Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Myself and a few others meet up at Draper every Wednesday evening for a group ride, heading out on the trail about 6:00pm. Numbers vary from a just a couple riders to eight that showed up last week. Pace depends on who is riding. The group usually spreads out and then we stop at the beginning of the different sections, giving everyone a chance to regroup. I also post on the okearthbike.com forum. You can also find information there on another group ride done every Tuesday at Outlaw Creek on the Northwest end of OKC, near Piedmont. You are welcome to join us here at Draper, just look for the guy in the parking lot with the orange Vassago.

Brian
    Ill try to make it out on Wednesday I need to try out my new bike..... how long do the rides last should I bring my lights?

mtbr member
    Myself and a few others meet up at Draper every Wednesday evening for a group ride, heading out on the trail about 6:00pm. Numbers vary from a just a couple riders to eight that showed up last week. Pace depends on who is riding. The group usually spreads out and then we stop at the beginning of the different sections, giving everyone a chance to regroup. I also post on the okearthbike.com forum. You can also find information there on another group ride done every Tuesday at Outlaw Creek on the Northwest end of OKC, near Piedmont. You are welcome to join us here at Draper, just look for the guy in the parking lot with the orange Vassago.

Brian
    Do y'all ride the crits? I can never make it but have been trying to work on my speed in those sandy corners. I will try to make it this Wednesday hopefully if work is not busy.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    Ill try to make it out on Wednesday I need to try out my new bike..... how long do the rides last should I bring my lights?
    How long it takes us to complete a lap typically varies depending on who is in the group and how many times we stop to BS. With the daylight getting shorter though and not quite dark enough for lights, I am planning on getting back to the parking lot before it gets dark. Should give us an hour and a half riding time. We also usually sit around in the parking lot and have a refreshment or two afterwards.

We actually started riding every Wednesday last Fall with night riding, so pretty soon we should back to running lights from the parking area.

You get those wobbly wheels fixed?

Brian

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatt28 View Post
    Do y'all ride the crits? I can never make it but have been trying to work on my speed in those sandy corners. I will try to make it this Wednesday hopefully if work is not busy.
    The crits are over now that the Tour de Dirt has started the second half of the season and those sandy corners have also always been my nemesis. Even though we do not leave anyone behind, between the stops, a few really hammer sometimes. My goal is to someday make Bill D suffer, although right now that pretty means just not letting him pass me.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    How long it takes us to complete a lap typically varies depending on who is in the group and how many times we stop to BS. With the daylight getting shorter though and not quite dark enough for lights, I am planning on getting back to the parking lot before it gets dark. Should give us an hour and a half riding time. We also usually sit around in the parking lot and have a refreshment or two afterwards.

We actually started riding every Wednesday last Fall with night riding, so pretty soon we should back to running lights from the parking area.

You get those wobbly wheels fixed?

Brian
    nope not yet.... they aren't horrible but enough for me to be bothered with.... I was gonna stab at them this weekend just skeptical about it cause for me normally when I work on something ive never messed with before things usually get worse before they get better

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I wasn't abke to make It out tonight I was waiting for some parts to come in ill be out there tomorrow evening (at least i plan on It) with new race face bash guard installed

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive been slacking on my riding lately. had alot of family stuff going on and ive been playing soccer every saturday. Hoping to get back out this weekend. Havent even gotten the wife's "new" bike dirty yet.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    And I think I need to stop riding everyday or something. I'm feeling burnt out at times...
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Anyone racing this weekend?
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bet your ass I am! Superfreakyflo here I come

mtbr member
    Sweet! I'll be shooting that race, but doing the RDR race the next day.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Right on. I'll see you there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For those of you who ride draper, what do you use for chain lube? I've tried all kinds of dry products and still can't keep the sand out. Getting ridiculous. Been through 2 chains in 5 months, just put my 3rd on. Im sure being on a ss it doesnt help mashing and all, but come on. There has to be some magic lube that actually works out there....

mtbr member
    I'm not racing the flo but am taking my boy to watch it. Haven't decided if I'm racing the xc yet.

mtbr member
    I've been using Rock 'N' Roll gold chain lube. Probably not the best, but it seems to be working.

jpatt28 you should do the XC race. If you haven't prerode the course yet, it is fast and fun!
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Just found out the Felt demo truck is gonna be at Bluff Creek on the 30th at 3PM. They will have both mountain and road bikes!

This will be your chance to test ride a different bike for free lol.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    ^Thats pretty cool I might have to go check that out. I used to have a Felt bmx frame but ive never ridden any of their other stuff.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Combat Wombat

Draper SFF and RDR Races October 20 and 21st

I want to remind everyone about the Super Freaky Flo and Red Dirt Rendezvous this coming weekend.

The Super Freaky Flo will start at 11:00am and run no later than 2:00pm. During this time, The Black, Blue, Red and Green sections will be closed for this event. Please put the word out. This event will be taking place primarily on the north side of the park. We will have the entrances blocked and marked, but there always seems to be at least one person that feels entitled.

I understand that this is an inconvenience, but please keep in mind that these events provide the majority of the operating funds required for the maintenance and upkeep of our trails.

The entire park will be closed for the RDR on Sunday, but with the level of traffic on the road and parking lot, we typically do not have problems with somebody not knowing what is going on.

This will be a first for an event like the Super Freaky Flo. Even if it is not your thing, I bet it will be fun to watch.

Also Carl will be out there for Trail Aid. If you have yet to buy a raffle ticket for a shot at a 2013 Giant Anthem 1, here is your chance.

Find more information on the races and the Trail Aid here OEF | Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship

Hope to see you there!

Brian Urquhart, President
    Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wow. The superfreakyflo race was soooo fun. Very well put together. Mad props to James and Ryan.

mtbr member
    For ya'll that missed out on a good time, check out some of the pics I posted on the OEF forum!

OEF okearthbike.com Forum • View topic - Super Freaky Flow! Lots of Pics!!!
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    To everyone who put time in preparing Draper for the race, thanks. Draper is in the best shape I've ever seen. Just wanted to say THANK YOU!

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    To everyone who put time in preparing Draper for the race, thanks. Draper is in the best shape I've ever seen. Just wanted to say THANK YOU!
    Your welcome! The RDR is our primary club fund raiser every year, so we spend a crazy amount of time preparing. Bill D and a few others were out there practically every day for a couple weeks out.

Its getting about that time of the year, had to use the lights last night for our Wednesday night ride. When are you coming back out to join us?

Brian Urquhart, President
    Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KEITH21 View Post
    I second that. I had a blast in the race Saturday and walked away with a couple prizes and a great oef t-shirt. Can't wait to win that bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thought I would drop in and say hello in this thread. I'm from Ada, and am just now really getting into cycling. I've had a Trek 4300 for a few years now that i've ridden on a few park trails and will be upgrading to something different soon. Anyhow, I'll be riding at my local trails for the most part, but will definitely make it up y'alls way from time to time. I wish I would have joined this forum a week earlier; it would have been a good time coming out to the event y'all just had.

Since I'm just now really getting into this, if any of you have any advice, (where to ride, safety gear, etc) please let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Last race tomorrow in Stillwater. Who's going?? I'll be there to race for my second time and of course win my new bike!

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatt28 View Post
    Last race tomorrow in Stillwater. Who's going?? I'll be there to race for my second time and of course win my new bike!
    I'll be there helping with the TDD setup.

That is one sweet bike and I would love to throw down some cash and buy several tickets, but I think it raise a few eyebrows if I won it.

mtbr member
    Hey Brian can you pm me directions. I know how to get to Stillwater but am unsure where to go from there. Thanks

mtbr member
    I'll be there. And jpatt28, I already called dibs on that bike...
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

Combat Wombat
    Was asked about directions to the race in Stillwater, so I thought I would post this for everyone.

Event Flyer

McMurtry Madness

Directions

OEF | Oklahoma Earthbike Fellowship | Trails | McMurtry Lake (West Loops)

The race is on the east side. Scroll down to the bottom of the map page and you can enter a starting point and get directions. Once you have the "driving directions", click on the "view larger map"

See you all up there.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brian. Giving myself an hour and half to get up there.

mtbr member
    Had a great time today at the last race. Probably needed to ride it before I raced it but oh well.
    Looking forward to starting the next series already as I just got into this sport. I will definitely be looking forward to more work with OEF and trail rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My little sis won the Women's Cat 3 19-39 class today. Shame I was at work all day. I'll be riding turkey mountain tomorrow morning for my only day off this week though so that should make up for it.

Combat Wombat
    This Wednesday evening starts the beginning of our weekly "Draper Wednesday in the Woods" night ride. We will be meeting in the parking lot and hitting the trail sometime around 6:00pm. Casual, no-drop ride ride with the pace depending on who shows and how energetic we feel.

If you do not have lights and would like to give it a try, let me know and you can borrow my bar mount light.

Look for my green Nissan Frontier truck and orange Vassago single speed in the parking lot.

Brian

mtbr member
    Put a couple rides on your calendars:

Tom's Turkey Day Ride, Nov 22, 8:00 am. Why do a lame-o 5K turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning when you could ride at Draper? There will be a road ride for those so inclined and a lap (or two) around the trails for the mtb crowd.

Winter Solstice Ride, Dec 21, 7:00 pm. Celebrate the Winter Solstice with a night ride. It's great fun to see a long line of lights snaking through the trees. Mead and revelry, pagan-style, will follow.

Both rides will be cool for all skillz levels. Come on out.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by dmboarder View Post

Tom's Turkey Day Ride, Nov 22, 8:00 am. Why do a lame-o 5K turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning when you could ride at Draper? There will be a road ride for those so inclined and a lap (or two) around the trails for the mtb crowd.

Winter Solstice Ride, Dec 21, 7:00 pm. Celebrate the Winter Solstice with a night ride. It's great fun to see a long line of lights snaking through the trees. Mead and revelry, pagan-style, will follow.

Sounds like a great time! I am usually out of town on Turkey Day, but will definitely make plans for the Winter Solstice Ride.

Would you mind if I mention this ride over on the OEF forum?

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmboarder View Post

I'll be at Tom's Turkey Day Ride, but won't be able to make the Winter Solstice Ride since I have no lights.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Get Some Lights!! hehe

Yes, definitely mention it over there. I put it on the Tour De Dirt FB page, too.

Combat Wombat

Bluff Creek Wednesday in the Woods.

We are going to mix it up a little and until further notice, move the Wednesday evening ride to Bluff Creek. I am not sure how long it will take me to get from where I work on HW9 to Bluff with the evening traffic, but we will go ahead and still shoot for meeting in the parking lot at 6:00pm. Also if anyone else would like to make the ride and needs a little more time, give me a heads up and we can work something out.

Everyone is welcome and this is a no drop ride. No race training laps here.

Hope to see you there,
    Brian

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good morning,

From the look of things, my work is going to take me out from Cali to OKC from March to September. No idea yet if I'll have the opportunity to take a mountain bike but hopefully I'll find a way to make it happen.

I'm pretty badly out-of-shape after juggling work and law school for four years and don't have much in the way of technical skills, so mostly I'm looking for trails or fireroads that feature a big workout (say, minimum 1 hour / max 5 hours) as opposed to techy stuff.

Could you give me a recommendation a good place to pick up reading on the trails? Are any of them plotted on OpenCycleMap or AccuTerra?

Thanks kindly.

mtbr member
    Draper. It's not technical at all and you can do however many laps you need to to get the workout.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Draper and Bluff Creek will be a great place to start and then once you get your legs conditioned and need some more technical stuff go hit up Clear Bay out at Thunder Bird Lake in Norman, OK.

Feel free to keep everyone posted when you get here and we can help you find some group rides.

hope this helps,
    Josh

Combat Wombat
    xxx

Combat Wombat
    OK...Let's see if I can get this right this time. We will be doing the usual Wednesday evening ride at Draper this week. At the request of riders last week, this week we are going to run it backwards. If you have never done this, it makes for an entirely new trail. We will head out about 6:00 pm, however since it is getting to where there is still some light left at this time of day, we will start off by first cutting over to the yellow and running it in the normal direction. By the time we finish this loop and roll out on the south easement, it should be dark enough that we do not have to worry about running into other riders without lights. We can then cut back east and ride into the green exit. This will be a casual pace, no-drop ride and everyone is welcome to join us.

Hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    guys mind doing a bit of a techno rain dance so clearbay gets a nice soak before uno mas

kthx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hello OKC riders! I just moved into town. After inquiring with several people about the mountain biking scene in town, I had almost lost hope of doing much riding here (of course they were not riders themselves). I am very happy to find this thread, and look forward to exploring these trails. If anyone is planning on riding late afternoons, or this weekend, shoot me an email. I would love to tag along. I hail from TX, and have done most of my riding in San Antonio and Austin. I like technical or fast, but at this point I just want to get out there and ride! Thanks

mtbr member
    Come to draper lake mtb trails tonight at 7pm and join us on our free crit races.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Are you riding this year?

This Wednesday evening starts the beginning of our weekly "Draper Wednesday in the Woods" night ride. We will be meeting in the parking lot and hitting the trail sometime around 6:00pm. Casual, no-drop ride ride with the pace depending on who shows and how energetic we feel.

If you do not have lights and would like to give it a try, let me know and you can borrow my bar mount light.

Look for my green Nissan Frontier truck and orange Vassago single speed in the parking lot.

Brian

Is anyone riding nights still?

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon29&single View Post
    Is anyone riding nights still?
    I will not be out there tonight due to personal business I have to take care of, but plan to be out there next week. I post the ride up on the OEF forum, okearthbike.com

Brian

mtbr member
    Monday at Draper is the Bike One ride.
    Tuesday at Draper is the Tuesday Night Draper ride (original, huh?)
    Thursday at Tbird is the (wait for it) Thursday Night Tbird ride.

Get some lights and come on out.

Also, Thanksgiving morning is this year's Tom's Turkey Day ride at Draper, while the Winter Solstice ride is December 21. Last year we had over 50 people at the WS ride and it was really cool.

mtbr member
    Well found out a few days ago, that I have orders to Tinker AFB. So, the family & I will be moving to OKC April/May of 2014. I sure hope the biking there is decent... My family is currently in Las Vegas, and I'm in South Korea finishing up my short tour....
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.