Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I sure wouldn't want to be clipped in on the inbound leg for sure.

I miss the sand most of the time now but every once in a while still take a wrong turn. The sand is kinder to 29's than it is to 26's though.

It is pretty cool how fast you can get going there.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Rode Dornwood on the SS this morning. While some hills / climbs proved troublesome and were impossible for my current gearing I still had fun! Rode 3.6ish miles in 39min. I have to admit those 29'ers are fun on the trails! I think the Gov's would kill me and i'd have to push my bike alot with my current gearing of 36t x 18t 2:1. Thinking of going back to Lawrence in the morning depending on what all I need to do to get ready for my weekend trip.

mtbr member
    Just got back from running the Mansion trails with the older daughter. Trails in great shape. Trees all filling back in. Spiders not building webs across trails yet but did eat quite a few bugs. All in all a lot better than breaking up drug deals on the Shunga on our Wednesday night runs.

I'm thinking Perry on Friday.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Have fun i'll be out of town. I sure hope I can ride LRT in the morning or ride somewhere. We'll see what the morning brings.

mtbr member
    Spent the day at Lake Perry today. It kicked by butt. Now I know what the good Lord did with all the extra rocks He had left over.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Almost forgot. Another front page article in the Topeka Capital Journal today about bicycling. Haven't read it yet. Seems bikes are staying in the news around here.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Cool on riding Lake Perry. I rode LRT again Thurs morning before departing for the weekend to visit my fam. Took the 26" with me to ride while I'm down here.

Email me that link to the article on CJ Online if you can. Only one I found for yesterday was about a 26 yo getting hit on Fairlawn.

mtbr member
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Went back out to Lake Perry today to finish up the trails. Only had the inside ones left and they were much kinder to me. Took the StumpJumper 26er out there this time and it was much better on the rocks than the 29er. I would have figured the other way around.

Ran the Governor's trails last night, trails in great shape although the Gov needs to trim a few bushes in the trails back.

In both locations, ticks are out. Take precautions.

Going to ride Cimmaron and Quivera next week. Maybe Lake Wilson if time and weather allows.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member

Re: Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS

If you are game for LRT in the morning let me know. Or any riding for that mater. My hrs are changing next wed. Prob won't be able to ride with you as much now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Wouldn't be able to do it in the morning. Grandson's last day at school. Got to walk him there at 8:15 and pick him up at 11:30.

Oh well, we will figure sometime out. Schools out now so I won't have to worry about taking or picking the grandsons to and from school.

I did take the Beast out for a 15 mile romp on Tuesday. Had a guy on a Cannondale want to trade me straight across for it. Told him he could buy 4 or 5 Beasts for what his bike costs. Still pretty rare around here I guess.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Rode some of the Cimarron National Grassland Turkey Trail today. Poorly marked. Way too sandy. Walked as much as rode. 2 flat tires. Bailed out at the halfway point and rode a dirt/sand/gravel road back. The headwind back was about a steady 30 and I kept having to stop and let dust devils go over me. Stampeded two herd of cattle. Acted like they had either never seen a human or a bicycle.

Got to get the Redline a decent ride. Perry and then Cimarron. Have to take it to Lawrence and let it have some fun.

West Kansas is hurting for moisture bad. No wet in the wetlands and no grass in the grasslands.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Wow 2 flats eh?!?! I need to buy me a multi-tool with a chain-breaker and a co2 filler it sounds or a frame pump. I've been pretty fortunate haven't had a blowout or flats.

At least you got some riding in. I started nights again last night and I felt like i was gonna fall asleep all the way home. At least your nights are in town. I'm already turning into a grumpy bear!

Rode 12 days straight though. Try to do at least a mile a day.

I'd love to get back out to LRT and ride!

This crazy rain we've been getting has made my roof start to leak I've been trying to trace that down and that will make a man go mad!

Also you see those dumb dumb co commissioners voted 2-1 down on the KTA bridge to add the sidewalk over the turnpike?!?! Stupid idiots!

mtbr member
    Always take a multi-tool, a chain tool if the multi-tool doesn't have one, a power link for the regular chains or a replacement rivet for the Shimano chain, extra tube, tube patching material, tire levers, pump, first aid kit, and one of my old GPS units when I am going into strange territory. That way I can mark my spot to make sure I get back to it. I've used everything except for the chain repair stuff so far.

Didn't get to do all the riding I wanted to out there. Had high wind warnings about the whole time. Hard to ride in 40-50 mph sustained winds.

Since I ride the bike back and forth to work, have no problem keeping awake. Plus the hour or so nap I get there while hard at "work" doesn't hurt either.

Roof leaks are never good, no matter what the cause.

The commissioners will reverse their decision the first time I have a head on with a Ford F-150 with my Beast and the truck gets totaled.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Here's the article talking about it. Lots of good and bad comments below the article as always.

Shawnee County rejects $561K KTA partnership | CJOnline.com

mtbr member
    LOL! I think no matter what the subject, you will get the same comments from the same people.

I do like the idea of some sort of private organization (non profit, etc) getting starting to help do some of these things. Money is tight and is going to remain tight for some time.

I have been thinking of continuing down 2nd, then up and over to Croco. Will have to see how the corn crop turns out on Wittenberg.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sure wish that bridge project would have went through. That would be awesome to have Lake Shawnee connected to the east end of the Shunga Trail without having to use any roads!

mtbr member
    I took that suggested route in the comments. 10th to Rice to Croco... That route is a PITA! Hill to climb, busy roads, and narrow sidewalks. I'd rather take Carnahan to 21st to Wittenburg. Way better route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireCop View Post
    Sure wish that bridge project would have went through. That would be awesome to have Lake Shawnee connected to the east end of the Shunga Trail without having to use any roads!
    Especially at the rate they are mowing bikers down on the streets here. Another one in the past couple of days.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    I took that suggested route in the comments. 10th to Rice to Croco... That route is a PITA! Hill to climb, busy roads, and narrow sidewalks. I'd rather take Carnahan to 21st to Wittenburg. Way better route!
    I guess the only bad part of the route is the actual bridge over the Turnpike on Wittenburg. I've only done it during the cold months though. Don't know how it would be during the summer with Lake partiers out and about.

I might try going down 2nd to Croco. At least the eastbound leg wouldn't be too busy.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slakjak View Post
    Especially at the rate they are mowing bikers down on the streets here. Another one in the past couple of days.
    No kidding I got yelled at twice while on the sidewalk riding to and from the YMCA. Stupid HS kids thinking they are funny trying to scare me or poke fun at me!

I rode that route on my Single Speed MTB so that 10th street hill sucked that much more.

I can't imagine 2nd being that much better. You gotta ride by the Womens Prison still and Croco is just plain busy! People don't look out for you and snub you if you ride the sidewalk, at least that's how it was for me earlier this week!

On another note...
    Got a new chain, speedlink, and got a derailleur on the way so hope to have my 26er back in business by Mon-Tues. I'm missing my gears!

Slackjack we need to ride again soon! Road or trails...I don't care! Maybe Monday morning. I'd have to ride my Single Speed though so it would be a slower ride but I can still get a good clip going on that bike if we do our Tour De Topeka route.

mtbr member
    Slackjack we need to ride again soon! Road or trails...I don't care! Maybe Monday morning. I'd have to ride my Single Speed though so it would be a slower ride but I can still get a good clip going on that bike if we do our Tour De Topeka route.
    I will release the Beast and single speed with you. Of course my single speed may be slower than your single speed!

A breakout from the women's correctional facility while I am riding by may not be a bad thing!
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    I will release the Beast and single speed with you. Of course my single speed may be slower than your single speed!

A breakout from the women's correctional facility while I am riding by may not be a bad thing!
    Nice! I've rode the tour de topeka route of yours a few times on the SS. It's not bad. I rode it over the weekend.

But either way I hope to ride with ya soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    You are exactly right on that. You have to drive especially defensively in this town even in a car. You're definitely at the bottom of the food chain when on a bike, on the streets!

mtbr member
    Nice! I've rode the tour de topeka route of yours a few times on the SS. It's not bad. I rode it over the weekend.

But either way I hope to ride with ya soon.
    15 miles on the Beast is quite a workout. My legs certainly know I am riding it. Just let me know.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast