Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Were you on Landon this morning?

mtbr member
    Last thing I expected to do today was to have a 52 mile bike ride. And, Eureka, I did find the trail. Now I am confused about a different location. But first:

ryno - it was a pleasure to meet and ride with you. Hope to do a lot more.
    MajorMavrick - welcome, looks like quite the group assembling.

At 89th, go left (east) to Ratner Rd. Take a right (south) At the bottom of the hill, the entrance will be to your left. There is a large tree that has fallen across the trail. I passed by there in the pickup at least twice and didn't see it.

From there it is pretty rough going. Lots of places with deep ballast that riding is impossible. The concrete on the bridges looks pretty fresh so I know that they are working on it. You ride in the middle of nowhere for quite some time with no place to bail and then you finally get to Shawnee Heights Road and everything ends. I couldn't find rail bed on the other side of the road so I don't know if I missed something or that is where it ends. I was too tired at that point to do any investigating.

At Shawnee Heights, take a left (south) end up in Overbrook. Take a right (north), easy way back to civilization, or at least the more established trails. I goofed, I went left, was introduced to Puke Hill. It is appropriately named and even is painted on the road showing you where to puke. Went to Overbrook with the intention of heading west to old 75 and riding the wind back to Topeka. Ryno can tell you that we fought a hard southerly wind while we were riding. I also told him that I thought I would get caught in the wind shift and have to ride against it on the way back. That's what happened. It started shifting in Overbrook so after a diet Dr Pepper and small bag of peanut M&M's, headed back north on Shawnee Heights that turned into Shadden that ran into 89. West on 89th back to the trail. Missed the trail, ran into some thorn bushes. Legs and fingers where the half gloves didn't cover were pretty scratched up. Got back to Topeka and to my Grandson's school with 5 minutes to spare.

Lessons learned.

Take the GSC10 bike sensor off. Useless when it gets rough and it gets moved around and out of sync. Shouldn't be concerned with pace on the trails anyway.

Love my new bike. I couldn't have made that ride with anything else, even with the StumpJumper, although it would have been nice in a couple of places.

I bit off more that I could chew. I'm beat. I'm glad I did it and I'm glad that I made it, but I wished I would have heading north at Shawnee Heights and skipped the M&M's. I did bring some dried apples with me too and finished them off on the way back.

Here's the data. Note the 1600 calories burned and the elevation changes

Landon Trail Ride by mjanway at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Me? Na, I was south of 53rd around 3 on Sunday.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Wow i can't believe you rode that far! Today was a good day to do it other than the stupid wind! I bet you are beat. I only rode 21.5 today and I'm beat!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday

I've got the day off Tuesday. Who wants to ride and where? Hit me up!

mtbr member
    I'll be riding Landon in the morning. Probably around 830ish maybe earlier if i can get my butt up and out on the Trail. I cut getting to work pretty close today when I left the house at 9. I made it to work in time but I had to rush to be there at 12. 30 minute drives to work suck!

Welcome Steve!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    slak:

Wow, 52 miles is pretty darned impressive. Especially in the areas where the ballast rock on the trail is rather loose. That makes for a heck of alot of resistance. Good Job. man

mtbr member
    Hey Steve, wish I could but stuck at work.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Thanks FireCop. 'Twas a workout for sure. Those trails at the Gov and Dornwood might seem more manageable for a bit. Next challenge will be Perry.

Welcome Steve. I got Doctors all day.

mtbr member
    Good luck with those Dr's Visits.

I rode from 29th and Gage on Shunga to Landon then south to 25th and came back. It was a good ride but my toes and hands were a little bit numb and colder than I like. 21mi yesterday and 10 today. Not a bad way to start off a week I'd say.

mtbr member
    Anyone want to meet up and ride at the mansion or Perry this weekend? Saturday looks like it will be a bit warmer, but hell, they're BOTH warm considering the time of year.

mtbr member
    I will have to see what's goin' on but I might be down for the Mansion. I've never been to either set of trails.
    Last edited by rynoman03; 12-04-2012 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Tuesday Group Ride

So it turns out there is a Tuesday group ride at Dornwood at 4 pm. Two separate groups of four people out there riding today!

mtbr member
    Cool. Too bad I work 12-10:30 Sun-Wed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I used to ride w/ the "early" group, and would've likely been out there today, but had to go w/ the Mrs. to get a car. 4 is really a "small" group. We've had 9ish out there a couple of times that I've been out there. I think the LBS group goes out after they close the shop on Tues. Lots of skill in both groups. I don't know about the second group, but when the first group is big, there are lots of people that are more than willing to show you the way around.

The Trail Mgr cut some new trails in during the last week or 2 (def after Thanksgiving), and I haven't even gotten to ride them yet. I was looking forward to it today, but a new Fiat was in the cards, so maybe tomorrow if it's not too cold?

mtbr member
    Cool! You get the Fiat 500 Abarth? or just the regular Fiat 500?

mtbr member
    Who's all riding tomorrow? I plan to ride maybe around noon time. Not sure what route yet or where. I have tomorrow - sat off so I would like to ride all of those days.

mtbr member
    I'll go ahead and commit to riding at the mansion on Saturday if anyone wants to join. I'll be there at 10:30. Black Nissan Xterra. Might hit up Perry afterwards.

mtbr member
    Cool! I have yet to ride that park.

mtbr member
    Mansion as usual for Sunday a.m. But no strenuous exercise or sunlight after that until at least Wednesday so that lets out the Mansion, Dornwood, and Perry for Monday. That leaves me with Shunga or the tame part of Landon if it's cloudy.

Is LRT all mountain bike or will a crossover do ok there? How about those trails at the Museum? Those are pretty tame, bicycles allowed there?

Kansas looked flat until I hopped on a bicycle.

mtbr member
    Well I hope you can get on that bike soon enough Jak.

Well I took it upon myself to try out the Gov. Mansion today. Wow what a treat! Lots of technical stuff! I rode through a huge tree, between trees, over trees, ect. It really pushed my abilities and I probably used my brakes way more than needed. I rode a few miles over 4 miles in 45 mins but there's alot of hills to climb and maneuver through there.

I used Strava and Endomondo and actually beat someones time. I'm ranked 6 out of 7 on Brown Trail or something like that lol.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Gov. Mansion 1 near Topeka | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    The mansion trails will teach you brake discipline. It's a whole different experience when the leaves are on the trees and you can't see the whole hill side and the corners are blind. I really enjoy it there, running, biking, or just walking.

mtbr member
    Oh I'm sure!

I picked up a set of Clipless Bontragger MTB shoes tonight at Capps for $45.00. Then went and finished up my xmas shopping for the wife. I even got my Jack Russell Terrier "Tucker" something this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    That's funny about "brake discipline: I was just telling Ryno something very similar this afternoon. My brake discipline was much more stringent last Sunday that it was the day before. LRT is fine for XC bikes. I've seen allllll sorts of bikes being ridden on that trail over the years. It's a very forgiving trail. There are roots in some places, no doubt, but I doubt they'd wreck your rims. If you are the least bit concerned take some heavier weaponry out there.

IDK, if I'm out of the rack and feeling like riding that "early" I might try to find you out there. I might go to Dornwood instead. Depending on time, there's a thought that I might go to LRT.

mtbr member
    LRT? What trail is this? Lawrence River Trail ?

I think I might hit up the governors again. That was pretty fun! Gotta see what time i get up. I have to go to Holton tomorrow as well to work on my Grandmother's pc.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast