mtbr member

St louis bike path master plan/river-ring.

I think I'm a little behind the times.

I'm only 19, didn't get into mountain biking until recently and have only just started thinking about how st louis needs bike paths. For a while I was ticked we didn't have many, but I started seeing more bike lanes built on the perimeter of roads as well as local greenways.
    That, along with some rumors I've heard, prompted me to do some research and see if there was anything serious in the works.

Then I found this.
    Gateway Bike Plan Identifies a 1,000-mile Bicycle Network | Regional Bike Plan | Bicycle Master Plan for the City of St. Louis, St. Louis County and St. Charles County Missouri | Great Rivers Greenway Project

And this.
    River Ring

I've tried researching some more and making some calls to find out where everything is in terms of specific plans and deadlines, but couldn't find much.

Am I the only one that didn't know about this?
    Anyone on here involved? Anyone know how I could help move this forward? I couldn't find much.

The river ring sounds amazing, but the 1000 mile bike plan sounds even better. We need bikes to be just as viable as cars, especially where I live in west county where I could run some errands on a cyclocross bike and then hit up the meremac greenway on the way home.

Again, I know I'm obviously behind the times. Anyone else as excited as I am? I was thinking about leaving st louis once I graduate because frankly, it doesn't have much going for it. But this is making me re-think that. The trestle downtown sounds especially cool, though unfortunately short and expensive.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

More on the St. Louis Master Bike Plan & River Ring Progress - Great Rivers Greenway

Hi, Josh! Danni here from Great Rivers Greenway! So glad you found us!

We were created in 2000 by a vote of the people. They voted for clean water, safe parks and community trails and we've been hard at work delivering on that ever since.

We have identified around 600 miles of off-road greenways within the River Ring that we would like to complete. Presently, we have completed 104 miles of greenways and 84 miles of Bike St. Louis pathways.

We have identified 17 greenways we deem critical to creating the most needed connectivity and those are the ones we're working on first.

You might also be interested to attend our next open house for Grant's Trail's newest expansion. We'll be announcing that date in the spring.

We just announced plans on Monday to extend Grant's Trail from 8 to 10 miles, and then ultimately all the way to River des Peres Greenway. Once those connections are made, we'll have our largest straight-through connectivity in a really well-used area at around 16 miles! You can view plans and read about it on the news section of our website (the forum won't let me post a link). The article is called, "Residents play a vital role in making the St. Louis Region a better place to live."

You can stay connected with all of our projects on Facebook and Twitter with the links below. You can also call us anytime! Thanks for being a supporter of our work. We are so glad to see your enthusiasm!

On Facebook & Twitter, we are GreatRiversSTL.

To follow our Trestle project, find us on Facebook & Twitter as TrestleFriends.

For more on Bike St. Louis, find us on Facebook & Twitter as BikeStLouis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Getting Involved

Josh,

Forgot to tell you! If you want to get involved, we will be looking for volunteer help in 2013 for keeping our greenways beautiful. If you email me your contact info, I'll put you in our volunteer database for when that program goes live.

We're also launching a year-long "support your parks & greenways" initiative in 2013 on social media, on our website, and with opportunities to get involved in real life. If you stay tuned on social & web, we'll keep you posted on events you can come to and ways you can support our work. We will have trails opening in 2013 with celebrations, and we'll have amazing events during May for National Bike Month as well.

Just as you said - we're working to make that shift from a car-centric community to a bike/ped community and we can use all the help we can get - but first we want to show everyone the need and what we can do to address it.

You can email me anytime at deickenhorst AT grgstl DOT org

Pickin' n' Grinnin'
    Personally, I do think the Saint Louis area lacks in urban development of friendly riding structure of it's roads. I have lived here for over 22 years in Webster Groves and although I am centrally located to most anything, it's hard to get around on a bicycle.

That said, if a person is looking for a bicycle-friendly recreational area, this is a hard area to beat. We have many places to MTB, from Catlewood to Chubb to Weldon Spring and areas in-between. We also have the beginning of the Katy Trail at over 200 miles one-way. Paved bike paths are pretty abundant, with Creve Coure lake and Grant's Trail being but a few, and then there is the big 110-mile network of paved bike trails over the river in Madison County, Illinois with the Madison County Transit (MCT) trail system, stretching out from just past the Arch to the far countryside in Alhambra and Marine and Staunton, Illinois.

While the suburbs and metro STL have deficiencies, the area as a whole offers much more than a lot of areas when it comes, at least, to recreational bicycling.

Hopefully, the area will catch up in the regular bicycle transportation department.
    Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...