mtbr member

Lawton OK or anywhere near by?

I will be in Lawton for work and will have a free weekend. A co-worker and I would love to rent some MTB's and hit some trails to kill at least a day. is there anyplace in the area, lets say within 2 hours of Lawton that has decent rentals and good single track? any info is greatly appreciated!
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    In Lawton you have Medicine Park. Wichita Falls has some single track also. Can't recall the name of it. In Norman, you have Lake Thunderbird, OKC has Bluff Creek and Lake Stanley Draper. Not sure how many hours away it is but Watonga has Roman Nose, and Ardmore has Lake Murray. As far as bike rentals go, I only know of Schlegel's here in OKC. If you're gonna be here this Sunday, Lake Stanley Draper is having their Tour de Dirt XC race lol. I'll be there racing Cat 2.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Aspirated View Post
    In Lawton you have Medicine Park. Wichita Falls has some single track also. Can't recall the name of it. In Norman, you have Lake Thunderbird, OKC has Bluff Creek and Lake Stanley Draper. Not sure how many hours away it is but Watonga has Roman Nose, and Ardmore has Lake Murray. As far as bike rentals go, I only know of Schlegel's here in OKC. If you're gonna be here this Sunday, Lake Stanley Draper is having their Tour de Dirt XC race lol. I'll be there racing Cat 2.
    Draper aka Turn, Turn, Turn, Puke, Turn, Turn Turn, Turn, Turn x 10000

mtbr member
    My favorite course. I hate climbing...
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    are there enough trails in the OK city area to make a day trip and rental worth while?
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos

mtbr member
    I would say so. But that also depends on your fitness level. Keep in mind that all trails I've mentioned are singletrack XC. Oklahoma doesn't really have any other kind of trail.

If you are a beginner, Clear Bay (Lake Thunderbird) is gonna kill you. You might not want to ride any more after it. Also it does get sandy, I haven't been since the beginning of the year, so I don't know it's current condition. It's composed of multiple trails, that when linked, if i remember correctly is around 20 miles long.

Lake Stanley Draper has been great. Mostly flat, some sand, but we've cleared a lot of it since we have a race event on Sunday. It's about 12 miles long from parking lot to parking lot. Draper consists of 5 trails, plus 1 trail specifically for jumps.

Bluff Creek is a short, 4 mile trail, with lots of various terrain. It's pretty fun, but if you're fit, can be done in 30 mins easily.
    Yeti SB-66 Carbon

mtbr member
    thanks, if i do end up ridding it sounds like I will hit Lake Stanley Draper. I am not a beginner by any means but I haven't put many miles in this year so my conditioning is not where it should be this late in the season...
    Trek Fuel EX 6
    Cannondale F5
    Felt Z100

My photos