• 12-06-2012
    FireCop
    slakjak:

Did you use to ride the Governor's/ Menninger Trails before that area became a state park? If so, you probably remember the far west side of both areas. There was a steep uphill climb that went to a great overlook spot. The trail was perched right along side a U-shaped cliff. It is northwest of the WIBW antenna tower. There was a magnificent spot on the trail, above the cliff, that overlooked the sand plant and Kansas River valley. You could see clear over to Rossville from the area I am referencing.

That area is privately owned, and now has no trespassing signs adjacent to the state park trails. That west end was the best part of the trails. It would be awesome to own that west end and keep it accessable as a mountain bike area. I know who owns it, and they would never part with it.
  • 12-07-2012
    slakjak
    Expost - Monday for LRT won't be that early. Couldn't leave Topeka until 9 or so. Will have to see what the sun does that day. We vampires must take care.

After watching that video in the new comers area, that really helped me on the brakes. I think the guy called it "confidence braking" when you are laying on the brakes all the time. That video helped me out of it. Until I actually started practicing, I was scared of the front brake. Now I realize I can go over the handlebars without any brake help at all!

FireCop, yep, know what you are talking about. Never biked there but ran and walked there all the time. Ever since those punks tore up the old clock building, they keep a pretty good eye on that area. I thought only crazy people biked the mansion trails until I got hooked this year.

Good score Ryno!

I'll be at the mansion early Sunday am trains/weather permitting. If it is wet at all, will stay on the east side. Took me an hour to clean the bike off after last Sunday.

See everyone around. Ignore the weather forecasts, they are changing them every few minutes.
  • 12-07-2012
    IDkid
    Still hitting the mansion tomorrow if anyone is interested. It will be my first time there so I'm pretty stoked to see a new trail. Instead of Perry afterwards thinking Dornwood now since I've never been there either.
  • 12-07-2012
    slakjak
    Would love to take you up on that IDkid but I sleep all day on Saturdays. You will enjoy both.
  • 12-07-2012
    expostdelirium
    Gov's then The Wood is much more sensible. If you go to the Mansion THEN to Perry...I don't know, but I know it's not something I'd want to do. Not in that fashion. Still trying to decide what to ride. Ryno, text me, when you get around, and I'll do the same. Maybe we can drag out to either place or both. If my back doesn't cool out, I might be on the Landon.
  • 12-07-2012
    IDkid
    Hope to see you guys there!
  • 12-07-2012
    rynoman03
    Ok sounds good. What time are you guys shooting for?
  • 12-08-2012
    IDkid
    I'll be there around 10:30.
  • 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Sounds good so expo wants to run Dornwood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • 12-08-2012
    IDkid
    I'm game for either or both.
  • 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Its about 30* right now hopefully it warms up. So Dornwood at 10:30 ?

• 12-08-2012
    IDkid
    Sure. Do you park by the baseball fields?
  • 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Yes Sir! I'll be in a black grand prix.

• 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Wow just stepped outside to let the dog out. It's cold as crap out! I'm not sure I want to freeze this morning!

Hourly Weather Forecast for 66614 - weather.com
  • 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Ok on myway

• 12-08-2012
    rynoman03
    Thanks for riding with me IDkid, and putting up with my slowness and inexperience to boot! I hope you enjoyed yourself and I hope you enjoyed the Mansion!

That Dornwood really tested my abilities. Fun though!
  • 12-08-2012
    IDkid
    Had a good time. Hope to ride with you again some time ryno. I rode the hell out of the mansion trails after Dornwood. Definitely my new favorite place to ride in Kansas! Did a couple laps on both the red and blue trails. I wish I'd known about that place this summer. I would have been there every weekend!!
  • 12-08-2012
    expostdelirium
    Glad *someone* went out there. Too cold when I woke up, and my back is starting to feel better. Maybe I'll be able to get on the bike just in time for the mid-week warmup!!
  • 12-09-2012
    slakjak
    Too wet for the mansion this morning. Will turn in and see what it looks like when I wake up.

Glad you liked the mansion ID. Watch out for them jaywalking trees.

Hope the back gets better quick expost.

When I went to the basement to check on the trail bike last night before heading off to "work", found I had a flat rear tire. Valve had separated from the tube. Accused the wife of roof jumping but she denies it of course. Quick trip to Wallyworld and all ready for this morning but the weather just didn't go my way. Sun or not, I am going to put on a 1/2 inch of sunscreen and head over to LRT Monday morning. Going to be cold I see.

Good night
  • 12-09-2012
    rynoman03
    Cool! Let us know what you think of it!
  • 12-09-2012
    motoolfan
    Just read this thread, I'll have to check these trails out this spring. Sounds like a blast!
  • 12-09-2012
    rynoman03
    I had no idea these trails existed until a month or so ago when I joined this forum. They are fun! Governor's Mansion or Menigers as MTBR trails section calls it is well worth the trip! Dornwood is equally as fun!
  • 12-09-2012
    motoolfan
    I'm a couple hours away, so it would have to be a day trip for me. The mtbing community s virtually non existent around here
  • 12-09-2012
    slakjak
    Got up, nice looking day now, so packed up and went to the Mansion. Governor was nice enough to set up a huge tent with stage and six porta pottys for me so I do appreciate it but the tent was a bit too much.

Cold. Lots of hikers, but all nice folks. Technically I was pleased but my stamina was lacking but supposed to be taking it easy until at least Wednesday at least so I'll blame it on that. Still going to try to get to Lawrence in the am. That may be it for me for the rest of the week.

Welcome motoofan. Where are you located at?
  • 12-09-2012
    rynoman03
    Cool Deal Jak! His profile says he's in Sedalia, MO.