Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17
    mtbr member

Marysville trail

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5

In the newspaper Sunday. Had trouble getting the article.

Pretty wet. Looking around for somewhere to ride Friday. Want to ride Shawnee Mission Park Mountain Bike Trails but don't know if they will be dry. Everything south is wet. Everything around here is wet. Might just suck it up and ride Landon again. It's no longer blocked at 37th.

If it don't rain, off to Johnson County.

Haven't been able to sign on to forums for about 4 days. Had to come in through the site and reload everything.
    Last edited by slakjak; 08-07-2013 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Add information
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    My unlce who lives in Marysville rides a crosstrail and was telling me about this trail and how he enjoys riding it. Funny thing is I had no idea he rode bikes.

mtbr member
    Unsure about weather and trail conditions, so rode Landon.

From 77th to Paulen, relatively new pea gravel. From Paulen to Tecumseh, pea gravel is piled on the trail make transit nearly impossible. Recommend following trail using 85th to Tecumseh and then hooking back up on trail.

The barrier across the trail at 89th was gone but still has a no trespassing sign on it so I respected that. Looking down the trail, it is obvious work is being done so progress looks like it is well on the way southward.

Funny, but the roughest portion of the whole trail is that 1/3 or 1/2 mile south of 45th to that private driveway. Hard to get a good run on it going south from 45th, but going back north I built up speed from 53rd pedaled as hard as I could and held on to 45th. Lot of fun but if someone picks up my teeth, I will trade for them back with a screwdriver I found on the trail today.

If Landon was any gauge of trail condition, trails will be soft with muddy spots. Everything should be ok for the weekend.

Maybe Johnson County Monday.
    Last edited by slakjak; 08-09-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Correction
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slakjak View Post
    Unsure about weather and trail conditions, so rode Landon.

From 77th to Paulen, relatively new pea gravel. From Paulen to Tecumseh, pea gravel is piled on the trail make transit nearly impossible. Recommend following trail using 85th to Tecumseh and then hooking back up on trail.

The barrier across the trail at 89th was gone but still has a no trespassing sign on it so I respected that. Looking down the trail, it is obvious work is being done so progress looks like it is well on the way southward.

Funny, but the roughest portion of the whole trail is that 1/3 or 1/2 mile south of 45th to that private driveway. Hard to get a good run on it going south from 45th, but going back north I built up speed from 53rd pedaled as hard as I could and held on to 45th. Lot of fun but if someone picks up my teeth, I will trade for them back with a screwdriver I found on the trail today.

If Landon was any gauge of trail condition, trails will be soft with muddy spots. Everything should be ok for the weekend.

Maybe Johnson County Monday.

Last time I emailed Kansas Rails to Trails they acted like 89th south should be open by this fall. 53rd to 45th is easier to come back on due to you going downhill as well

The local MTB group of folks I've been riding with are planning to ride Dornwood at 9am unless its too wet then we are going to Tecumseh park and riding the road. Unsure what's to happen on that yet, kind of dependent on how wet the trails are.

SJack I will try to get my arse out of bed this Monday and ride with you for sure. I need to get some miles logged!

mtbr member

New section open now on the Landon

Got a nice surprise today. They opened up the trail south of 89th now. You can go about a mile and a half or up to and over the 4th bridge you encounter past 89th. (All have railings) The trail is somewhat ballasty and/or grassy but ride-able on a mountain bike.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I will be hitting it again as the basement project is almost completely done. I'll keep an eye out here to see Whois doing what.

I DID get to ride a little bit of that first snow. This second one was too cold to ride.

I look forward to riding again. Ryno get ahold of me at some point.

mtbr member
    Tuesday Night Urban Ride CX Style by rynoman03 at Garmin Connect - Details

It was 37 when i started then who knows when I got home. My arse was an icicle. I thought since it was above freezing I would get by with just leg warmers. Torso and legs were great. Arse was cold. I think it's still warming up. My wife thought I had a baboon butt. I still got almost 12 mi in and rode my CX bike in ice, snow, and road. It's currently de-thawing in the garage.

Name:  IMG_20140107_194641.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  54.9 KB

mtbr member
    Respiratory virus has had me knocked out since after Christmas. Still feeling like it will still be a week or two before I'm out again. Did get a chance to try all my bikes out in the snow going to and from work. I've decided that I really don't care to ride in snow but it beats driving a 2 wheel drive pickup in it.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    That sucks Jack,

I've rode all of my bikes except my 26 this snow season. I guess next snow i'll have to take her out so she doesn't think I'm cheating on her. I've been giving my 29'er and 700c way more attention than the 26 lately. I don't know about you guys but i'm ready to shred some dirt. I was really seeing my skills improve to where I could keep up with locals and friends and not slow them down. Heck when I was at Swope I was hauling the arse in switchbacks and loving it! I had a friend of mine tailing me on his SS 29'er and he told me he couldn't believe how much i'd improved since the last time he rode with me. That's nice to hear!

Friend of mine is doing a gravel grinder in Feb. pm me or email me if you want details going to be a 30 and 60mi route starting at 53rd on the Landon Trail.

mtbr member
    How far can you ride on the Landon now? It's been awhile since i've seen how far I can go.

mtbr member
    Wow, it has been a while. You know they have been working on it. Hopefully a couple more miles have been added. Wife just threatened the grandsons that if they don't quit acting up, that she is going to let me have the whole day Monday to bike instead of taking them to Rolling Hills Zoo. The odds are in my favor for answering your question on Monday.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Haha!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Topeka Capital Journal has an article about a ribbon cutting ceremony at the bridge just south of 45th street on the Landon Trail celebrating the new improved section there. They got limestone screening there for a 3/4 mile section that use to be ballast and rocks. The ribbon cutting will be a 10:15 this Saturday. Also a 10 mile ride starting at the Brown v. Board building at 9:30 and a 22 mile ride starting at the same time there I guess.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Cool. If it ever dries up I might go check it out. My main MTB is down due to snapping the derailleur hanger. I've gotta go to Capp's and get a new chain too. I didn't realize I had two quick links in that chain.

I think my Sette' will be going up for sale soon.

mtbr member
    You've snapped that thing before. I might head that way Sunday. Will be able to really pick up some speed heading back north on that smooth stuff.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Ya. I might convert my Single Speed to a geared bike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Rode the Landon twice this week. Pretty nice where they have taken out that ballast rock. Landon is still a lot of pedaling though. It could use a little elevation

mtbr member
    Them old coal trains didn't like any elevation. The new ones don't either.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17