Team 9.8

North Dakota - All Mountain/Freeride/Downhill

Well I am moving from Grand Junction, CO to Williston, ND unfortunately for my job, so I was wondering where are some good spots for all mountain, freeride, and downhill type riding. I have heard of the Maah Dah Hey, and some riding in Montanna such as Big Sky, and Terry Peak in SD, but I haven't heard of much else.

There are a lot of big hills and dirt mounds here that would be a lot of fun to freeride but I'm betting most of this land is owned by someone or a company, and none of it is BLM. That being said are there any good spots to ride around this area? I'm riding a Yeti 575 and my gf has a SB95, but I also have a Demo 8.

Thanks in advance, hopefully this move will be made a little easier if there are some sweet trails around.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Check out the Dakota Prairie National Grasslands near Watford City south of Williston. Get a copy of maps of the McKenzie Ranger District out of Watford City and the Medora Ranger District out of Dickinson. These maps show the public National Forest Grasslands and BLM managed public lands in those areas. Lots of grazing in those areas but the public lands are open to riding. Lots of cow trails. Those areas have Badlands and rolling prairies so lots of hills. The area along the Little Missouri River is especially scenic. The Maah Dah Hey trail and adjacent areas are good riding and the National Grasslands maps will show you where all the public lands are in those areas. Have fun.