mtbr member
    May 2005

Riding in McCook, Neb and Hays,KS ?

Hi Everyone

I was born in McCook I don't remember it because I was put up for adoption and then lived in Ellis and Hays,KS until I was 12. Then we moved out to Oregon.

I don't remember anything about McCook because I was like two days old when I left. I remember some things about Hays like the buffalo on the campus at Ft Hays State, I remember a big outdoor pool in a park and a park called Big Creek I think? I went to Roosevelt 1st-5th grade.

Anyway I was wondering if there was any mountain biking in those area? Some day I would like to revisit where I was born and grew up.

I run a mountain bike tour and event company in Oregon so biking is a big part of my life and I thought it would be cool to bike back there some day.

If you are interested here are links to my businesses
    www.mtbikeoregon.com
    www.oregon-adventures.com

Thanks
    Randy Dreiling

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Randy,

I was also born McCook and I grew up there. I return every couple of months and take my bike every once in a while. The only thing I have found to ride is the cow paths in pastures which can be a lot of fun however it isn't Oregon. I lived in Washington State on the Olympic Peninsula for the past 17 year until I moved to Rapid City South Dakota and the Black Hills. The Hills are awesome to ride and would be a great stop with a tour company. Check out www.bhfattirefestival.com and look at the video for a sense of what the hills are like.

jc

mtbr member
    May 2005
    JC
    Thanks for the information
    I have heard a lot of great things about what is going on in Black Hills
    There was a lot of talk about your work at the IMBA world summit last Summer.
    Take Care

Spooooon!
    Potter's Pasture (potterspasturemtb.blogspot.com) is just past North Platte on I-80. It's a huge expanse of cow paths (about 40 miles and growing) turned MTB trail that many of the locals ride (myself included). It's more than the basic pasture cow path stuff, some of the trails are pretty nasty. It's private land, but open to the public.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    East or West of North Platte?

Spooooon!
    East, near Brady.