mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Rode Landahl for the first time

I rode both today and yesterday. The trails 90% were dry, even after the week of rain we got in KC.

i found it had to get much of a rhythm going. i think this is partly because it was my first time riding since january, but it did seem like for all the elevation change, there ought to be more long sections of downhill to build of some speed and flow on. otherwise, it was a great ride! spring is blowing up making the forest beautiful, and the trails are not very crowded for an added bonus overall a really good trail system.

I also cleared about 10 big downed limbs, and a broken in half dogwood off the trails.

I rode :
    family trail
    daves maze
    wills wanderer (which is my favorite so far)
    rim
    and the "fire road"

I tried to find "tasty goodness" but never ran across it maybe next time.
    are there any that I should try next time that have some longer downhill sections?
    Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound.

mtbr member
    I recently rode there for the first time and was amazed. All of the trails have a really great flow to them. I think we are kinda screwed living in KS and MO for long downhills though.

Who turned out the lights
    Try riding things in reverse. Every trail rides different, depending on the way you ride it. We could probably have more "sustained downhill" sections at Landahl, but then we would have about half of the mileage that we have there, b/c it would take up more of the slope. Landahl has plenty of flow, but it's got a lot of rocks too. Will's and Dave's should be pretty easy to build a rhythm on, even if you ride Swedish. RIM has a few areas that are pretty rocky/technical and can be difficult to develop flow if you don't know the trail well. I know the trail pretty well, so I roll through most of it. Family can be kind of the same way, especially on the loop west of the DH trail b/c of all the rock.

To get to Tasty, you ride down to the "barrel hub" (the intersection on the east side of the park, where RIM and Will's meet with the little trailhead connector to the Argo trailhead). From the hub, ride down the trail pointing east (rocky, and down in the a creek crossing). That is the stem of the lollipop that is Tasty.

On the west side of the park there is also Gunbarrel and 10/11. 10/11 is much rockier and more technical than most of the rest of the park. Gunbarrel is also now a loop instead of an out and back, so you can just do loops on Gunbarrel if you want. It's fairly technical but not over the top. We also put in some alternate lines at the top of the new section so there are a couple of drops and tech option lines.

Check the earthriders forum for updates on trail status, etc. I was pretty surprised to see that the trails were rideable last week when you rode, especially relative to the standing water in my yard. Please don't ride if you're leaving tracks.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I love Landahl

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm a big fan of landahl. A bit rough on a rigid SS, but that's my own fault for riding one every time I'm there.

10/11 is not something I'd recommend on a rigid SS... always end up riding it when I'm there and remember why I shouldn't (unless I have gears and at least front suspension).

If you haven't been to swope, check it out too. Awesome trails as well. If I didn't live 3+ hours away I'd be there a lot more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Last time I went to Landahl, there were some d-bags leaving as I was starting out who in addition to their bikes, were covered in mud. This was because of a muddy section on Tasty goodness that I chose to hike around. ditto on not riding if you're leaving tracks, don't be that guy!