Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Thanks slakjak. Yep I'm a little bit of a distance from you'll (Sedalia, MO) but, still enjoy reading about the trails out your way and do plan on a trip there this spring.

mtbr member
    A few of us rode yesterday morning at Dornwood, it was pretty fun! I look forward to riding with ya in the spring!

mtbr member
    Be glad to have you. Compiling quite a list of them to do myself. Think I got enough to keep me for about 3 spring/summer seasons already.

Will have to put that Lake Wilson near the top. The wife and I had to detour that way last summer on the way to Lucas and really were taken by the color of the lake. We had been planning to get back out there sometime and after seeing that video, will certainly be thinking of doing that as soon as we can.

mtbr member
    Guy I rode with Sat. IDKid said that Lake Wilson is quite fun to ride! I wanna make it out to Perry pretty bad. I just gotta ride more and get better. I was huffing some major air Sat. and eating everyone's dust.

But i've only rode Shunga, Gov., and Dornwood 2 times now. Shunga's more of a leisurely ride. It's nothing compared to Dwood or Gov's.

mtbr member
    Went to LRT this morning. Froze, but it sure was worth it. An 8 mile roller coaster ride is about the best description I could give it. My new favorite for sure. Didn't care for those sand pits between mile 5 and 6 and don't know why they are there. They don't seem to fit in the character of the trail. But I think I saw a detour around the worst part of it and will try it next time out. Flat out fun. Took the StumpJumper and was glad I did. I did have that trail arm bolt back out on me again but I had the tools this time so no long walk for me.

When you go fast, you crash fast. I bit it pretty hard when I was going pretty fast. Good thing I was bundled up for the cold or I might have been banged up pretty good. When I went to pick up the bike, noticed the seat was completely turned backwards!

Had a bit of trouble finding it so I parked in the lot across from the Visitor's Center and pedaled eastward down the dike and found it. Now I know how to get to it. (basically take any street east north of the river to 8th street and turn south)

Well, got to let the doctors, probers, blood stealers, and testers have me for the rest of the week. Hope ya'll get out this week.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping you guys might be able to enlighten me a little on the mansion trails. After coming to the end of the red trail by the train tracks and dirt parking lot I continued west and was riding mostly uphill. I eventually turned around and rode back the way I came which was awesome. Is there somewhere to park where I can hit these trails west of the mansion starting from the uphill? There is another old historic looking building on that western side that looks like it might be a possibility for a parking area.

mtbr member
    That old building is Menigers. The old State Asylum. Yes when you ride the red trail (might be blue) i believe it is there is a road to the west. Follow that road up and to the river and there is a parking lot you can park in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    For what it takes in time to get to the LRT, and the reward you get for going, it is the best "bang for the buck" around - if you like flowy, fast, and fun. I used to ride that thing every day when I was in college. Sometimes I'd ride it twice (sometimes more) in a day. I'd go down after breakfast, go home for lunch, head back down, then home for dinner, then down again. Other days I'd spend the day down there. The trail changed quite a bit after the floods. Some parts changed for the better others didn't really change for the better. There a more people than ever using it and caring for it, and it shows. It used to be "wilder" back in the day, but it was shorter and not as well cared-for. Pick your poison.

I can (try to) explain how to avoid the sandpit: When you come out of the woods on the East end into the younger trees, you will almost immediately come to a fork (one left and to the SE, and the right one sort of goes to the SW), take the right one, and you will avoid the sandtrap. I'd suggest that you don't ride the sandtrap as dry as it's been. After we get some precip, maybe try it. That's part of the trail that used to be great before the floods, there was a swampy area in the middle where those young trees are now, and beyond that, right up against the river the trail was superb. It was hard-packed, black dirt that dropped off 10 ft or so to the big sand bar at that bend that wraps around almost 180 degrees. In late May, when everyone had gone home, that place was the best. It was just hot and humid and fast. There was about a 2 week window before the lack of use would give way to the stinging nettles, and even after that it was worth braving the trail because there was no one there. As a father, I started my daughter on that trail. When I was dating my (now) wife, we used to ride there. We once dug up a Giant Iguana that presumably had been lost in the flood and covered by the sandbar. It's so different now that none of that nostalgia remains, and it's so well taken care of and well-ridden, that it's hard to complain.

When/If it warms up, I'll be heading over the right after work. I plan to be on the trail by 3:50. A weekend ride might be crowded, but it would be worth a try. If there is snow on the ground, and a full moon, this trail can almost be ridden without a light. Think about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    BTW Ryno, Menningers wasn't the State asylum. Topeka State Hospital was. It is where Hummer Sports Parks is now. Menninger's was private, and treated lots of people whose names we would all know. Growing up, if you saw someone famous in this town, you knew they were likely staying Menninger's or had friends that were. Marilyn (yes, THAT one) was here at some point. Now there are a bunch of new "crazies" riding bikes all over out there.

Speaking of TSH, I think there is a small bit of trail out there. I know there's a CX race out there. I don't know much else about it though. Maybe we should find out?

mtbr member
    Ah my mistake. I haven't lived here but more than 5-6 years so that's just what I gathered from other locals. I guess I was mistaken. Cool finding out all of this history from ya! I'd be down for some exploring sometime.

mtbr member
    Would love to do some riding with you out at LRT expost. After I get through this week, will certainly want to get back out there. I really enjoyed it. I think I saw that trail you are talking about missing the worst of the sand pits. That will keep it fast. I could see going around twice easy if I could avoid the sand. I would have gone around again today but it was so darn cold and I still had a ride down the dike to get back to the truck.

And IDkid, if you want all downhill on the west side, turn west on 6th Ave from Fairlawn and go to the roundabout. Make sure you go NORTH on Wanamaker at the roundabout and continue up to the State Parks and Wildlife office building. You can park there and hit the trail on the backside of the building. But remember, once you go down, you have to go back up to go home. Myself, I rather ride the uphill and then do the downhill on the way back.

And ryno and IDkid, you just have to get to LRT. You too motoolfan, make sure it's on your list.

I run through the TSH grounds once a week. The only trails I know of are on the west side where the police and state troopers train their dogs. Cub scouts shoot rockets off from there too. It's not much for biking that I know of, pretty grassy. Runners use it. Might be something there I don't know about. Will have to take a peek next time I am out there. There is a ton of construction going on out there on the north side. I'm sort of hoping it will open up some more access on the backside of the grounds.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that building definitely had a creepy vibe to it...to the point that I could see it and out of curiosity kind of wanted to ride over and check it out but didn't. Didn't help that the light was beginning to fade, lol. So the explanations make sense. Going off Google Maps satellite view it looks like one could park just to the northeast of the building by the edge of the trees and start riding from there. Or is this private land?

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm already excited for spring and the new riding season to get here!

mtbr member
    Ok, got it. Looks like we posted right at the same time there. Thanks, slakjak.

mtbr member
    I've too wanted to go check out the grounds of that place. From what wiki says it closed in 2002ish. Even Brett Farve has sought treatment there.

Here's the wiki that I found the info off of if your in for a short read.

Menninger Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

mtbr member
    You have to be careful on the property around the buildings. It is posted. There are cameras. I don't think they bother you if you are just biking or hiking but I wouldn't linger too long. Some punks really tore up the building a few years back and they keep a pretty good eye on it now. Looks like they are doing some trail work in places to skirt the main building area but still allow access. St Francis has bought most of the property associated with it and there will be a hospital there with all the other buildings and businesses associated with it.

But with the State Park there now also, there will always be our trails there on the west side. The trail work they are doing there now make it apparent that they really want to make it nice. There were big piles of pea gravel on the main trail from where widowmaker comes up down to where the last gravel was dropped all the way to the wooden bridge and where the widowmaker crossing trail starts up topside. Once they get all that pea gravel down and it settles, it will be a very fast trip downhill on the main trail. Might have to put a net at the bottom to catch you.

mtbr member
    Ya I saw some folks with a truck and trailer on the St. Wildlife side doing something there a week or two ago. I drove up to see where I could park and they kind of gave me the stink eye. This was before I knew you could access it from 6th street or Fairlawn.

I wasn't aware St. Francis owns the ground. I hope they keep that old building and do something with it. It's pretty neat and I really dig old architecture like that!

mtbr member
    Rode Dornwood yesterday with Expo on a late notice. He took me on a tour. Great ride. I busted my butt alot but had a good time!

Link to the ride.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Dornwood Ryno & Expo near Topeka | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Outstanding. Looks like quite a workout.

Spent my down time ordering some knobbys for the crosstrail. I figure if I can get them on over the weekend, I'll take it out to LRT Monday. Heavier than the StumpJumper and a hardtail to boot but figure if I can get it going, will probably mean a fast ride. Thinking that SJ may be light on the rear end, making it bounce. Might have to try some adjusting.

Would like to get out to the mansion Sunday, sure going to try.

mtbr member
    .Duplicated last post.
    Last edited by slakjak; 12-14-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: duplicate

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hit the Gov's for a short ride w/ my Jr. High Social Studies teacher/Jr. High basketball coach. Trail was in great shape, hardly anyone in the park. Saw my basketball coach from grade school. Some of my favorite people doing some of my favorite things at one of my favorite places to do it. Teach has plans to ride Landon tomorrow if it gets too rainy to ride trails. I think I'm in.

"Someone" is upgrading their bike.....

mtbr member
    He he he! I know nothing

mtbr member
    I made us a Topeka Local MTBR group on Strava | Running and Cycling GPS Tracker, Performance Analytics, Maps, Clubs and Competition if anyone wants to join it.

Topeka MTBR

That way we can keep track of each others rides and or create challenges.
    Last edited by rynoman03; 12-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hit the Landon on Saturday. Other riding buddy rode the Govs - said it was dry except for leaves! Man, I might hit that if the temp doesn't drop too much. Supposed to be warme enough for me to ride this week. Gets cold when I don't have to work for 10 days! Of course.

mtbr member
    Supposed to be decent on Tues and cold the rest of the week from what I saw last night. Possibility of snow on Wed. If that's the case I'll bundle up and ride! I gotta see what it's like to ride in the snow!

mtbr member
    Had to cancel out Sunday on the Gov's place. Was bummed about that.

Got out to LRT this am with the crosstrail and the new knobby tires. Was supposed to take it easy but ended up pressing it a bit (even passed two other riders). Once I got used to the gearing, went pretty good. Tires worked great. Could sure feel the weight difference and the StumpJumper is more comfortable on the trails but the crosstrail did a great job. I do need to take it in to Capp's for some adjustments. I did have some gear slippage but they said that would happen with the new cables stretching and to bring it in when its got some miles on it.

I did miss those sand pits (thanks expost!).

Well, back to the dr. tomorrow. Hopefully he will let me go or put me down. Can't really plan until after that. Was sort of thinking of Perry Christmas Eve if the weather holds up. Otherwise will be back at LRT Monday. Mansion for Sunday I hope. I'd like to slip in a Dornwood before that but will see what they say tomorrow.

How far did you go on Landon expost?

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast