Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS

42K views 417 replies 9 participants last post by  slakjak 
#1 ·
Anyone ride this lately? I lost track of where the trail ended and the pasture started around 89th, around mile 12 or so.

#203 ·
That is a nice looking ride ryno, ya'll did a great job on that.

Got the new shifter put on and sorted out the other battle damage on the SJ, it's ready to go. I guess I'm waiting for some weather now. Had the chance to get all the bikes gone over and ready to go. It's too early for spring fever but I think I got a touch of it.

#204 ·
Thanks! I really, really, like it! Expo says i'll probably be itching for a 29'r by May or June. I dunno about that I really like this bike!

Spring Fever...You and me both! I just wanna go ride! The weather's not cooperating. Co-worker of mine said his wife walked their dog at Dornwood today and he got all sorts of muddy.

They're predicting snow tonight and tomorrow. Enough of that we got our white stuff for the year! :p

PS: Glad you got your SJ all fixed back up!

#207 ·
Jak, glad to see others are being productive while we're iced-in. I know a lot of guys are riding, but I've been under the weather, so none for me.

Ryno, you know a guy that can likely find you some 650 wheels, but then you gotta find rubber/tubes ('less you go tubeless), and then you're stuffing things in there. After I get my next carbon wheelset, we'll go ride The 'Wood, and you can ride my carbon 29er, then we'll see how "happy" you are. Actually, I like the looks of your bike, and it's tempting for me not to build one like it.

Folks, I've been telling Ryno to keep it (his money) in his pants (pocket), and wait to upgrade. Please do not feed the animals. He's got the bug.

It's odd how easily "spring fever" will creep up when we've been able to ride the last 10 months. Around here, in the last 2-3 years, there've only been about 4 months that it's been difficult to ride due to cold weather. We've been been blessed w/ nice, nice weather. Once I start feeling well enough to ride I won't be on the trail, but I'll be hitting the Landon every chance I get. If it snows I'm going out for a bit, I don't care how I feel. I've don't have to work until Friday.

#208 ·
Ya plus if I spend anymore money my wife will have my arse on a silver platter lol.

Thanks for the compliments on the bike guys! Expo has really helped me to make her nice! She's been around the block a few times but she's got alot of new age stuff riding on that frame.

#209 ·
You are certainly right Expo. Last few winters have been so kind that it has probably spoiled me. Been getting out as much as someone in Florida. How I forget shoveling 9 inches of snow Christmas time 4 or 5 years ago so easily. Hope you feel better soon.

Yep ryno, I was afraid things would get muddy with this stuff thawing and refreezing so much, and now more on the way. LRT wasn't muddy last time out, but it was sure soft. Last time, the daughter and I ran the mansion trails, they were pretty soft too. Made the pea gravel easy to deal with. I guess the civilized trails will have to do until mother nature is ready for knobbys again.

I guess I will take the tree down tomorrow and try to think of something I need from Menard's that will fit in the 20% off bag that came in the paper today.

#211 ·

Attachments

#214 ·
Quick question... Is there any trails with some Dirt Jumps around. I haven't attempted any of that jazz in years. Since I was a kid riding a Rigid frame MTB. I don't want BMX stuff just enough to get a little air. Most of the stuff around I've rode so far has been with alot of switchbacks and drops through wooded areas w/ rooty - rocky climbs and descents.

#215 ·
Mansion trails has a practice area off the back of the red trail close to where it comes out at the road to the boat ramp at the state park. North of the red trail, 2 entrances. Mostly bmx stuff but a couple of jumps with some room to get some speed up.

Also some trials stuff with logs and stumps.

There used to be a wooden bridge made out of pallets off one of the jumps with the idea of taking the jump and landing on the bridge. Someone took the bridge out. They probably saved my life.

#217 ·
There used to be a little bmx track/trail through the woods just East of Dillon's in Brookwood. Just on the East side of the creek. I can tell you how to get there. You are just a few block from there anyway. That trail got pretty extensive back in the day, and it has been there forever. Might be bigger but it might be smaller these days. Go check it out.

Slakjak, that guy explained better how to past 89th. I have walked part of that (before the trail came through for bikes). They must've fixed the old railroad bridge up because it used to be sketchy to even walk over it. If the trails are squishy that would be a good place to ride (I mean the Landon, not necessarily clear out there).

If you get to the trails before they thaw every day you should be able to ride plenty. I just can't stand the cold well enough to do it. Ryno's sched is perfect for that sort of riding sched.

#218 ·
Ya. I loved riding this fall before work every day. One day I even met up with Jack by accident.

I'll have to check out east side of that creek I know there is the Heartland BMX between Gage and Fairlawn on the shunga trail. Maybe i'll go mess around there too. Last time I rode by there it was all roped off.

#219 ·
I think I will be happy with Landon going to 89th until more work is done past there. It was hard riding from 89th on to Shawnee Heights. They seemed to have done the bridge work and now working on the trails. Maybe some day we will be able to ride the old Missouri Pacific line to Ottawa. I figure for a good long ride I will ride to 89th and ride east on 89th to Clinton Lake. I don't wish to take on Puke Hill again in the near future.

Was going to get back to my normal schedule next week when all of a sudden, the wife gets a jury duty summons so I might have the grandkids all next week, won't know until Sunday night. I still want to get to Perry.

Got my daughter a Garmin FR410 for Christmas and she is itching to put some miles on it so we are going out tonight to run Shunga. Haven't done any outside running or biking in a couple of weeks, so if you see a cross with flowers on it at the side of the trail, that's me.

Going to do everything in my power to be out at the Governor's place Sunday a.m. before things thaw out.

#223 ·
I almost hit the Gov's today. I think I'm comming down with something so the wife talked me into Shunga. Paved trails were soupy in the trees dirt trails looked pretty saturated too. I got my bike muddy enough on the paved stuff. I fought a squeaking dragging front rotor the whole ride too. I feel worse now than when I left. Good luck on the dirt. Maybe you can ride it in the morning when it's still frozen.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#224 ·
I'm thinking things may be soggy too. Maybe I will hit Shunga or Landon tomorrow morning and decide about Monday after the wife finds out if she has to go in for jury duty or not. Ran Shunga Wednesday night and Friday Morning and it was touchy in quite a few places.

Hope you get feeling better. Everyone seems to be coming down with something.

#225 ·
Ya I rode 9 miles yesterday on the Shunga / Landon. I haven't ran since Nov. I need to start doing that again.

Last night was miserable. Hot/Cold/Hot and all the other stuff that comes with having the flu.

I took today off. Still kinda under the weather. Hopefully I can return to work tomorrow.

#226 ·
Train was 5 hours late this morning so didn't get out except for riding a slightly better shifting Schwinn against the wind home this morning. Slept the whole rest of the day.

Wife doesn't have to report for Jury duty tomorrow but has to call in again tomorrow night so I think I will ride down to 89th on the Landon tomorrow and see if the higher temps will do some trail drying this week.

It seems like I get sick after getting the flu shot every year, but not as bad as the flu. The grand kids bring every germ known to man over here from school/pre-school so we keep up on the shots.

Enjoy the 50's this week!

Perry next Monday (I hope, I hope)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.