mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Questions for St Louis riders

Hello,
    I'm going to spend about 9 months in St Louis for work and I'd like to get some riding in while there. I currently live in So Cal and have very little cold/wet riding experience because riding our trails after a rain destroys them (and we never get rain or cold weather, ha).

Are there good trails around STL? When is the riding season? Any recommendations on epic rides I have to try while in the area? Tire recommendations? I currently ride a Minion & High Roller combo and it's pretty terrible when the trails get muddy. I have a Santa Cruz Blur TRc and enjoy the descents but I'm game for a good pedal as well.

Thanks for any help!
    Brandin

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Riding is year round, trails dry pretty quick after rain and snow. Lots of great trails and several epic rides within a couple hours drive.

STLBiking - The Midwest's Bicycling Community
    Gateway Off-Road Cyclists - GORC - STL Mountain Biking Organization

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Awesome news, thanks for the links!

mtbr member
    Some fun trails, considering. Chubb, castlewood, greensfelder.

Alot of people seem to run low tread for hardpack flats. Screw that I say. Just pedal harder and throw on something with some grip.

I'd be happy to ride with you. Ill send you a pm

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the info. I'm used to pedaling a 2.5 Minion DHF/ 2.35 High Roller combo around so that shouldn't be a problem, ha.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    You will have plenty o grip with that tire set up. St. Louis and St. Charles are the areas were your shorter trails are and then further south near Potosi and Steelville are your longer more back country trails. Can't go wrong with either! FYI, your Cali cold weather gear won't cut it for our winters:-)
    Peace from Hell...

'13 Chromag Stylus
    '11 Specialized 29r EVO ht
    '11 DB Mission 2 w/Fox 36

bab74 on GORC

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks, good to know. And what's this cold weather you speak of??

My "cali cold weather" riding gear consists of a long sleeve jersey and long socks, haha.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Come just a little south of St. Louis, and there is some great singletrack. Under the gateway off road cyclist link someone above sent you, under trails, look at the ozark region. Middle Fork, and North Trace are top notch! St. Joe State park in Farmington is also a great place to get some good riding in too!
    If you are going to be here into the winter, you will need more than a long sleeve jersey!

You might want to check out St. Louis area Mountain Bikers. Google it. It is a "meet up" group. You join the group, and there is pretty much always a ride coming up, or post your own, and others will join in!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cool, I'll look into that. I'll likely be in the area on & off through next Summer. I was checking out the Ozark trail on trails.com and it definitely sounded cool.

Is night riding allowed on the trails? Here in So Cal we can only ride at night on National Forrest service land, not parks, so we're limited to 1 trail for our after work rides throughout the winter...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Check out cliff cave in south county and Chubb trail in eureka, great trails

mtbr member
    Is the "halfpipe" still at Castlewood? I grew up in St. Louis, but I haven't lived there in 15 years.

This was taken in '06 where the halfpipe was, but was mostly filled in with dirt/mud:

Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Still there. Heavy flooding over the years must have washed out the dirt you're referring to cause they are pretty cleaned out now.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Good info. I'm from the St. Louis area and I'll probably be heading back for a month or two mid-November or so. Maybe I'll meet some of you guys out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 251 View Post
    Is the "halfpipe" still at Castlewood? I grew up in St. Louis, but I haven't lived there in 15 years.

This was taken in '06 where the halfpipe was, but was mostly filled in with dirt/mud:
    Nice picture.

I rode Castlewood the other day for the first time in several years (maybe even since that photo was taken), and the halfpipe is better, but wasn't as good as it was in the mid-late 90s. The kickers at the end of the 'pipe' have worn away, and it's generally not as smooth. Either that or I'm just old and scared now, but it's still a good time.

Greensfelder, Chubb, Berryman are lots of fun as well.

mtbr member
    Greensfelder is where it's at!