Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders

37K views 176 replies 23 participants last post by  McLoafin 
#1 ·
I have started building a single-track trail near Med. Park(the unfortunate fires have cleared the terrain temporarily). Granted its not Durango Co., but it does feature challenging elevation changes and it is mostly technical. It is fairly short at the time, yet it could be linked to other established trails nearby making for a good ride. I feel this area has the potential for great mtb. trails, to complement the existing double wide jeep trail offered around base of Mt. Scott. Yes the Scott trail offers a good aerobic work-out, but does not provide "single track euphoria". The key word here is single track.

So what is my point? I am simply testing the waters, or trying to get a nucleus of support to get a trail or "trails" started on public land surrounding Med. Park and or Lake Lawtonka. Yes I am aware of the S.T. on West side of Lake presently closed for Elmer Fudd and Bambi, could this trail be expanded to circle the Lake? I know Fort Sill's terrain is prime for trails, but I know the U.S. Army will never grant acreage to bike riders. They have a bigger mission, plus a carbon frame would offer no protection for a round from a MLRS. But what about the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge? Could someone please convince Smokey the Bear that a mtn bike trail will not harm the black capped vireos. They like mountain bikers, so would the local economy.

So now that my "spoiled child" rant is over I want to sum it up. Biking is a quality of life issue for me and I hope others, and I see many acres of unused terrain ripe for mtn. biking, but due to lack of interest from the public, the potential remains only potential. What do we do? Discuss the Lake Lawtonka issue with City of Lawton, perhaps instead of building more trailer house pads, they could spend a little on a healthy bike trail. As for the Wichita Mountains, be present at the next public use forum and voice your opinion. I am not the political type who makes banners and camps on library lawns... just someone who has a passion.

See less See more
#92 ·
Bump...only 9 more weeks until we can get back to riding the hoof gullies. The trails should really start to become more established and grow in 2013. Clear Bay, Draper, and Wee Chi Ta are all great, but the west side of Lawtonka has alot more potential and is much more challenging in my opinion.

Hunting is over Jan. 15.

#95 ·
Here's a few other trail maps for the area. 2012 Mountains of Mayhem on Ft. Sill, Lawtonka trails on city property, Mt. Scott fire road on the refuge, and an overall map. We are also currently working on establishing more trails in and around Medicine Park. Just in the planning/begging permission stage at this point, but if all works out, 2013 is going to be a start of a very nice trail system in the area.

Attachments

#96 ·
Bump.

Dear McLoafin,

Thanks for the work, excellent trail beta. And thumbs up to the super cool bridge you dudes engineered. (Chad only watched) (wait a minute, did U do a load calc. test? - wheres the permit?)

Rumor has is it that "ALL" are invited Saturday morning approx. 8:30 ish (near boathouses -School House Solough ) to continue the epic visionary trail to the Lawtonka dam. ALL ARE INVITED.

Shut up and pedal.

#98 ·
Thanks Ralph.

For those who remember the treacherous "walk gate" between the Refuge and the Mtn. bike trail, well things have changed. Thanks to the work of Deputy Refuge Manager a new "super easy" walkway with self-closing gate has been installed. No longer will we be forced to ladder climb, bike carry, and be stung by wasps simultaneously. So, any and all can now access this rapidly improving trail. Pictures to follow.

#99 ·
Photo of above mentioned gate. Thanks to the installers! Also, there is now a trail cut around the SW corner of the lake so you can ride straight from the dam and into the Hoof Gullies (Lawtonka Trails) without crossing the fence. There's currently only one small water crossing that will probably turn into a big water crossing when we get some rain.

Attachments

#105 · (Edited)
2013 Fool's Dozen Mounain Bike Ride in Medicine Park, OK

Since Ft. Sill is not hosting the 12 Miles of Hell, or the Hills of Hell, or the Mountains of Mayhem in 2013, we are organizing a mountain bike ride in Medicine Park, OK this year.

The "Fool's Dozen" will be an unsanctioned 12-mile fun ride for intermediate to advanced riders (too rocky to recommend to beginners). The ride will begin in downtown Medicine Park at 10:00 am on March 30, 2013.

Sign-up ($20) will be day of ride beginning at 8:00 am. First 3 dozen registrants will receive a T-shirt, so get there early.

Text Font Poster Graphics Number

#115 · (Edited)
Ride is ON!

Only 40% chance of scattered storms. High of 70 and light east winds. Sounds nice to me. Ride is on. :thumbsup: Even if we get rain, trail can be ridden muddy as well...It's 75% rock base.

I just rode the course yesterday and it's ready to go. The newer sections are marked with survey tape and the established sections are easy to follow. We look forward to seeing as many riders as possible come out. This is a low dough event being put together by the local riders (Mountain Bike Club of the Wichitas) to help get our local trails improved, signed and established as a system.

Keep in mind, it's just a fun ride rather than a race, so no trophies for the fast guys, but if you can make it up all the climbs without putting your foot down, you will have serious bragging rights. :)

Make sure and yield to the fisherman when you cross the dam. Don't run over their poles, bait, feet, etc. :)

#116 ·
Only 40% chance of scattered storms. High of 70 and light east winds. Sounds nice to me. Ride is on. :thumbsup: Even if we get rain, trail can be ridden muddy as well...It's 75% rock base.

I just rode the course yesterday and it's ready to go. The newer sections are marked with survey tape and the established sections are easy to follow. We look forward to seeing as many riders as possible come out. This is a low dough event being put together by the local riders (Mountain Bike Club of the Wichitas) to help get our local trails improved, signed and established as a system.

Keep in mind, it's just a fun ride rather than a race, so no trophies for the fast guys, but if you can make it up all the climbs without putting your foot down, you will have serious bragging rights. :)

Make sure and yield to the fisherman when you cross the dam. Don't run over their poles, bait, feet, etc. :)
Awesome, we'll be there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.