Thread: OSU Riding????

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

OSU Riding????

I might be relocating from western NC to Stillwater and am curious about the mt. biking around the area. What trails are near the university and what type of bike best suits the terrain? Right now I'm on a 6' travel bike and clearly won't need my current rig. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Check out Mcmurtry bike trails. These will probably be the closest to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Will do. What type of bike best suits the riding out there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I ride my GT Force (6 in. travel) on those trails but you can have a 4in. travel bike. There are 4 trails total, each approximately 7 miles or so long. One side is very flowy and fast, the other side is a little more technical but nothing too hard.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    I think most riders in Ok ride HT's but the ones who ride FS bikes usually have 4" suspension. Not alot of large drops and downhill in Oklahoma. The Tulsa area is suppose to have some of the best trails in the states. You will be fairly close to them. Ive heard its worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Also worth looking into is Arkansas. Short drive to some of the best trails in the US. Quachita trail, Womble trail, Sylamo, Devil's den state park. When I lived in Oklahoma, Arkansas was my playground. Old mountains, and great single track.

boomer
    You'll have too much bike on the Stillwater trails. If you want your money's worth out of that bike you'll need to head over to Keystone (~45 minutes or Turkey in Tulsa~60 minutes) There's no downhill per-se there's plenty of tech to keep you interested.
    Calvin

Combat Wombat
    I believe the Red Dirt Pedalers do a weekly ride and also if you are in the area, this event is a good one to check out. Chili-Bike Page I am hoping to make it this year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    If you're interested in learning more about Turkey Mountain trails check out FRO Freeride Oklahoma | Home They have built a nice flowy semi DH trail very suitable for a 6 in. travel. Everything else in Oklahoma is hardtail friendly or 4in. friendly.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.