mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Maah Daah Hey unsupported

I'm thinking of doing a solo north to south unsupported bike packing trip this coming late September. I'm planning to haul all my gear, food, and water along the way either on paniers or a bob trailer. I've been reading up on this trail from all sorts of sites and most of my questions have been answered.
    Couple questions I have is, are the campsites free or pay to use? First come first serve of reserve? If I don't make it to a camp site before sun down or get too tired to continue, can I just put up tent anywhere I want?

EDIT: Just found the answer to my first two questions. Camping & Lodging | MAAH DAAH HEY.ORG
    My last one is still standing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    While I don't see forsee you not making it to one of the 9 campgrounds. I would say you are good as long as you arent making a fire and or a mess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Only on public land

You can not camp on private land. You will have plenty of space in the camsites, perhaps have them all to yourself.
    You don't have to haul water in September, the taps in the campsites should still be open(unless it's unseasonably cold)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm interested in this trip, too. Any information that you guys could share would be great. I've read that the trail is tough to follow at times due to the terrain and cow paths. How is this trail drom a navigation viewpoint?

CC

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Get the map

You can get a good map from the forest service. It includes an elevation profile.
    Yeah, in some spots it's hard to stay on the trail.
    Bring the map and a compass and know how to use them. A GPS is a great help too, as there are not many reference points you can pick out in the terrain to triangulate your position. Plan on spending some time each day routefinding or backtracking. There are a fair number of dirt roads and oilwells in the area that can be used to get yourself back on track

It is also a good idea to bring a large scale map showing the area around the trail, including the highway, as in many places the trail map doesn't show the highway, so it's hard to know the best route out to the highway if you have to bail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've been thinking about a similar trip too. I'd like to do it sometime this year, but I'm not sure of a good time to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree with Tjaard's comments on the map. A friend and I rode parts of the trail a while back and we spent half the day getting lost due to poor maps that didn't show roads. The roads around the trail were poorly marked so using a GPS to match up to your position on a map would be helpful. We ended up getting a good map at the ranger's station in Medora.

Nothing is more frustrating then planning a trip for months and only having a couple days to do it, just to spend half a day in the car driving around getting lost on back roads.