Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Who wants to ride on Sunday?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Will the trails (MacLennan Park or Lake Perry) be dry by Friday or Saturday?

mtbr member
    Suppose to rain Saturday again. I'm still biking/running on the hard stuff right now. Trails I have seen are still wet. Will try to get up to the Governor's place by Friday to check it out and let everyone know.

If things dry out and we miss the rain on Saturday, I'm sure up for a ride on softer stuff.

mtbr member
    Governor's place is very soft where there is dirt. Not quite mud but not quite dirt.

mtbr member

Couldn't help myself!

First kid in the neighborhood with one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-dscf0228.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ahhhhahaha! I was just telling Expo that WallyWorld is selling these now. Ok honest opinion. Hows it ride? Is it a heavy pig? Pedals got flex in em? How many tooth front and rear?

I've seen some nice upgrades done to them already. Some are talking about drilling out the wheels to make them lighter. Others are putting Origin 8 tires on them to make them lighter.

Here's a thread of people modding them already. Mongoose Beast modifications

Oh and here's a finished pic of my 29'er SS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-img_20130328_135104_898.jpg  

Last edited by rynoman03; 04-01-2013 at 04:46 PM.

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking bike. What's the final weight?

About 40 or 41 years ago, I had a BSA 650. Riding the Beast reminds me of riding that BSA for some reason. (at least the Beast doesn't leak a quart of oil every 100 miles)

It's heavy and really feels strange riding it. I'm going to keep it stock for now. It's just a neat thing to ride around.

Someday I hope to get a real fat bike. Maybe things like this will bring their prices down.

mtbr member
    The Haro, it's a pretty even 30lbs before I put the front brake on. I can worry about lightening it up later. It's not much heavier than my 26'er with it at 28.4lbs.

mtbr member
    Anyone know why Landon Trail is closed at 37th? I rode down to get a good ride in and was halted by a big orange sign at 37th. I was tempted to go around it but I figured I better obey.

mtbr member
    Road construction at 45th. You can ride up to near 45th if you want to.

Watch out for the mugger with pepper spray. Stole a lady's purse near the trail underpass south of Buchannan at 21st. Sprayed her. If someone tries to stop you, just run them over.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Oh wow! I got a decent 20.9 mi ride in yesterday and just saw people on bikes.Rode shunga from my house then rode in the north side of Dornwood then took 25th back to Landon.

mtbr member
    I'm most likely riding at Perry on Sunday if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    If there is any chance it will be dry after the next 3 days, I will be there.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    I may try to hit Lawrence Fri if it's dry. Have fun on Sunday i'll be working!

mtbr member
    If you get out there and LRT is dry, please text me.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Will do!

mtbr member
    I emailed Kanza Rails To Trails about the status of the Landon Nature Trail. Here is the responses I got.

Hello,

I was curious when the construction was due to be complete on the 45th crossing and when the Trail will reopen from 37th again. I really enjoy riding it from where it connects at Shunga all the way to 89th and back on a nice day.

I was also curious if there has been any progress made on the trail from 89th on South and when that might be opening. The Landon Nature Trail is one of my favorite trails to ride in the Topeka area and I can't wait to explore it in it's entirety.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Shawnee County Parks and Recreation is doing the trail from 37th to Sanneman Dr. as they lease that portion. I've heard they applied for a federal Transportation Enhancement grant to concrete that mile gap from 45th south.

The Conservancy has applied for two grants to finish the LNT in Shawnee County from 89th to the Osage County line. We should hear in June if we got those grants. Then construction can begin this fall.

So from what I gather it sounds like 89th St. South will not open until possibly this fall.

mtbr member
    Anyone rode LRT lately? I've been itching to get over there. I might try to get over there Thurs morning early if the rain holds out.

mtbr member
    Rode LRT this am. Went around twice, once took the sand loop (accidentally) but it worked out well with the 29er.

Trail is dry and in fantastic shape. They had a trail work day over last weekend. I wished I would have known about it sooner, I would have liked to help.

Ran into a fantastic guy that helped me center my front brake rotor. Been having a little trouble with it since replacing my front wheel. Now it's right on.

Can't wait to go again.

Still need to get out to Perry too. Sunday didn't work out for me at all.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Good to hear! I get off at 1030 tonight and should be home by 11. I could probably get out there by 8 if I wanted to. I've been waiting to ride the 29 SS on some more dirt. I rode the shunga dirt trails on it and it really handled them well! I just leave my fork locked most of the time. My front brake is singing too on the 29'er maybe he'll be there tomorrow. I'm gonna shoot to get there for sure though and maybe try to hit the YMCA afterwards for some strength training.

mtbr member
    Some good news I just read on CJOnline about making Topeka a safer biking city.

Topeka on road to being more bicycle-friendly | CJOnline.com.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it was on the front page this morning. Sounds encouraging.

The 29er SS will be perfect for LRT. I stayed in 3rd or 4th the majority of the trail and downshifted below that just a few times, mostly because I was lazy. I unlocked my shocks and a couple of roots made me glad I did. Tires worked great but I really missed those WTBs today.

And concerning your question on Strava; nope I don't think I could get the Beast around LRT. Probably would have to take the shell off the pickup to even get it out there. I don't think the coaster brake would be the way to go either.

I've taken the StumpJumper, the Crosstrail, and the 29er out there now. The 29er is by far the best way to get around LRT.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    I'm going to try to get out there as soon as I can. I have my alarm set for 6am to try to get out there by 7. However 8am might be a little better time. We'll see how I get things together when I get home. I'm definitely going to try to get out there though!

mtbr member

Mild mannered commuter or Bat Bike?

Fenders really changed the Crosstrail. Maybe with a black water bottle and a helmet, I can fight crime at night. Conversely I could put a picnic basket on the rack and pedal down to Sanneman Dr. when they get Landon sidewalked there from 45th. Still got the knobbys for it if duty calls.

Since I got fenders, going to retire the Santa Fe. Its seen good service and Kmart should be proud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-dscf0233.jpg  

d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Looks good! I put 2 laps in at Lawrence River Trails this morning. About 17mi total. I would have went 3 but I talked to one of the Maintenance guys for about 30 mins asking him how to avoid the sand traps. They are planning on putting plank paths all through that sandy area with some cool banked areas. The second time through I was a little more comfortable riding the trail and rode it a bit faster. That first technical area where the jump / mound is the 29'er SS caught some pretty good air! I'm talking a good foot or two. It kinda scared me, I didn't think I put that much speed into it. I didn't have enough guts to jump the big jump mound later on though. Man that trail is fun! I prefer to ride it via non clipped in.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast