mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Riding Buzzards Roost!

Beals and I got out to BR today for a brief playsession on the singlespeeds. Lenyhans was there on his single as well. We hung a left off the entry spur and went around the North side first........real casual nice rolling climb. Also see the spots that still need some hand work, but still very fun riding!

We took our time at the overlook and then came down the west rocky section that we have all been discussing. Not bad riding (TONS OF POISON IVY) in the rocky section, really would make some beginners pucker, it actually looks worse than it really is. Riding single down it with worn out Manitous from the last century still was not an issue. But, I can see it from a beginner/flatlander/never seen rocks perspective. All three of us discussed some ideas that we can talk about locally.

Then, Stevo and I rode it the other direction, we spun up the old road and hopped back in by the slash pile. Once you traverse your way around to the top (still not hard climbing on the single) it FLOOOOWWWWWWWWS! I definately think that is a fun descent on ANY style of bike, just happened to feel good today on the 1x1! I think this is the direction I would send a mellower rider.

Overall, very impressed. I didnt get out to work much at all. Thanks to everyone else that helped so far on this GEM of a trail.

Like I said to Steve, having a trail like this just outside town, along with the M Hill system takes the sting outta the stuff we lost up by Keystone a few years back (which I hiked last weekend and is falling apart now that is Wilderness )

Very cool time, some folks like to talk about how great things were here "back in the day". I rode all we had available from back in the 80s til today and the good times are NOW!

hardtale
    Time to finish that sucker off!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtale
    Time to finish that sucker off!
    Like we were talking about last eve.......why dont we shoot for an early Sat handwork time? I am shooting blackpowder on Sunday, unless I skip for house/family time.

hardtale
    Saturday morning would be great. Maybe we can build a good crew, and finish the south loop! 8ish?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    8AM will work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oh yes, the East Bluff Loop is well designed and flows super smooth. Extremely fun!!! A short term problem is in the rocky hand built section which runs along the road. Currently the loop is 90% beginner/intermediate and 10% expert thru the rocky hand built section. The intent is to create a trail for riders of all abilities. At some point in the near future some of the rocks in the hand built section will need too be sheared off to make the loop become 100% beginner/intermediate.

The general feeling is to wait until fall when the poison ivy is dead too finish up our work. I might suggest wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt if you plan on doing finish work. One problem is that even when poison ivy is dead and decaying the oils are still very active. The dirt that has been disturbed for the trail now has the oils mixed in it and you can become infected by the dust or contact with the dirt when working.

I have never had reaction to poison ivy until doing some hand finish work this past spring. I used to pride myself on not being allegic to poison ivy and would be the only one in the group who did not get infected. Like a dunce I was wearing shorts while working the day I became infected. Avoid rubbing exposed flesh while you work and cleanse yourself asap after working. Oregano oil is a great astringent for cleansing skin that has been exposed.

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by climberbiker
    Oregano oil is a great astringent for cleansing skin that has been exposed.
    Do you mean like an essentail oil or something along that line...As we with the wonderful rain and severe storms and all the snow that finally left , we have bumper crops of ivy here in the Bearlodge as well.. As well as ticks and big skeeters to boot...

But I would like to pass the remedy along... for the ivy....
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Oregano oil extract which should be available at the local health food store.

check it out at http://www.se1.us/health/oregano/howtouse.html

hardtale
    I'm not one to rub my exposed flesh on the trail anyway! Not my bag, baby!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by surlytman
    Beals and I got out to BR today for a brief playsession on the singlespeeds. Lenyhans was there on his single as well. We hung a left off the entry spur and went around the North side first........real casual nice rolling climb. Also see the spots that still need some hand work, but still very fun riding!

We took our time at the overlook and then came down the west rocky section that we have all been discussing. Not bad riding (TONS OF POISON IVY) in the rocky section, really would make some beginners pucker, it actually looks worse than it really is. Riding single down it with worn out Manitous from the last century still was not an issue. But, I can see it from a beginner/flatlander/never seen rocks perspective. All three of us discussed some ideas that we can talk about locally.

Then, Stevo and I rode it the other direction, we spun up the old road and hopped back in by the slash pile. Once you traverse your way around to the top (still not hard climbing on the single) it FLOOOOWWWWWWWWS! I definately think that is a fun descent on ANY style of bike, just happened to feel good today on the 1x1! I think this is the direction I would send a mellower rider.

Overall, very impressed. I didnt get out to work much at all. Thanks to everyone else that helped so far on this GEM of a trail.

Like I said to Steve, having a trail like this just outside town, along with the M Hill system takes the sting outta the stuff we lost up by Keystone a few years back (which I hiked last weekend and is falling apart now that is Wilderness )

Very cool time, some folks like to talk about how great things were here "back in the day". I rode all we had available from back in the 80s til today and the good times are NOW!
    Yeah, Buzzard's Roost is an excellent ride. The single speed is a blast to ride as is the 6' fully. The trail is forming into perfect singletrack after the recent rain and more bikes on it. If you haven't rode it, get out there!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Rode it with the pedal heads on tues. Had not ridden it since before the festival. the rain made all the difference. I think if you really pushed it you could make the loop clockwise in about 20 min. It is in great shape, lots of poison ivy though.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i sure dug our spin around the roost on the last day of the bhftf. it was a bit wet and that slowed things down but it was obvious what a great job you guys did here. as far as the "unfinished" section, well i dug that too but i can see where it might intimidate a new rider. be proud guys. be very proud.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I saw Dan there at 8am on Saturday, and DJ Park for 4 hours on Sunday. Black Powder shooting? Just had to give you a little grief-Dan was working, I was riding. Thanks Dan!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur
    I saw Dan there at 8am on Saturday, and DJ Park for 4 hours on Sunday. Black Powder shooting? Just had to give you a little grief-Dan was working, I was riding. Thanks Dan!!
    Didnt even go shoot, spent time with the family in the Southern Hills.