Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    The trail bed is solid. the main loop had some grassy areas on each side of the trail but nothing that wasn't rideable. We had a blast and saw others on the trail doin the same. Thanks for everyones hard work, we cleaned up the track wherever we found down limbs and such too. I will try to ride this track at least once a week. Hope to see u guys there too

mtbr member
    There is a small group of us riding today at 5:30. All are welcome and it's a no drop ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am new to Lawton, Looking to mountain bike on the trails around here. Looking for a group to ride with. please email me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hey Fly, could you email me your information like email address, etc. I'd love to ride you guys out there. (andrewquyendao@yahoo.com)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewquyendao View Post
    Hey Fly, could you email me your information like email address, etc. I'd love to ride you guys out there. (andrewquyendao@yahoo.com)
    I would be glad to show you around. I'm going to try and get out there Tuesday or Wednesday evening this week at around 6:00. This weekend is out as I am going to Taos to ride some real mountains.

I'll also send you my email.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is there any place to find trails/maps near the refuge? I have read a lot of posts and really wanna try them out. I'm from OKC and have hiked and climbed in the refuge a lot, just looking to bike some. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Good job!

There's a visitor centre in the refuge with maps and info but I'm pretty sure the only biking on the refuge can be done on the firebreak trail. I have heard of at least one ranger there that gives us a hard time, it's a $200 fine for riding on any other trail than the firebreak. I have even heard of guys getting in trouble for riding the access trail to the fence to the trail in this forum, though I never have. Ride the trail mentioned in
    This forum, it's the best in the mountains.👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon29&single View Post
    Is there any place to find trails/maps near the refuge? I have read a lot of posts and really wanna try them out. I'm from OKC and have hiked and climbed in the refuge a lot, just looking to bike some. Any help would be appreciated.
    See posts #29-37, Fly2Hi96 plotted the route and it's about as good as it gets for this riding area. Get with someone on this thread for your 1st ride and you will have a good time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Gated??????

So i went to the trail head, today, and could not find a way through the gates?? do you ride around it? or hop over the steps? Whats up?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Read all of this forum. Page 2 has great pics too

mtbr member
    OK... the red on the map is the main trail and is well worn in and rockin'. The yellow trail was cut late in the spring and may be hard to follow; it's been a while since I've ridden it. Pick your bike up and climb over the steps ( the trails are on the city of Lawton property not the refuge) and head due north. When you come to the "Y" just make a loop in either direction. As soon as fall gets here I'll be back out cutting new trail with the goal of a good 10 mile loop by next summer. Of course all help will be appreciated. I'll be gone this weekend but when I get back I'm going to go out and check out the new trail and see if it can be followed. JimmyV may have ridden it since I have and may have a better idea of conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-main-trail.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ahh gotcha gotcha, so i was in the right spot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    fgdfgdgdfg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ahh so iu was right next to the trail whenevefr i went out ther.e I'll ride it 100% next time i go out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode the firebreak trail once again, since i didnt know we were allowed to climb the stairs, Firebreak trail was alright, not many spots to pick up speed though, its all flat. ran into a buffalko/bison though

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I rode the yellow trail a couple wks ago and it was ok on the far end just gotta keep your head up to stay on the trail. Look for the markers they are up in the trees above the trail. From the far end of the yellow heading back near the lake it looks like an atv blazed through it, super grassy but rideable. Watch for hidden rocks. Once the yellow trail wears in it has the best view of the lake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Anyone going to ride tommorow (Thursday, June 21)? Hit me up. (682)-478-7604.

mtbr member

Saturday/Sunday Ride

Anyone interested in riding Medicine Park tomorrow?

I'm also riding Sunday morning in Wichita Falls if anyone wants to go.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Too bad I'm working. Are u riding the wee-chi-tah trail? I ride that trail when I get a chance to but since seeing this thread I think I will bring my bike with me to work one day/night and go try this trail by the refuge. How does it compare to the trail in WF?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    At one point a year or so ago there were some trails started near Big Rock. Any idea what the status of those trails are?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    ??? U sure u rode all of Firebreak? It has a number of climbs. Much more than the Medicine Park loop. Some r tough enough that my 32/19 singlespeed requires me to stand up n grind. The back sides of the climbs have several places u can drill it for high speeds. Obviously not single track, but great training n fun. When u get to the turn around be sure to take a stroll thru the parallel forest. Pretty cool:-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyWhite68 View Post
    ??? U sure u rode all of Firebreak? It has a number of climbs. Much more than the Medicine Park loop. Some r tough enough that my 32/19 singlespeed requires me to stand up n grind. The back sides of the climbs have several places u can drill it for high speeds. Obviously not single track, but great training n fun. When u get to the turn around be sure to take a stroll thru the parallel forest. Pretty cool:-)
    The Firebreak jeep trail is also about 6mi one way.
    Good cardio with a view.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewquyendao View Post
    I rode the firebreak trail once again, since i didnt know we were allowed to climb the stairs, Firebreak trail was alright, not many spots to pick up speed though, its all flat. ran into a buffalko/bison though

The it's all flat part of you statement leads me to believe you are not riding the "Firebreak".
    It has its share of elevation changes, of I'm a bigger wimp than I lead myself to believe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ur not a wimp Jimmy V It's not a particularly technical trail/road, but it's by no means easy. An out and back is around 14 miles and you get between 1,100 and 1,200 feet of climbing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The trail that I rode was labeled something like "unaltered bike trail" or something like that. I only went about 5 miles into it though. So i didnt get very far. haha The beginning of the trail is the best spot to get some speed. Idk which one is better though the trail where you have to Hop the Stairs is INSANE! I think i only got 5 miles into that as well. I was riding into nothing but spider webs.

aint nothing but an heavy incline and rocks everywherre.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast