mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    Fly2hi, I guess I need to post more
    as I am not qualified to PM anyone
    until I have 20 posts. Anyway I'll be
    heading out in about an hour. I am
    also not qual to give the nickel tour,
    but the free one I can do.
    I live in Duncan so it will be more like an hour and half by the time I pack up and get there. If that works I'm definitely in. To get to the trail head I cross the cattle guard and take a right on the dirt road? How far down the dirt road?

Thanks
    Dave

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tour guys and it was great meeting everyone. I'm going to head out in the morning and do some trimming and some more exploring on the new sections. This place has the potential to be one of the best in the state.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009

Boots and tires on the ground

Excellent. We need your assistance, and more riders like JimmyV riding and establishing a great trail system . Ironically I'm headed to Duncan to spectate my sons triathlon. He's going off approx. 11 am after that I'm headed back to the trail. I agree with your assessment , with a little more work we can connect the existing to the new. As you can attest, the possibilities are sky high as the trail heads north toward Medicine Creek. Anyway, it was great meeting you and bring it . It is surreal to thing something with that much potential is so close. OK I will quit gushing.
    I have told more than a few to meet at 2 tomorrow, so I plan to be near the entry at that time, however whoever can come and get busy whenever......
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Here's a map of what we rode on Sunday plus some pics I took earlier in the day. This trail is gonna rock!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-medicine-park.jpg  

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-100_0298.jpg  

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-100_0299.jpg  

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-100_0300.jpg  

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-100_0302.jpg  

Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-100_0304.jpg  

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    flytohi,

The future of this place is looking good. I am excited to get back out there and clear some more territory. Do you have an "approx." mileage of the track we rode Sunday?
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Probably just north of 5 miles. Take a look at the image below. The yellow represents what I understand already exists although I understand it's not well established. The blue represents what I suggest we could do to quickly have a loop made. If we head west at the end of what you started and connect to the same trail we picked up after our adventure in the bush and then head north instead of south I believe that loops around and connects to the well established trail. Does that make sense? I'm going out there tomorrow morning to do some more exploring and trimming and to see if I can follow that north loop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Medicine Park - Lawton Riders-medicine-park.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll be at the trail head tomorrow morning at 11:00 and plan on doing some trail work and some riding if anyone wants to join in the fun.

Dave

mtbr member
    The map and pic's are awesome!
    I'm not gong to make it out Saturday.
    I'll be at the Catholic Men's conference.
    Hope to see you next time.

Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    The map and pic's are awesome!
    I'm not gong to make it out Saturday.
    I'll be at the Catholic Men's conference.
    Hope to see you next time.

Jim
    Sorry you can't make it. I have some tires for Tyler that I'll bring next time you guys come out.

mtbr member
    Thank you, have fun.

mtbr member
    This looks promising and a nice terrain change from the usual Oklahoma terrain. I am going to try and come check this out soon.

mtbr member

New Map

The areas between the yellow and blue hash marks still need trimming (going counter-clockwise) so if anyone gets a chance please work these areas. The only section of trail that is not well defined yet is the section between the blue hash marks. However, it is flagged and starting to wear in so it's pretty easy to follow. Besides the trimming what this trail needs most is riders so go get some!

I didn't get a good mileage figure because I skipped the first area that follows the shore (the green line I painted in) but my guestimate is 7 miles and 700 feet of climbing.

Fat-but-slow you did an awesome job laying out all of the new trail. I got off on the wrong line going into the woods after the second field and didn't notice until I had trimmed all the way to the bottom. I left it that way for now but we can go back and adjust the line later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    This looks promising and a nice terrain change from the usual Oklahoma terrain. I am going to try and come check this out soon.
    Yes it is very promising and the more time I spend out there the more possibilities I see. Any time you want to head down just post here and I'll be glad to show you around.

Dave

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Fly2hi,

I hiked the trail today with my family. The work you have recently done really shows. This trail is now ready for prime time. I and everyone else who gets to enjoy and ride this awesome trail thanks you. The clearing through the briar you did is priceless. I will second your opinion that this track now needs riders, and I am certain they will not be disappointed. The trail we have established is a great ride, with countless options in the future.. Once again, THANK YOU.

How to get to TH:
    1. hwy 49 thru Medicine Park Ok.
    2. Cross cattle gaurd to Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge
    3. Take first right to dirt road to Trail Head.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    I'm riding Wednesday evening if anyone wants join me. I should be there by 6:00,

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Fly2hi,
    Sorry I missed the ride Wed. We rode Tuesday and plan to ride tonite. Approx. 5 ish. Open to anyone who wants to see - ride the new trail along the Lake.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    I'll be out Saturday morning at 11:00 and I'm bringing someone new to MTB'ing so if anyone else out there wants a slow tour of the route I'll be glad to give the tour.

mtbr member
    Anyone going out this evening? We'll be at the trailhead about 5:00-5:30.
    Will wait a bit longer if I get a reply.
    Jim.

mtbr member
    Our Friday evening ride was amazing. We would like to extent as solid heartfelt Thank you for the work that has been done on these trails. We just kept saying, WOW! Over and over. We took the established trail North to the fork where newer trail veers Northwest and the established trail goes west. We followed this counter clockwise around to the yellow on the map. This is where I've had 2 sidewalk flats, where the blaze orange stocking cap is in the tree. This time the trail was a joy and when we saw it connected back to the established trail at the big mossy rock we had to stop and take it all in. My 13 year old was really stoked! I'm sure this had nothing to do with his new bike, a 2012 Specialized Camber Expert 26". Dan @ the KroOKed KranK got it in for us. Its such a sweet mount. Anyway, anyone who rides this area and you haven't been out in a while, you must get out there. To anyone new here looking for the best singletrack in the regon, this is it!
    Again to fat-but-slow, Fly2Hi96 and everyone else that works on or rides these awsome trails,
    Thank you! From me and my family.
    Jim.

mtbr member
    Do they have ride arounds for the technical sections? Would like to take my 10 year old or is it too technical. He currently rides Draper minus the red trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerBrian View Post
    Do they have ride arounds for the technical sections? Would like to take my 10 year old or is it too technical. He currently rides Draper minus the red trail.
    There are no ride arounds (we just finished the loop) and there are sections that he would have to walk due to rocks and or steep climbs or descents. I have a 9 year old daughter and she could ride 90% of the trail but I would have to help her with the other 10%. There are also a couple of places where the trail is hard to follow but I hope to have that worked out this weekend. IMO the trail is most similar to Murray but there are some sections that are more technical.

Hope that helps.
    Dave

mtbr member

Awesome work!

Thanks guys, this looks and sounds amazing. I can't wait to get out and ride here in the next couple weekends!
    If its not a bumpy ride, I'm not interested.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I live in Altus, ok and need to find a riding group to do regular rides with. I usually ride Tom Steed or Medicine park trail. If anyone is interested in getting a ride group together let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just rode the trail last wknd. Awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmill View Post
    Just rode the trail last wknd. Awesome.
    Thanks for the update. I had not been going there because I figured it would be overgrown from lack of use

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast