• 07-02-2012
    andrewquyendao
    Its bloody hard to pick up speed going up an incline and going through some rocks. haha
  • 07-05-2012
    CoreyWhite68
    The Medicine Park trail is the one where you hop the big metal staircase. It is very difficult in the beginning, but much of the main loop (once you reach it) is much more rideable. It's basically about a mile or so lead in to the loop. I don't have exact mileage, but the main loop is only about 4 miles I think. Right now it's very grown up and the black flies tore us a new one this past Tuesday. The rocky lead-in is pretty hard, but it doesn't last very long:)

As for the "unaltered bike trail" I'm not sure. Fire Break is accessible from the same LETRA Lake parking lot that you can use to access the Med. Park Trail. However, as you leave the parking lot you turn to your left (west) for just several hundred feet on the road. As you look to your right you'll see a jeep trail. That's Fire Break. If you go on ahead you'll see a little pullout and gravel road (gated with signs saying do not block gate) on the right hand (north) side of the road. Skirt around the gate and you are on Firebreak. It starts out pretty easy for the first 2 or 3 miles, but then starts hitting you with some pretty serious climbs. Be careful on some of the descents as there are several washouts and ruts where the park vehicles have been in there when muddy. You'll know you've reached the end when you have reached another parking lot at the end where the Parallel forest will be to your left. It's a nice place to catch a little shade before heading back the same way you came. Total trip will be about 14 miles (7 each way) and you should get about 1,100 to 1,200 feet of climbing. Be sure to have sealant in your tubes or tubeless tires as there are several patches of goat heads right on the main road.

Hope that helps :)
  • 07-06-2012
    Jimmy V
    Anyone riding MP Saturday?
  • 07-06-2012
    Fly2Hi96
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    Anyone riding MP Saturday?

I can make it in the morning... gotta beat the heat.
  • 07-07-2012
    Jimmy V
    Short notice, sorry.
    A small group is meeting at the trailhead @6:30PM if anyone wants to ride.
  • 07-09-2012
    jfraser73
    Anybody riding this week?
  • 07-10-2012
    fat-but-slow
    Trail update:

The established portion of Lawtonka Trail is "as always" good to go. The abundant rains this spring has basically "camoflauged" the new portion with tall grass. In spite of this, the trail has a solid future, in that Lawton Parks and Rec. recorded a complete gps route and told me they were committed to adding signage, etc. Also, the cumbersome walk ladder required to access this trail is to be replaced with the help of the Wichita Mountain Refuge (Federal Assistance).

Btw: If anyone in charge is reading... We are ready for the new ladder, as it's about wasp season and getting hammered on top the ladder with a bike in one hand and 8.5 feet from ground is more mental toughness training than I can handle.

So, in short, I am encouraged with the interest and the increasing numbers of riders. The more it is used, the better it will get. I am anxious for the "new part" to get more use, so we can have a "continuous loop" avoiding potential Head ons. . I know portions of the track near the fence has a few high speed blind corners that have me hollering "rider up".

Perhaps before we have to "give it up" to the hunters in Oct. we can continue to grind the new stuff , slowly creating a track with flow, rhythm, and chunky goodness. Am I rambling? If so, I'll shut up for now and go ride.
  • 07-10-2012
    jfraser73
    A small group of us are riding Wednesday around 5 our 530 if anyone wants to join
  • 07-17-2012
    andrewquyendao
    Rode the Firebreak trail once again, I think its more fun to ride than the Medicine park trail (the one where you have to climb those stairs), I thought the Firebreak trail was easy but mann After about 2 miles into it, the climbs and drops start to kick in. I still have not finished it though, I rode about 5 miles into it and got wore out (100 degree weather does that)
  • 07-27-2012
    Jimmy V
    Will be at the single track trail head at 0700 Saturday if anyone would like to join.
    We have a party of 6 so far, 3 of them atr new.
    So this will be a patient ride. Hope to see some familiar faces, and new ones too!
  • 08-10-2012
    Jimmy V
    I have a small group meeting at the Medicne Park trail head at 0700 Saturday if anyone would like to join us.
    I'll check this before we start and wait a bit if I see someone is going to show.
  • 08-11-2012
    jpatt28
    I believe some of us from the city are looking to come down and ride this trail maybe within the next month. New to the site, normally browse oef forums but they are not as active. When we come down will definitely look for postings to see if anyone is riding.
  • 08-11-2012
    Jimmy V
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpatt28 View Post
    I believe some of us from the city are looking to come down and ride this trail maybe within the next month. New to the site, normally browse oef forums but they are not as active. When we come down will definitely look for postings to see if anyone is riding.

Sounds good.
  • 08-16-2012
    McLoafin
    There will be three of us riding the Lawtonka trail (what we call the Hoof Gullies) Saturday morning (8/18) at 8am if anyone want to join in. :thumbsup: 60% chance of rain, but maybe it'll hold out...
  • 08-17-2012
    Jimmy V
    Quote:

Originally Posted by McLoafin View Post
    There will be three of us riding the Lawtonka trail (what we call the Hoof Gullies) Saturday morning (8/18) at 8am if anyone want to join in. :thumbsup: 60% chance of rain, but maybe it'll hold out...

Planning to ride Wichataw Fall Saturday, unless they get any more rain.
    I that case we'll ride this one.
  • 08-24-2012
    Jimmy V
    We have a small group that is going to ride the single track this evening @ 1830, 6:30pm.
    Hope some of you can make it out.
  • 11-15-2012
    McLoafin
    Bump...only 9 more weeks until we can get back to riding the hoof gullies. The trails should really start to become more established and grow in 2013. Clear Bay, Draper, and Wee Chi Ta are all great, but the west side of Lawtonka has alot more potential and is much more challenging in my opinion.

Hunting is over Jan. 15.
  • 11-15-2012
    Kmill
    Cant wait! Great article in last sundays paper, anyone know what the plans are for the "challenging trail" they had a map marking it in blue?
  • 11-30-2012
    McLoafin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Beginnings of a new trail along the south shore of Lake Lawtonka (south side of Tackle Box / lake frontage road). Goal is to parallel the road from the boathouse area to the dam. Just laying it out currently, but should turn out to be a very challenging trail that's convenient to access.
  • 11-30-2012
    McLoafin
    4 Attachment(s)
    Here's a few other trail maps for the area. 2012 Mountains of Mayhem on Ft. Sill, Lawtonka trails on city property, Mt. Scott fire road on the refuge, and an overall map. We are also currently working on establishing more trails in and around Medicine Park. Just in the planning/begging permission stage at this point, but if all works out, 2013 is going to be a start of a very nice trail system in the area.
  • 12-11-2012
    fat-but-slow
    Bump.
    Dear McLoafin,

Thanks for the work, excellent trail beta. And thumbs up to the super cool bridge you dudes engineered. (Chad only watched) (wait a minute, did U do a load calc. test? - wheres the permit?)

Rumor has is it that "ALL" are invited Saturday morning approx. 8:30 ish (near boathouses -School House Solough ) to continue the epic visionary trail to the Lawtonka dam. ALL ARE INVITED.

Shut up and pedal.
  • 12-15-2012
    Jimmy V
    Had a great time guys, thanks.
    This trail system is looking sweet.
  • 01-22-2013
    fat-but-slow
    Thanks Ralph.
    For those who remember the treacherous "walk gate" between the Refuge and the Mtn. bike trail, well things have changed. Thanks to the work of Deputy Refuge Manager a new "super easy" walkway with self-closing gate has been installed. No longer will we be forced to ladder climb, bike carry, and be stung by wasps simultaneously. So, any and all can now access this rapidly improving trail. Pictures to follow.
  • 01-28-2013
    McLoafin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Photo of above mentioned gate. Thanks to the installers! Also, there is now a trail cut around the SW corner of the lake so you can ride straight from the dam and into the Hoof Gullies (Lawtonka Trails) without crossing the fence. There's currently only one small water crossing that will probably turn into a big water crossing when we get some rain.
  • 02-21-2013
    jfraser73
    When's the next ride? I'm ready to try out some new brakes.