mtbr member
    Mar 2012

LOOKING for advice on kansas riding

Ill be visiting the Kansas area within the next month and looking for ride options....Ill be in McPherson KS for about a week...whats the epic rides I just cant miss? i guess a little background info might help.... im used to 20 mile rides of TN/NC riding xc/all mountain

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    McPherson!? The real question should be how far are you willing to drive?

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Lake Wilson might be the closest decent trail? 2hrs drive

mtbr member
    There is a bike shop in McPherson. You might check with them. Closest things I have heard of would be over in Great Bend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    lake wilson is the place,at the wilson state park,north at the I-70 exit. Switchgrass Trail-a facebook page and an IMBA epic status. Much has been said of this trail, most of it is true, a very fine example of a purpose built mountain bike trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    driving is not gonna be an issue...just lookin for some trails to help keep ya sanity while in the middle of nowhere...anyone ever rode Kanopolis

mtbr member
    Coronado Heights has a trail. I ride the river trail and lake barton in GB quite a bit. You need to ride the river with a group the first time because the trail interweaves with ATV trails and it is easy to loose track of it. Just call Doug at Golden Belt Bicycle and he can let you know when the next group ride is. Night rides on Tues. and Thurs. evenings weather permitting. There is also a blanket race series that runs through the winter. He can clue you in on this also. Not in a bad location to head east to Topeka and KC either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I grew up near there and it begins and ends with Switchgrass. Might also check out the trails near Manhattan and Lawrence if you have time, but you can't not go to Switchgrass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You might also want to check out Camp Horizon in Arkansas City. Millers Meadow is a staple of Wichita. Horizon is definitely way more of a challenge....doesn't even feel like your in KS anymore. Millers is flat fast and pretty fun for what it is. Switchgrass is KS holy grail so ride if you get a chance!
    2012 SF 100 AL <~~~I LOVE THIS BIKE!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ok so swirchgrass is a must.....and the horse thief canyon trail in Kanopolis is looking interesting as well...thanks for the input guys!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Please report back on Kanapolis. I'm interested to hear what it's like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ive hiked it several years ago when i was in college....really cool seing the mini canyons, (well for a Tennessee native at least) ill be taking my gopro so I'll grab some video of it