Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Riding Ben's Line: http://youtu.be/gXqep0w_PSw quick video of a new trail off of the top of the East Loop. 170ft of drop in 0.2 miles.
    What goes up must come down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeltramo View Post
    Talked to chad and mark today, this years fools dozen will be in conjunction with a sort of MTB festival weekend with the race in Sunday, April 10-12. I think this year it's going to be apart of the tour de dirt series
    Will on-line registration be available soon?

Campmobiler
    Register for the race here: https://www.usacycling.org/register/2015-1092

No registration necessary for the night ride on Friday night (4/10) or the group rides on Saturday (4/11). Just show up and have fun. check out Mountain Bike Club of the Wichitas on facebook for updates.

mtbr member
    Did Medicine Park/Lawton get much/any of this precip? If TdD postpones, may be a backup plan

Campmobiler
    Not much rain here. Trails are good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Can I get a weather update before we take off on Friday?

Campmobiler
    Right now it's 40% chance of thunderstorms Saturday night and Sunday. I'll update conditions Friday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Mang.

Campmobiler
    It's dry here this morning. Today there are low chances of rain with a high of 72. Tomorrow 40% chance with high of 77. Looks like good conditions to me.

Campmobiler
    We had perfect weather today. Thanks to everyone for coming out and racing the Fool's Dozen. We will do it again next April. See you at the other TdD races this season.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Glad ya'll had a good turn out.

I saw rain chances from 30-60% on Friday PM. So I got skeered and stayed home. But will try and head up there in thr next few weeks.

Campmobiler

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Cool. Good that the word is getting out.

Campmobiler
    Short video of highlights from the April Fool's Mountain Bike Festival and Tour de Dirt race in Medicine Park, OK, April 10, 11 & 12, 2015:

https://youtu.be/Zd31fA1MqRc

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Does it ever quit raining up there?

Campmobiler
    Come race in Medicine Park on Sept. 26th. We're holding a 6-hour endurance race that'll be run on a 9 mile lap. It starts in downtown Medicine Park and uses the blue, green, and red trails on the west side of Lake Lawtonka. Register online at The Official Website - USA Cycling. https://www.usacycling.org/register/2015-2984

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Ready to roll. But one question. Can you sweep all those pesky rocks from the trail? They hurt my feelings - and make it real bumpy!
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

Campmobiler
    Went out yesterday evening and moved 7 rocks off the trail for you. Now it should be no problem for you to spin out 10 or 12 laps in 6 hours....

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Thank you very much.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I understand that Dan is working out at the park now??? He's my source for parts and I need a piece for a broke shifter, does anyone have his contact number, Thanks
    Chris

Disregard!!! I got a hold of Mark an he said he's not working out there but still at ***** so I'll catch him there.

Round two, ***** sporting goods hasn't seen him in months they said an Terry's says he's working on bikes out of his house now, so if anyone has his phone number I'd appreciate it, Thanks
    Last edited by Mongo40; 09-10-2015 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Don't forget about the endurance 69 race coming up! Sept 26.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hello out there...

I am looking for a bit of guidance on a suggested route through the lake Lawtonka trails- linking some of the loops together to make for a good ride. I am new to the Lawtonka trail network having only been out one time. I have heard that there is generally a group ride that takes off from Base Camp on Saturday mornings at 9, but... these days I really have a hard time committing to specific times I have a young son that runs on his own schedule and a wife that is in grad school along with working a full time job my "free time" is at a bare minimum these days.

So.. here is where I'm at. Last weekend I drove out to the trails with the intention of doing some fact finding and trail recon to get everything in order so that when I do have enough time to ride I can go straight for it instead of figuring things out.

I started from the end of a short gravel road right near the entrance to the park. Once I arrived there was a sign that had all trail use closed with the exception of elk hunting. I must say I was not too surprised because I had heard a rumor of this..

I then circled back into town and parked at the dam where I found a trail head for the orange and yellow loops. From here I climbed up the orange crossed over to the black at 'Pete's pass' did a small amount of riding on the black loop and eventually circled back to the 'crossover' and hooked back up to the yellow loop and back to the car.

I'm anxious to get back out, and explore more of the trail system, but this time I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has some insight on a good loop. I'm also curious to know if the blue loop is also off limits because of hunting or if that only applies to the green and red loops.

Thanks in advance.... Also.. any other trails in the area I should know about?? Thanks!

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-lawtonka-short-loop.jpg

mtbr member
    look up "Basecamp Adventure Outfitters" on Facebook and inquire

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks.. No Facebook for me, I think I'm the last person on earth that doesn't have a facebook account. I'll google around and see if I can get in touch with them- I have spoken to Mark on the phone- hell of a nice guy.

However, I did think this would be a great outlet for peeps to chime in on their favorite route through the trail system. As I look through the map above it looks to me like a pretty good route could be stitched together by starting yellow running the majority of the loop until it hooks back up with orange, take that to Pete's pass run the black loop back to Petes and finish it off with the remainder of the orange.

Any insight on if the blue trail (across the dam) is open during hunting season?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Anything enclosed by the fence I believe is closed. I don't know what the trails were, but the race loop from last spring's race is pretty entertaining.

Campmobiler
    Quote Originally Posted by Giber View Post
    Thanks.. No Facebook for me, I think I'm the last person on earth that doesn't have a facebook account. I'll google around and see if I can get in touch with them- I have spoken to Mark on the phone- hell of a nice guy.

However, I did think this would be a great outlet for peeps to chime in on their favorite route through the trail system. As I look through the map above it looks to me like a pretty good route could be stitched together by starting yellow running the majority of the loop until it hooks back up with orange, take that to Pete's pass run the black loop back to Petes and finish it off with the remainder of the orange.

Any insight on if the blue trail (across the dam) is open during hunting season?

Thanks!
    Slow response, but...I'm usually on Medicine Park time. You found one more person on earth without facespace. Blue loop is open all the time and is not affected by hunting season.

One popular way to bring together a few of the loops is to just park in the middle of town and ride the street up to the dam. From there you can do a warm-up lap on blue, then hit orange over to the west end of the diving board section. From there, you can choose to continue on the orange loop, which takes you back to the dam or take pete's pass over to the black loop and finish out on itchy-scratchy.

We also ride on Wednesday evenings. I'll be out there about 4:40 or so at Base Camp...

Campmobiler
    Mark your calendars for the 2016 April Fool's Mountain Bike Festival in Medicine Park, OK. April 8-10. Night ride around town and live music Friday night, fun group rides for all ages and skill level Saturday, and the Fool's Dozen MTB race on Sunday morning, as part of the Tour de Dirt. Check out Fool's Dozen MTB - Home for more info.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234