Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireCop View Post
    You are exactly right on that. You have to drive especially defensively in this town even in a car. You're definitely at the bottom of the food chain when on a bike, on the streets!
    My closest calls all have one thing in common; driver using a phone.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Lawrence River Trail was outstanding today. Trails were great and weather was perfect. Did three laps and would have done more but was getting afraid wife would get my picture put on a milk carton if I didn't get back home. Made up for a couple of not so great rides I've had lately.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slakjak View Post
    Lawrence River Trail was outstanding today. Trails were great and weather was perfect. Did three laps and would have done more but was getting afraid wife would get my picture put on a milk carton if I didn't get back home. Made up for a couple of not so great rides I've had lately.
    Awesome! I always want to do 3 loops but by the end of 2 I'm usually tired.

mtbr member
    I was starting to feel it during the last two miles of the 3rd time around. If I would have brought some lunch with me, I think I could have eaten and rode 3 more. The conditions were ideal.

Close call with a SUV this a.m. He ran a stop sign right in front of me. Only two people on the road at 5:30 a.m. and we almost collide.

Think I will pull up some rail across the highway and make my own rails to trails to work. I'll leave UP and BNSF a note telling them what I am doing. They got plenty of track, wouldn't think they would miss it.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    I signaled yesterday while riding with my wife and a car still passed me and almost hit me while i was turning onto a residential road. Jana yelled at me otherwise I would have kept on going. Guy never looked back and just kept going. Frickin' A hole!

It's sooo nice out this morning I'd love to go ride LRT! I'll probably be beat when I get home though. I got a new SRAM x7 derailleur in route right now. When I get the 26'er back in commission I'm going to the mansion.

Also I got 2 pairs of CrankBrothers Candy1 pedals for free that arrived yesterday complete with cleats. Itching to try those out. Anything Crank Bros. is well made!

mtbr member
    I need to get the StumpJumper over to the Residence to test repairs on it out. I don't think jumping up and down while riding on the brick streets of Potwin is the same thing. At least I entertained the upper middle class of Topeka for a bit.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Hopefully the loctite trick helps that pesky bolt!

mtbr member
    Bicycle articles from the paper today:

Boy suffers minor injuries after bike collides with car | CJOnline.com

Bike Across Kansas starts 500-mile trek Saturday | CJOnline.com

And a mountain bike repair book I have said that bolt should have loctite on it in the first place so you probably hit it right on....thanks
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Glad my idea is helping! Go test that thing out !

mtbr member
    Planning to ride this morning SlakJak. I'll txt ya around 7 or 8ish.

Also a nice article about the Dirty Kanza.
    Ride Report: Swallowing the Dirty Kanza Half Pint | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    Planning to ride this morning SlakJak. I'll txt ya around 7 or 8ish.[/url]
    Won't be able to go until 8:30 or 9 due to morning chores. Will see you out there.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    See ya at the Shunga / Landon Circle closer to 9 then?

mtbr member

More money for bikes

Was trying to link an article from Tuesday's paper but the link shows the whole darn paper. Basically, we got 1.2 million for the bikeways project. (street stuff). Will try to get the link in later.
    Last edited by slakjak; 06-13-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Link didn't work
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Here we go

City awarded $1.4 million bikeways grant | CJOnline.com

I was off by .2 million
    Last edited by slakjak; 06-13-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Cool thanks for linking! I don't get the paper and rarely see the articles pertaining to biking unless someone points them out.

mtbr member
    Clinton Lake blue trail today. Easier than Perry. One end-over and one flat tire but still a gas. Very hot out there though. Thanks Tim if you are out there somewhere for steering me on the right trail.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slakjak View Post
    Clinton Lake blue trail today. Easier than Perry. One end-over and one flat tire but still a gas. Very hot out there though. Thanks Tim if you are out there somewhere for steering me on the right trail.
    End over's are not fun! I did this last week at Dornwood and bent my front wheel beyond repair. Rode LRT with 2 other guys today from Topeka. Just got talking to them in the Parking Lot and kinda hit it off. We had a lot of fun. Didn't plan on riding with them but kinda stuck around them it was fun! Got one guys name and number and plan on riding Dornwood tomorrow with him.

mtbr member
    Interesting article:

County to pay $70,000 in cyclist's lawsuit | CJOnline.com

If this hill was covered by dirt on a trail, it would be a bit of a challenge but nothing out of the norm for a mountain biker. But on this cemented multi-use trail around a lake, it is indeed out of place. I really couldn't ever see a wheel chair or a electric scooter navigating it and probably would be impossible for a lot of elderly going up or down it. Couldn't imagine a kid on training wheels or a tricycle hurtling down it. I imagine it was avoided by quite a few folk out at the lake.

I almost stalled on the Beast going up it one morning. That would have been quite the picture going backwards down the hill on a 50 lb bike. Probably would have run over rynoman which was right behind me.

Haven't seen the new signs yet, will have to go take a look.
    Last edited by slakjak; 07-12-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Wow! I'm sorry but i'm not going to dismount for that hill. It's a beast for sure and it's steep but come on people they put brakes on a bike for a reason. I'm curious to see these signs too. Snap a pick will ya SlakJak?

Hopefully I can get out and ride with ya this week. Been awhile. Rode with Expo once last week, that was a nice change!

mtbr member
    Agent is on vacation for the next week or so. I have to "work" for the next 9 or 10 nights so I won't be getting out except back and forth to work this next week. Get to listen to the Fiesta Music on my ride into work at least this weekend.

Think my next trail will be up in Atchison.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Aww that stinks! My Friday begins in 5 hours.

I was hoping Jerry's would have my replacement brake in by now. I'm trying a Shimano as a replacement for one of my Hayes Nines. Time will tell if that was a good idea or not. The Hayes needed a new brake line and pads. Jerry's couldn't get the part and didn't really want to bleed it \ replace it.

They suggested to try a new brake as a more fee-sable option. Bad thing is I'm going to pay 70 bux for a brake I can buy online for $45.00 wish I knew this before I ordered it.

If I don't' like it I'll either find parts to fix the old brake or buy a new set.

Thinking of buying \ building a bike for the wife for her Birthday in September. I think she'd enjoy riding. She's went on 3 rides with me so far this summer and has enjoyed them all. She's not opposed to having her own bike she just doesn't like amount of money that it takes to get a nice one.

mtbr member
    Yeah, doesn't seem I'm getting out as often as I wanted to this summer. Oh well, a week off the trails might be a good thing as I am still on the mend from my flip at Clinton Monday.

The bike maintenance book I have says each make of brake is different and to make sure to keep the instructions that come with each so parts might be hard to come by. That is quite a price difference.

I would keep an eye out on CL and the used bike rack at Capp's. They always have nice bikes there that tempt me everytime I go there. The money is certainly an issue but a decent bike is one that you will want to ride all the time and doesn't end up hanging in the basement.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Ya I keep seeing nicer and nicer used bikes at Capps. Saw a cross trail like yours the other day. I'll find her something if she wants it. Her mom's K-Mart special Schwinn sucks six way sideways. Things bottom bracket / cranks make a terrible knock on each pedal stroke. Sad thing is the bike has only been rode 5 times and 3 of those times was my wife riding it.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding Governor's or Perry this weekend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IDkid View Post
    Anyone riding Governor's or Perry this weekend?
    I plan to ride Dornwood this Sun at 9am with some locals as long as it's dried up. It's pretty wet over here at the moment and only more rain to come it seems.

I've yet to ride Perry.

You otta look into the Cruise the Blues ride on Aug 24th out near Tipton KS.

2013 Cruise the Blues

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast