banned
    Nov 2011

Maah Daah Hey Trail in western ND.....

Does anyone here ride these trails regularly? I might be taking a trip up that way in spring to check out Bismarck, ND and surrounding areas of western ND, and wanted to bring the steeds to ride the MDH Trail when up that way.

So anyone out there that rides the MDH regularly, and when is the best time to ride it or even bike pack it?

Thank in advance...

On-On!

mtbr member
    This spring you might be ok, we've had very little snow this year. Best thing to do would be to contact Dakota Cyclery in Medora for current conditions when you come.

Welcome to Dakota Cyclery!

There's some trails in the Bismarck/Mandan area too. This guy's got it pretty well covered.

Bismarck / Mandan - Mountain Biking Trail Guide

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai-CP View Post
    Does anyone here ride these trails regularly? I might be taking a trip up that way in spring to check out Bismarck, ND and surrounding areas of western ND, and wanted to bring the steeds to ride the MDH Trail when up that way.

So anyone out there that rides the MDH regularly, and when is the best time to ride it or even bike pack it?

Thank in advance...

On-On!
    Spring in North Dakota is June/July.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Spring in North Dakota is June/July.
    Not this year. I just got back to Utah two days ago from North Dakota and it was consistently warmer than it is here.

As for the Maah Daah Hey trail, it is a lot of fun but if you end up doing it in the spring, make sure you pay attention to the weather. If the trail gets wet, it is darn near impossible to maneuver even on your feet. The dirt has bentonite clay in it and when wet, it sticks to everything so your tires will weigh 50 lbs. each and it is slick just like grease.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006
    The Little Missouri can run deep in the spring.

MaahDaahHey.org

I ride the MDH weekly...

April, May, and June SHOULD all offer some great ridding on the trail this year due to the type of winter we're having up here this year, no snow. Ride the south end down by Medora if you want to ride the sections of the trail that are best maintained (way more tourism down there, but also relatively more trail "traffic" too). Ride the middle sections and Northern end of the trail if you want more solitude and truly epic bike packing. If you're going to bike pack the MDH end to end I'd wait until August, September or even October otherwise the river crossing is way too unreliable. If you end up only having a one or two day shot to ride in the spring tell me what type of rides you want and I'll tell you the hot spots; Devils Pass, China Wall, more trees, more switchbacks & killer climbs, the best downhill spots, more rugged, less rugged, easiest accessed, out & back, point to points, etc. Trust me, this is my trail! I ride it weekly and nearly have it all memorized.

Also check out Harmon Lake Trail & Sleepy Hallow Trail while in the Bismarck area.
    Let the journey continue!

Team 9.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick "Rev" Ybarra View Post
    April, May, and June SHOULD all offer some great ridding on the trail this year due to the type of winter we're having up here this year, no snow. Ride the south end down by Medora if you want to ride the sections of the trail that are best maintained (way more tourism down there, but also relatively more trail "traffic" too). Ride the middle sections and Northern end of the trail if you want more solitude and truly epic bike packing. If you're going to bike pack the MDH end to end I'd wait until August, September or even October otherwise the river crossing is way too unreliable. If you end up only having a one or two day shot to ride in the spring tell me what type of rides you want and I'll tell you the hot spots; Devils Pass, China Wall, more trees, more switchbacks & killer climbs, the best downhill spots, more rugged, less rugged, easiest accessed, out & back, point to points, etc. Trust me, this is my trail! I ride it weekly and nearly have it all memorized.

Also check out Harmon Lake Trail & Sleepy Hallow Trail while in the Bismarck area.
    Describe Devils Pass and China Wall? Also where is a section of the trail that is downhill or flowy, maybe some jumps thrown in, I'm riding a Yeti 575 coming from Grand Junction, CO, so I'm looking for something that is going to entertain me like CO did