mtbr member

Lawton Race 3/8/09

Post up if you are going!
    What are you going to ride?
    Are you going with a club or group?
    Have you been before?
    It seems that the last few years has had a drop in racers so hopefully this year we can turn this around.

Hacker at best
    Dec 2007
    Post up if you are going! Yes
    What are you going to ride? ? Mountain only, Enduro SL.
    Are you going with a club or group? About ten of us from Enid.
    Have you been before? Yes.
    It seems that the last few years has had a drop in racers so hopefully this year we can turn this around. Correct, I don't see this year getting any better with the lack of publicity. If they get a good website up and have a decent turnout this year I think it will start to grow agian.

mtbr member
    Si
    Cdale Rush
    Six so far
    Last year was the first time since I live in TX now.
    I hope rain isnt going to be a major factor this weekend
    ~Dont taze me Bro~

old slow guy
    Nov 2008
    Yes
    Specialized stumpjumper fsr expert
    Making the trip solo but several from my club KSS and and others from the area will be there.
    This is my second year.
    I'm also concerned about the attendance. hopefully there will be a different promoter or a more active style of promotion next year.

Twin Six METAL
    Less than 200 racers this year, terrible course, terrible work clearing and cleaning the course, only about 8 miles long. Since it is on the base, they want to run it and won't let any of the money that it brings in leave the base. It's unfortunate, but I believe this year we saw the base kill this race. Most won't be back for another one.
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's too bad to hear. By the way Mark, the story will be in April's Racing Post. Let me know if you want a copy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This was my first and probably my last trip.

Too bad...it has lots of potential...they need help from riders/racers on routes.

I'm kicking myself for not entering the short track race on sat., I could have won that since nobody entered: )

Twin Six METAL
    Thanks Ellis, I would love a copy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hills of Hell Bike Event

Riders,

Shane Dunlevy here, the point of contact for the Hills of Hell. First, those of you who participated, we sincerely appreciate your patronage.

Unfortunately, I cannot dispute many points concerning this year's event. Although it is correct, the course was only 9.8 Miles in distance, there were some improvements over previous year's (Food and beer being provided at no cost, electronic timing, as well as relocation of the start/finish area).

It is correct that due to changes in Federal Gov't Regulations, Fort Sill MWR took on the responsibility of hosting the Hills of Hell Bike Event in 2008 (Hence the name change for the event). For the 2008 event, we had assistance from experienced riders who provided valuable information concering the event.

Unfortunately, due to our late start for this year's event, we were unable to get assistance from the riders that assisted last year. As a result, the course was a shorter distance.

I, as the event point of contact, can assure you that we have absolutely no intention of "driving this event into the ground", or wasting anyone's gas or time to participate in this event. We only want this event to grow. It is correct, we did not do a stellar job of getting information out, or publicizing the event.

We are already working towards reaching out to riders concerning next year's event, and would value any input you may provide. Again, thanks for participating and this will continue to improve, as we also would like to see numbers in the 400's and 500's, if not more.

old slow guy
    Nov 2008
    Shane,
    Thanks for posting here and thank you for your effort in putting on the event. Most of us want to see this event survive and reach it's full potential. This was only my second year to race there. While I heard a lot of people complaining before the race, once I was on the trail I found only a few disappointing things. Looking back on it I would say that you provided the most punishing event that I will ride this year, and that is exactly why I went.

Also, the prompt posting of the race results was a pleasant change. We often have to wait a week or more for results to be posted.
    Last edited by agave802003; 03-10-2009 at 05:09 PM.

Twin Six METAL
    Shane,

Thanks for coming on here and letting us know your side of the story. It's unfortunate that the regulations have driven things to be this way. I understand all that goes into putting on an event, and how tough an endeavor it can be, when gov't restrictions are tying your hands it's gotta make it even worse.

This year was disappointing. I hope that there wasn't too much damage done that it can't be repaired by a better designed course and more promotion next year. This race has a ton of potential, there have been years that over 1000 people were on the startline, a few Pros included in that mix, but it's been a while for that. I would love to see it return to what it was, but it's really going to take some promoting of the event. Even a week out from this even people were still asking the question, "is there going to be a Hills of Hell this year?"

Looking forward to seeing improvements in the future,
    Mark

Closekids.com
    Lots of people taking pictures on the trail, anyone know if they posted them somewhere?

Closekids.com

old slow guy
    Nov 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I missed the race this year. Word of mouth got around that the trail was short and alot of hike a bike. It is by far one of my favorite trails to do. I decided instead to do a preride for Turkey mountain Tulsa race coming up in less than two weeks. I'm not a climber but I love the downhill parts at HOH. I'm hoping to do it next year. Hopefully they'll make it 17miles like it was the first time I ever did it. That was tough. I wish the Fort Sill guys the best when it comes to putting this ride back up where it belongs. I will be there if all goes well.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

Davir

probably have more important things to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by gt jorgito
    I missed the race this year. Word of mouth got around that the trail was short and alot of hike a bike. It is by far one of my favorite trails to do. I decided instead to do a preride for Turkey mountain Tulsa race coming up in less than two weeks. I'm not a climber but I love the downhill parts at HOH. I'm hoping to do it next year. Hopefully they'll make it 17miles like it was the first time I ever did it. That was tough. I wish the Fort Sill guys the best when it comes to putting this ride back up where it belongs. I will be there if all goes well.

You know its an army base think about it Iraq, Afghanistan Training troops to drive big bad tanks and blow stuff up with artillery hey so they didn't do a good job with the race. Lets cut them a break they need to focus on the task at hand!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Totally agree with you. It's because of those hero soldiers we get to ride our bikes in peace over here. That's pretty awesome in my book. I'm sure next year's race is gonna be a blast and torture. For the record, I never said they did a bad job, just that I didn't go cuz of word of mouth. Go U.S.A!!!!
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

2010 Hills of Hell

In case you've not heard, the dates for 2010 Hills of Hell are Saturday, 6 March and Sunday, 7 March 2010. We'll continue to post updates as we progress throughout the year.

Closekids.com
    Any more pictures posted? I saw at least 3 groups of photographers. The link I posted before probably has one pic of everyone. But, there was someone taking pics coming down the Kevinator.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Guys,

Shane here. I apologize for the delayed response. Concerning the Hills of Hell pictures, there were three photographers out on the course. Two of them were with the Installation Newspaper. THeir pictures can be found via www.sillmwr.com, look for the FLICKR link located on the left hand side of the page. The third individual has taken pictures of the event for the previous 15 or so years. Unfortunately, his name is escaping me, as well as others. We will continue to attempt to track him down.

On another note, we will begin the planning stages of the 2010 Hills of Hell in early to mid May. We'll certainly be asking for input and keeping you updated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Shane, thanks for the info.

BTW...really enjoyed our weekend of camping and riding.
    The beer and pizza on Sat. night and the burgers after the race really hit the spot too.
    Thanks.
    Tim