Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zod
    Southern Fried mUni

Missouri - December.... even bother?

I'm normally in Missouri in the summer of fall and always ride but it just happens I'll be there for Christmas for the first time in probably 25+ years so my question is should I even bother bringing my bike or is the riding crap by then? Keep in mind I'm a NC rider and even in the mountains in winter we typically don't have to wear major winter riding gear so I don't have any fancy keep me warm attire. Opinions? Oh yeah the places I would be riding are Klondike, Matson, Lost Valley, and private trail out in St. Clair (if you know which that it) so I'd really specifically like to know how those hold up to winter. Thanks!

Who turned out the lights
    I live in KC and ride all winter long. Down to about 20deg, it's really not bad. I have some good cold-weather gear, but you can survive with a few "regular" things.

A lot of your 'success' is going to depend on the weather at the time. We were relatively dry until just recently. KC got about 2" of rain over the weekend, and I'll assume St. Louis got the same. If we don't get any more rain , the trails should be good at Xmas. If it's good and cold (which it is prone to be in late Dec.), you should have good success riding early in the morning. Get out to the trail about the time the sun breaks and you should be good until about 10am. After then, the sun usually hits the east and south facing slopes and starts to thaw them out a bit and make them sloppy and you'll start doing damage.

I like to ride in bib shorts under a pair of long cycling pants or tights (I have some Kona pants and some Troy Lee moto style pants that are plenty warm for me). I wear regular wool socks. Wear a regular short-sleeve jersey as a base layer, and then long sleeve jersey(s) and other shirts for layers, then an insulated flannel shirt. I have good circulation in my hands, so Mechanix brand gloves get me through most of the winter. I like to wear a Balaclava when it's cold, but you can survive with some kind of a turtleneck and a thin warm hat under your helmet.

You warm up a lot faster than you might think at 40-45 degrees. Into the 30s is where you have to start truly treating is like winter weather, and down close to 30 or below, you really need to be prepared.

Right before your trip, I would check the forums at stlbiking.com or gorc.org and see what the locals' opinions are about the conditions.

zod
    Southern Fried mUni
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton View Post
    You warm up a lot faster than you might think at 40-45 degrees. Into the 30s is where you have to start truly treating is like winter weather, and down close to 30 or below, you really need to be prepared.
    Oh it gets that cold in NC, I'm used to riding right around the freezing point say in Jan/Feb, especially in the mountains. I wasn't sure if it would be even colder than that. I'll keep an eye on the forecast....hate to come all that way and not get some rides in!

Who turned out the lights
    It shouldn't be too insanely cold around Xmas. Right now, we're getting 18-20 for a low at night and 35-40 during the day, but it just hit us with a little cold snap. February is the truly miserable month for riding outside in MO. That month just sucks balls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Winter is what you make of it. Saturday there is a race at Truman Lake bike park. First of three. Buy some good quality riding gear. Usually there is one ok day a week to ride. Honey Run trail is usually good. This is at Lake of the Ozarks state park. Truman is on army corps property so I don't think they care if it's wet. Bring the bike meet some new riders make the best of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Missouri winter weather riding can be really nice, but the weather tends to hover in the thaw zone a lot with the ground freezing at night and thawing during the day. This makes for some crappy muddy riding conditions at times. As long as the temps remain in the 28-30 range your are in pretty good shape and things stay frozen and the trails are pretty fast. Wrecks in cold weather always suck too as the frozen ground feels a lot like concrete!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are going to ride those you can always call the trail hotline at 636.949.7475 to make sure they are open before you leave. Klondike / Matson is option 4. Lost Valley isn't on that system but it is usually always open since it is mostly fire road (I would probably make it a last resort.) Check out gorctrails.com. That will give you a list of the trails in the area. St. Louis county doesn't have a hotline that I am familiar with unfortunately.

Who is John Galt?
    So tried to ride Binder today and it was a mudfest. Hoping for some cold to freeze things!
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I did the Truman Lake bike race sunday. What a suprise. Trailhead dry,oh yea freeze thaw cycle. Muddy, slippery, energy sucking, tire slidding mud. We still had a great time because it was sunny and 50 degrees. I also took first in my class.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LukisDukis View Post
    If you are going to ride those you can always call the trail hotline at 636.949.7475 to make sure they are open before you leave. Klondike / Matson is option 4. Lost Valley isn't on that system but it is usually always open since it is mostly fire road (I would probably make it a last resort.) Check out gorctrails.com. That will give you a list of the trails in the area. St. Louis county doesn't have a hotline that I am familiar with unfortunately.
    Don't listen to this guy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbspicerider View Post
    I did the Truman Lake bike race sunday. What a suprise. Trailhead dry,oh yea freeze thaw cycle. Muddy, slippery, energy sucking, tire slidding mud. We still had a great time because it was sunny and 50 degrees. I also took first in my class.
    I did too...took 2nd in 39 and under sport. Pretty sure we ruined that blue trail loop for a few years...man that was a mess.

Who is John Galt?
    Darn, I was thinking maybe Warsaw would be in better shape than Jeff City. Could be a long winter...
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Nope...winter rules are in effect. Ride at night or in the morning before it thaws.

mtbr member
    For the guys who ride Castlewood in the STL area, where do you park when the gates are going to be closed after sunset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I drove to Potosi, Missouri from Boone on Thursday to meet up with some Indiana folk just to MTB. We rode Council Bluffs Lake yesterday (1 hr. south of StL?) and it was in awesome shape, and a great ride. On the agenda today is the Berryman, and Sunday some of the Ozark Trail.

So in short, yes, bring a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Castlewood is closed after dark and it is illegal to ride the trails once the gates are closed (same for all st louis county parks). Some of the St Charles county parks are open to night riding, check out www.gorctrails.org for more info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    you mean gorctrails.com

mtbr member
    I can tell you that the Springfield area is soaked. Bring a road bike...hit the country roads...good rides.
    experience life

Trek RSS, GT Force FS, Diamondback Podium (Commuter)

www.atheistphilbiz.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I propose gravel rides this weekend - STL is saturated right now from two days of steady rain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy horseshoes View Post
    I propose gravel rides this weekend - STL is saturated right now from two days of steady rain.
    I need a cross bike for this season so bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have to say that getting a cross bike last year was the best investment I've made in a while. Makes me sort of regret the $$$ road bike purchase the prior year.

The cross bike is so versatile. Peel off any road onto dirt and let the adventure begin. Some of my best rides have been exploring the woods or unused/low use roads.

Now, I have my eye on a Surly Ogre build to get a drop-bar gravel/trail maintenance monster cross rig. The options are endless with this new frameset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I moved to Missouri a few years ago (Jeff city area) and one of my biggest frustrations has been not being able to ride in the winter or spring nearly at all due to the fact that the trails soak up alot of water and take a long time to dry out, most times just long enough for it to rain again (or snow, etc.). This year I want to try like some of the previous posters have suggested, to ride in the early mornings while the ground is still frozen. Lately it really hasn't been very cold, probably not enough to keep the ground frozen for very long I am thinking, and I know the ground is wet. I'm also looking for a good deal on a 'cross type bike to ride backroads and gravel during these wet seasons.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Jeff City just isn't quite far enough South to be Ozark "mountains". The soil in the Ozarks has a lot of gravel and rock and that really helps it keep dry in the winter. If you travel down to the Berryman and Ozark trails you can ride the best singletrack in Missouri, all year long.

I agree cross bikes are great. What's the difference between the Ogre and old Karate Monkey?

Who is John Galt?
    Let me know when you want to ride Trailsnale. Do you have lights? I do Binder night rides when I can. I do have an issue when it gets too cold -- my glasses fog up.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Jim Mac, I'm up for riding anytime whenever the trails are good. I'm off evenings next week. I do have a light although I haven't ridden with it in awhile. Shoot me a message and we'll go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast