mtbr member
    May 2011

Live in Omaha and looking for a day mtb trip

Hey all, I live in Omaha, Ne and a few friends and myself were thinking of taking a few 1-2 day trips this summer and was curious for suggestions on some killer trails withing 4-6 hours driving. Didn't know whats available in IA, MO, KS, or SD.

mtbr member
    Ive been thinking about the same thing.
    Not sure about ks or sd, but I'm personally going to check out berryman and chadwick in southern missouri.

Chadwick leans more towards downhill, berryman more towards miles and miles of xc.
    They might be worth it since they are kind of close to each other, but might require different bikes.

Pedal on.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Sugarbottom near Iowa City, IA is a popular choice. I never made it over there when I lived in Omaha, but it's supposed to be pretty fun. The DHPT trail system in Decorah, IA is a blast! Landahl Park and Swope Park down in KC are also very fun trail systems.

mtbr member
    Govenors Mansion or "Mennigers" is pretty fun. http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...2_4548crx.aspx

Dornwood is probably my favorite that is the closest to me in Topeka. http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...4_4548crx.aspx

Then my second favorite is Lawrence River Trail in Lawrence, KS. http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...9_4548crx.aspx

I haven't ventured to the KC trails yet but I have not heard anything bad about Swope or Landahl. Other than than Landahl can be quite technical and challenging.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    There is a sky area near Boone Iowa called "Seven Oaks" which doubles as a mountain bike course in the summer. I went there last year and it was awesome. On your way there, you can check out Muscatine Lake near Norfolk, Nebraska. The KC area is supposed to be pretty good, and Manhattan KS area as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Lake Wilson, about an hour past Salina on I-70. Can't be beat.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming! We plan on taking a couple day trips if our work schedules and weather permits.

OLDFATSLOW
    Jul 2006
    Kansas City area is a great stop. Many trails to ride, all within 1 hour or less of each other. Check the Earthriders site, they have lots of info and you can get trail conditions. You also have St. Joseph and Smithville that are a little closer. Earthriders Forum • Index page
    OLDFATSLOW

Scallywag
    Jul 2009
    Im sure all the trails are good. KC offers nightlife, an abundance of trails for variety and plenty of restaurants and sights. Try to catch an evening Royals game while your at it. Check out earthriders website. And close as hell. Lake wilson and others are fun but when the ride is over....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    If you are going to drive 4-6 hours to bike in the mid-west, I would say drive a couple more hours to Colorado or Wyoming. There is a lot of great mountain biking in the Vedauvoo area west of Cheyenne, which is an hour closer to Omaha than Denver. We used to drive out from Omaha after work on Wed or Thursday evening, set up camp about midnight, bike/rock climb until early Sunday afternoon and be back in Omaha before midnight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Switchgrass at Lake Wilson, Kansas. The KWP has cabins within a stone's throw.

CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am from KC doing a weekend trip to Switchgrass....wanting to get away for the hustle and bustle and have nothing to do at night. That being said, KC has some great trails, most withing 30 mins of Downtown. Lawrence and Manhattan also have nice stuff.

Probably drunk right now

Live in Omaha and looking for a day mtb trip

Kansas City
    Wilson Lake, KS
    Rapid City, SD
    Northwest Arkansas (Eureka Springs, Bentonville)
    Berryman Trail, MO
    Front Range, CO

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Fancy Creek, north of Manhattan, KS, is about 3 hours from Omaha. Add on some time at the Tuttle Creek Offroad Park, just a couple miles south of Fancy Creek, and you have some pretty serious riding. Fancy Creek has a campground but no showers. There's another campground (Randolph Campground) on the east side of Tuttle Creek reservoir with outdoor showers Or you can stay in Manhattan if you're looking for nicer accommodations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would suggest sticking to KC. You can see the local trails here:

Trails

I've done Swope and Landahl, which were fun trails.

You'll have a variety of night life, have good local beer after rides, and decent trails.

If you're wiling to venture a couple more hours, I'd definitely recommend going to Colorado's front range. We have great threads on here that cover the many trails you'll find in the front range.