mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Stillwater/McMurtry East Trails Storm Damage

I rode McMurtry East today. North East loop was pretty much impassable a mile in. South Loop was in pretty bad shape but doable. I ran into a rancher on the trail and he said that he saw quite a few bikers pushing their rigs back to the trailhead with flats (uncommon here). I got one too, patch kit did not help (4" long thorn, no spare tube)... Lots of branches and trees down. Quite a bit of debris in the paths, leaves, branches, thorns, limbs, etc...

I will try to hit the west side and give a report if possible.
    2012 Specialized Rockhopper 26

mtbr member
    We were going to ride McCurtry sunday but opted out for Roman Nose Park. We plan to go to McCurtry in two weeks. Hopefully its in better shape. If you have not had a chance to get out to Roman Nose its worth the drive. And the food is great at the lodge also.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've been told Roman Nose is a pretty slick track. I work A LOT so I don't get to hit other trails very often. I've heard Draper is pretty good, too. The next race is in November, and they are concerned that it may not be ready in time. I'm going to try to volunteer as much as possible, but won't be able to get out there as much as is needed.

mtbr member
    We ride Draper every Tuesday and Thursday and really like it. Sometimes on Sunday if were not going on a short trip to ride.

to pedal or not to pedal
    Nov 2009
    A big crew hit the SE trail this morning and got it cleaned up. Another crew will begin work on the NE trail tomorrow. I don't believe anyone has began cleanup on the west side yet.

mtbr member
    Great news! I hope to be back in a weeks time. I hope to help with the west side as my schedule allows.

Just ride.
    Me and a bud are gonna hit up McMurtry this weekend, probably won't have time to ride all 27 miles...or whatever it is. Any suggestions on best routes...or which trails are "must do's"?

mtbr member
    The South East trail is called the Race Loop. Probably the better known course. South West is an easy ride. North West has some decent climbing and good singletrack. I have not been on the North East loop except after the storm, which at that time was impassable. It is the hardest, so I've heard. I've been told it has some drop offs and a lot of rock. All trails are cleared now, and in good shape.

Just ride.
    Sweet man, lookin forward to it. I had also heard NE had some decent drops, if so...REALLY looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_MTBer View Post
    Sweet man, lookin forward to it. I had also heard NE had some decent drops, if so...REALLY looking forward to it.
    Did you end up riding McCurtry this last weekend and how was it. Im going out there this weekend or next.

mtbr member
    I just rode the race track (SE Loop) last night. The trail is VERY fast right now. Had an excellent lap about 8:30 pm, and posted my fastest time so far.

Just ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    Did you end up riding McCurtry this last weekend and how was it. Im going out there this weekend or next.
    Yea, I ended up riding it. Southeast and Southwest were killer fast, super flowy, and perfectly packed. Northeast is yes, technical, but not in a good way. All the drops and sharp downhills are eroded out from poor building (mostly fall line trail). Didn't get a chance to ride the Northwest, but McMurtry is definitely worth the trip.

mtbr member
    I just did the NE trail this morning. NW, SW, and SE are great. NE is pretty difficult in parts. Especially on a hardtail. I probably won't be back for a while. It was very difficult to keep any rhythm going for any period of time.