work. Before I left I was getting some good riding in and preparing for some races and the ouachita challenge, but 11 days in Switzerland, Austria, and Liechtenstein kind of gets in the way. If it was summer, it would be a mountain biker's paradise. But it is cold with snow right now. I may try to take a train to one of the ski areas. I'm not a big snowboarder or skier, but I may rent some snowshoes. That's a great way to stay in shape.

They've got the turkey race pre marked out there. Should be a good course. I'm going down to Waco for the cameron park race Mar 15 when I get back. Are you and Pete going to that? Anyone else here?

Davir

heading to bar h today

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    ding ding ding....

I'm over here until next Friday for work. Before I left I was getting some good riding in and preparing for some races and the ouachita challenge, but 11 days in Switzerland, Austria, and Liechtenstein kind of gets in the way. If it was summer, it would be a mountain biker's paradise. But it is cold with snow right now. I may try to take a train to one of the ski areas. I'm not a big snowboarder or skier, but I may rent some snowshoes. That's a great way to stay in shape.

They've got the turkey race pre marked out there. Should be a good course. I'm going down to Waco for the cameron park race Mar 15 when I get back. Are you and Pete going to that? Anyone else here?
    going to do Bar h instead of thunderbird Cameron park could be possible.LETS KEEP WACO WACKO! See you at Turkey when you return.

mtbr member

Just playing if it works. Using another hosting site. Pic from Lo Chi today after my grand and glorious 3 total miles ...minor family emergency, very minor, but enough.

Gives you a small taste of the elevation change in the Arkansas river breaks in Tulsa

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like the flowieness (sp?) of the Lo Chi. It is fun to ride, and has little, if any, stopping points...well, until you get to the end of it, when you have to go up or turn around. It is also cool that you can hear/see people on upper sections of the trail.
    - Jason

Closekids.com

First ride at Turkey

As an OKC guy, I couldn't wait to get to Turkey and give it a shot... in a word, Sucked.

I may not know where I was going, but I took the top yellow line first and came back on the middle trail on the river side. Then went back down the blue all the way to the rock garden or rock hill. It should have been called Rocky Mountain, but I think that is already taken.

Now I do think for uber technical riders, Turkey represents something they won't get anywhere else in OK. But for someone that likes to cruise with some tech thrown in, this is not it.

Might have missed something, but "something for everyone" is not Turkey. Yellow here doesn't mean intermediate. But it might actually be "gold" not yellow.

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 48 ... LastLast