Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

St. Louis area riding.

So far i have only found castle wood and chubb trail around saint louis. this fall i hope to make it out to greensfelder park because i hear that is a better single track. I like loops and that is why i often dont ride the chubb trail. Anyone know any other places around within 30 minutes or so of St. Louis Area. also anywhere down in south eastern missouri?

I Love Lamp
    gorctrails.com will tell you everything you need to know
    It's T-Shirt time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +1 for gorc! St. Charles has 5 trails in the area
    Matson Hill being my favorite for now along with Greensfelder which are with in the area
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

I Love Lamp
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiba Inu's Rock View Post
    +1 for gorc! St. Charles has 5 trails in the area
    Matson Hill being my favorite for now along with Greensfelder which are with in the area
    Matson Hill is definately my favorite as well; I have yet to ride Greensfelder. I tend to avoid shared horse trails.
    It's T-Shirt time!

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    +1 for Matson Hill....the trail was fun even when it was short....the added trail a year or so back onto the newly acquired park land made it that much better. I never miss Matson Hill when I visit my father in Missouri (of course I can pedal there from his house which is a mile down the road so it's hard to skip it).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    +5 for having cool parents that live in defiance (love it out there) and from your link you have good trails where your at!
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Yep Defiance rocks...if I lived in the STL area that is where I'd buy a house. I love being able to roll out of my dad's driveway and pedal to Matson, Lost Valley, and Klondike or even a combo of them. Leaving the truck in the driveway makes it feel more pure for some reason. The KATY makes it all so nicely possible. If I did that here in NC to get to my closest trail (Poston Trail) it's an 8 mile ride on paved hilly roads with traffic. I've done it once....it sucked. The KATY is a great connector...flat, crushed surface, no automobiles. Sometimes I skip the singletrack altogether and just ride the KATY with my wife, dad, and step-mom who are not mountain bikers and that's nice also....especially when it involves riding up to the Augusta Brewery for a few beers! Great area....really.

So yeah not to thread-jack but we (bikePASA) got some nice stuff going down here in NC, our local Parks and Rec department is great to work with and we've been building lots of singletrack and lately even some primitive greenways (which I take inspiration from the KATY trail for). Here's a little vid of our flagship trail mentioned above...Poston.
    Last edited by zod; 08-31-2011 at 11:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i am just looking for somthing more technical because everything at castlewood is easy and i want to add new skills to my bag and riding all the trails at castewood dozens of times gets old and they are so boring after a while. I wish there was a place where we could build our own trail like they do all over the county with wood ramps and dirt jumps and great drop offs. we have the hills

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You tried the Chubb or Greensfelder for technical? Klondike has a few technical sections (west side of the park) along with some wooden built structures, it's a small but beautiful park. I think Greensfelder is probably the one trail here that a little of every thing but it's nothing where your going to get say, "oh, I can't ride that it."
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

I Love Lamp
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy_jlewis View Post
    i am just looking for somthing more technical because everything at castlewood is easy and i want to add new skills to my bag and riding all the trails at castewood dozens of times gets old and they are so boring after a while. I wish there was a place where we could build our own trail like they do all over the county with wood ramps and dirt jumps and great drop offs. we have the hills
    I'm not sure I would classify Castlewood as easy, perhaps overrated and mediocre, but not easy. The Cedar Bluff section is some of the worst riding in the area; if you think that is easy, you should ride professionally.
    It's T-Shirt time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    is that past the no trespassing. or is that on the bluffs over the meramec. My favorite trail is the one past the no trespassing and under the rail road tracks. i also like the Lone wolf and the grotpeter. i usually ride those 3 trails when i go. i go lone wolf to the grot peter across from the ranger station. and then i do the trail past the no tresspassing if that makes since. i dont pay much attention to what the trails are called. but the one i think you are talking about is the one that starts in the parking lot and goes up a one way hill then turns right or left. and i go right. I call that the lone wolf because that is what i thought it was called but cedar bluff sounds right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I dont think i came off as clear as i thought i did. Its not that i think i am a pro. it is that castlewood is getting old and i was wondering if there are any places around st. louis that have jumps and wood ramps along the trail like most of the trails in BC and out west.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    are there any loops at greensfelder because that is the reason i dont like the chubb trail. no loops.

I Love Lamp
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy_jlewis View Post
    I dont think i came off as clear as i thought i did. Its not that i think i am a pro. it is that castlewood is getting old and i was wondering if there are any places around st. louis that have jumps and wood ramps along the trail like most of the trails in BC and out west.

Unfortunately, if you want riding akin to whats out west; you need to go out west. I know you were not implying you are a pro, but there are some really tough sections at Castlewood. Yes, Cedar Bluff is the section where you have to duck/crawl under the railroad tracks. I hate that section. I like some technical when I ride, but that area is a mess to me. Perhaps I'm alone in that opinion, and that's fine. If you do like that area, Klondike is probably your best bet. If you are willing to drive, Barryman trail (part of the Ozark trail) is a big ass loop (28 miles +) with some difficult sections.
    It's T-Shirt time!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    looking at klondike on GORC it really looks and sounds technical The trails on the western side are for the most part, rockier and more technical, featuring the flowy, curvy Powerline trail, and the advanced, uber-technical Strip Mine and Donkey Kong trails. Nearly everyone will end up putting a foot down, or even walking some sections of these trails. They are not recommended for beginners, but will prove a challenging and rewarding ride for more skilled bike handlers. The newest addition to this side of the park is Donjo's trail, which makes use of some major rock-work and steep cuts into the side slope to allow a more gradual elevation change in reaching the Strip Mine trail from the Powerline.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    matson hill doesnt look bad either, but i am going to try greensfelder first because it is closest (i live in fenton) other than castlewood and chubb.

but i am waiting for the poison ivy to start to go down. Maybe i will try greensfelder tomorrow, but i am worried about that ivy

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

greensfelder is solid

hey,

saw this post and got to throw in that greensfelder has a great trail network and continues to grow. Dogwood is a loop, about 2.2 miles long and then there's DeClue that's about 5 or so miles. Go to Gorctrails--->Trails and get the Greensfelder map or the "race loop" map. You can ride about 20 miles if you make a figure 8 using Dogwood and Declue only. These trails are fast and flowy right now because the equestrian hooves have been eliminated from the dry conditions. The ivy is minimal because the trail is getting high use lately. Just don't crash or stray and you'll be fine. It's semi-technical with a few stretches of rocks and roots.

imho, Greensfelder is the best trail in St. Louis County, Matson is the best in St. Charles county.

matt

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Klondike has a good mix of slow tech and some nice high speed tech as well. Matson is one where if you get off the brakes and open it up you can get pretty stupid fast on the descent in. There's nothing technical about them if you're looking for North Shore style stuff, even the elevated stuff at Klondike is pretty basic but still fun. The trails in STL in general are not super tech but that's just the nature of the terrain. You work with what mother nature hands you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks guys. next time i have a free day i will be going up to greensfelder, on my trek 3700 NON DISC. Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Oh...the old Trek hardtail with v-brakes! Rock On Chevy! I started out with a 4300 brake...

If you ride Matson, clockwise is super fast and imo the best way to ride it PLUS no hoofs to destroy it like GF

There are some good drops offs at Klondike if you screw up but it's still has it's fun parts. Wish that park was much bigger...
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks

Who is John Galt?
    If you want technical go to Chubb. Some scary stuff there, still haven't made it down The Steps. I like to go to West Tyson and return via Flint which makes it sort of a loop. When you get tired of STL trails head west and do the KC trails, especially Swope and Landahl. You better like rocks though. Just be careful where you park, got my car broken into at Swope this summer.
    What, me hurry?

Probably drunk right now

About that...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    If you want technical go to Chubb. Some scary stuff there, still haven't made it down The Steps. I like to go to West Tyson and return via Flint which makes it sort of a loop. When you get tired of STL trails head west and do the KC trails, especially Swope and Landahl. You better like rocks though. Just be careful where you park, got my car broken into at Swope this summer.
    I was thinking about you today. Drop me a pm when you make it back through KC and we'll go hit some trails. We can take my car.....

Did you get your data back?
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Who is John Galt?
    Haha, good idea taking your car! But I think parking at the golf course is the answer, unless I find a good source for rattlesnakes. Not sure when I'll be up that way again but I'm sure I'll make it this fall. Actually have some Chief's tickets for the Halloween game, maybe I can come early or stick around after. Stay tuned...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Rode cedar bluff loop today at castle wood. It was a good ride. Really tired me out after not riding for 6 montha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast