squish is good

Moving to Wichita from Seattle. Tell me theres good news. Please!

Just found out the wife is getting moved to Wichita KS (military stuff so not much of a choice) and I'd be lying if I said I was stoked. Please tell me there is good news people! Do I need to trade my Reign X for a hardtail . Is there any kind of a freeride scene out there? Found this thread and it looks like most of the trails are up by Kansas City and aren't super technical or freeridey. Appreciate any feedback folks!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm sorry, ... I went to college in Manhattan, KS... Get a road bike and learn too LOVE the wind. That's all I got.

squish is good
    Hey, I'll drive to get my fix! Just trying to find out if there is anything within a few hours. Not trying to be a snob but the trails advertised as expert up by KC look pretty tame to me... rocks and roots with no elevation change and a few log rides. I know there's gotta be a dirt jump spot or something in the state.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well, I'm not too sure, but you might want too look in SE Missouri...the Ozarks might have a mtn bike trail system, or maybe in KS, Tuttle Creek Reservoir, Milford Reservoir...I'm not really too much help here, sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Clutchman- Your gonna have Millers Meadow pretty easy trail but its very close the the base. Also Camp Horizon in Arkansas City more elevation and rocks. I would say you will be in the market for a hardtail and a road bike.....

mtbr member
    There is Warsaw by Truman Lake, and than there is Rock Bridge in Columbia and Binder in Jefferson City and then here in Lake of the Ozarks we have Honey Run and Four Winds we also have Bittersweet which is very technical

mtbr member
    you can also go to ERTA - Earn Your Dirt!

squish is good
    Hmm, can anybody tell me where this is? Its highlighted on the slideshow but I didn't see anything about jump lines on any of the trail descriptions. Starting to feel a little better, some of those trails look like some fun and I think I've resigned myself to taking weekend camping trips to Colorado when I need my gravity fix. Thanks guys!

Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That looks like one of the old jumps at Landahl in Blue Springs. That is the only jump course around Kansas but it is pretty fun, I go there a lot. You could always drive to Arkansas, I go there a couple times a month. There is a DH course in Eureka Springs and some fun trails all around Bentonville, Eureka, Fayetteville. Around KC you are looking at some pretty rocky, mainly flat trails. For reference on the riding style, I own a Covert but most of my riding around here is done on a rigid Surly singlespeed. It's not all bad though, here is a pic of me at Landahl.

squish is good
    Damn thats a big pic!!! Looks like fun. Feeling much better about the move, thanks guys!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In all honesty, you are going to go through a period of great disappointment when you first arrive. Wichita is a flat and relatively biker unfriendly place. I moved here from the east coast and it took about a year for me to adapt/accept. Having said that, Miller's Meadow is an approximately 5 mile loop in town. It is not technical and it does not have any elevation change, but it is fairly twisty and flows really well. I think it is a great example of making the best of a small and limited space. About 1.5 hours to the south is Camp Horizon. It is roughly a 9 mile loop that has nearly 1000 ft of climbing per loop if the reports are correct. I have no way o measuring elevation change. The trail has some nice rocky sections and is a bit different than what you would expect in Kansas. To the west is Wilson Lake. It is about 2.5 hours away and has a fairly extensive network of trails that are reminiscent of a miniature CO/UT. KC is about 2.75 hours away and has a number of well established trails. Landahl, BRP, Swope, SMP, Clinton Lake, Perry Lake, etc. As for DJ, I feel like I saw a video of some kids riding trails (BMX mostly) in El Dorado, which is about 30 minutes away. They were not the level of trails we had on the east coast, but they were similar to the photo you posted above. For a weekend trip, there is always Arkansas or Colorado.

As for freeride, none to speak of. It's not that sort of place. There is plenty of concrete if you ride street BMX. Other than that, it is road (flat, boring, and windy), gravel roads, or XC.

Aside from cycling, Wichita has some pretty great Vietnamese food, decent Thai, decent Mexican if you look in the right places and a few bars with a good beer selection.

PM me when you get here if you need suggestions or want to meet for a ride.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Aside from cycling, Wichita has some pretty great Vietnamese food, decent Thai, decent Mexican if you look in the right places and a few bars with a good beer selection.

PM me when you get here if you need suggestions or want to meet for a ride.
    Glad there will be some good food available. Hate to balk on your guys contribution here but I just received more news. Apparently McConnel AFB and McChord AFB exist right next to each other in a drop down menu in the software the Air Force uses for assigning its people to the proper base. I'm finding out now that it may be a simple clicking issue rather than a full on re-assignment. WTF man, some airman clicking the wrong drop down option can result in us going to Kansas instead of staying in Washington??? May not have to move after all but I'm irritated this entire situation even came up if we get to stay. Many thanks to all you poor great plains MTbers I will be very happy to stay where I'm at!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well, if you get to stay in Seattle, that's great news. One can make Kansas work if need be, but Seattle is much more interesting in every way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    theres lots of good trails in the KC metro area. the flint hills in KS have some intreresting stuff.
    berryman trail in the ozarks.

theres no downhill much to speak of, and its not upstate NY or Colorado, but im rarely bored with the trails in the KS or MO or AK area. you just have to know where to look.

its easier living in KCMO, but if youre willing to drive, you will find some good stuff.

so no, dont buy a hardtail just yet. a 4-5'' travel trail bike seems to work best.
    Stuff sold by the gram is always more exciting than stuff sold by the pound.

mtbr member
    wilson lake has around 25 miels of pretty decent single track. There is a fat tire fest there annually. I live about 120 miles north west of wichita.
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey man, as a freerider, I have to be honest, this is a depressing area. There is a little xc, but you have to drive 6 hours for any kind of freeriding, and even then it's pretty limited. I would recommend getting an xc bike for the singletrack, and learning to ride urban if you want to freeride. Let me know when you get here, i'm thinking of building a pump track in my backyard.

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by betard_foosier View Post
    Hey man, as a freerider, I have to be honest, this is a depressing area. There is a little xc, but you have to drive 6 hours for any kind of freeriding, and even then it's pretty limited. I would recommend getting an xc bike for the singletrack, and learning to ride urban if you want to freeride. Let me know when you get here, i'm thinking of building a pump track in my backyard.
    Oh man, I'm still kind of freaking out. My girl is worried I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown if we move and I keep telling her I'll find a drainage to get a little verticle and build some jumps. It'll be okay! I'll build jumps if I have to!!! The latest news is we have to wait till the 23rd of this month to find out if we have to move or not. Trying to stay positive . Will definitely hit you up if I end up out there, love to build!
    Bike good, work bad.