mtbr member

Re: Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS

Pretty bike

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Soo who's all enjoying this snow?!?!

mtbr member
    The farmers and my grandsons.

Got the Huffy Santa Fe put back together so I could ride it to and from work last weekend. Pretty hairy riding but that's the only thing I got fenders on.

Maybe save up my money and get one of those fat bikes for next winter, or the one after that.

mtbr member
    Fat Bikes are cool! I'd love to have one!

mtbr member
    43.27 miles today in what I was going to call Le Tour de Topeka with Lake Shawnee added. But with a wrong turn and an extra 4 miles touring eastern Shawnee County, shall call it Le Tour de Shawnee County. Did all the paved trails I know. I know I have to work on my coming out of winter conditioning before I think about the century. My air and strength were good but my legs went to rubber at mile 35. Looked south as I was getting on Landon at 45th and noticed the unpaved Landon heading south was snow packed still. All the concrete was good, just wet from the melt.

Le Tour De Shawnee County by mjanway at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Cool! That's quite a ride you did. I've been going to the YMCA lately. I was thinking of riding there this morning but the sidewalks are still quite covered in snow on the way there.

Bday is on Wed. and Expo found me a cheap Steelie Haro Mary SS 29'er. Wifey approved too! Hopefully we can go pick that frame up Friday night. Then the build slowly begins. This frame you can run gears on it too if you so want to. I gotta find a derailleur hanger that will fit it though.

Gonna be a fun build and I'll have my first 29'er very soon!

mtbr member
    Well, Happy Birthday a little early. Sounds like a great present. I have to make myself ride my other bikes since I got the 29er. Really rather ride it than anything else. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

Sidewalks are in rough shape everywhere, especially at the corners where it got plowed up. Lot of melt today.

mtbr member
    Should turn out something similar to this give or take on what components I do ect.

Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-haro_mary_ss.jpg

mtbr member
    I like that.

mtbr member
    It's gonna be good. Expo and I are already scheming!

mtbr member
    Hey guys. Just checking in after being out of the loop for a couple months. Looks like no riding this weekend due to rain. :-( Who's up for hitting Perry and the mansion as much as possible this spring and summer?!

mtbr member
    Hello ID, count me in. I haven't rode Perry and am really looking forward to that. I try to keep tabs on the mansion for biking and running. Might give it a peek on the 17th depending on the weather. I need that place to tear my heart out and get back into shape.

mtbr member
    I will be as long as my fitness keeps improving. The Mansion just kicks my butt and I can't imagine that Perry is very kind either. I've still got to get my fork dialed in on my 26'er and I'm building that SS 29'er that might get turned into a geared bike.

Expo and I picked up that Frame, Tires, and a Chainring Friday. I've got other parts on order and he's hooking me up with some as well as soon as I pay him. Hope to be rockin' and rollin' on that 29'er soon.

mtbr member
    I'm voting for gears.

Newspaper article in today's Topeka Capital Journal about a bicycle polo league forming here in Topeka. Wife was ribbing me to join in on that. Riding a bicycle on a tennis court while swinging a stick while others are doing the same? I might as well do my running with my daughter while carrying scissors. I will have to go watch it though.

Cut my rear tire on my 29'er Friday. Ended up at Capp's with a hard decision. I had lower pressure tires on it but due to me riding it everywhere and on everything, I thought it might be best to re-tire it with regular pressure tires or facing buying a lot more tires than I cared to. Really going to miss that ride though. It was so soft that I had the front shocks locked out. It did start to bounce the back end if you got pedaling too hard. Might consider getting a set to switch over to in the winter next year though. Looking at building a fat bike in the near future looks bleak unless I win a lottery.

Was crawling around the old State Hospital Grounds Friday with the StumpJumper. Not much, but better than nothing. After I got back from that, took the 29'er out to try and find a noise on it when I cut the tire. If this weather breaks, will be out tomorrow doing another Tour de Topeka, hopefully without the detours or wrong turns. Got to get into shape for a century before it gets hot.

Good luck on the build. I'm thinking about checking the mansion trail next Monday.

mtbr member
    I rode 18.5 miles Friday.Took Shunga to Landon paved turned around and rode it back to Fairlawn then home.

Wasn't too bad. Expo has some 29'er tires he might sell ya or what not. He likes to try tires out. I got a used pair of 29er tires Friday for 28bux. Guys got alot more too. WTB, Schwab, ect... I'd go riding tomorrow with ya but 20* doesn't look too pleasant.

We need to ride again my friend. Maybe the weather will behave and we can ride a good 25miler or longer. I'm game on Thurs or Fri for anything if the weather holds out.

mtbr member
    Bought some new Kenda Giants. Would like to run into one or two cheap WTB 29x50/50's. Those are the ones I already miss but I'm afraid I would be running through those like hotcakes. Not sure how they would hold up at a Lake Wilson with thorns and whatnot.

I know it's going to be cold tomorrow but Monday is a good day for me. Got through with the downstairs bathroom remodel and now will be starting on the master bedroom. If I get a good start on that, maybe I can eek out another long ride Thursday or Friday. The weather then looks great it if holds. Maybe enough drying this week and the possibility of trails next week.

mtbr member
    Sounds good.

mtbr member
    38.36 miles. Way too cold. Surprised by some flurries and sleet also. Toes got so cold, almost bailed after 20 but luckily had packed a spare pair of lightweight gloves in case it started warming up on the ride and wanted to switch. Put them over the toes of my shoes. Looked funny but worked good enough to finish. New tires were great.

Tour De Topeka by mjanway at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    LOL! I used blue painters tape last time i went out when it was super cold and taped around the toes of my shoes. Worked for a windbreak!

Nice ride! Glad I went to the YMCA this morning. It was chilly!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Plastic grocery bags or baggies on the inside (cut to fit and wrapped around your feet) work the best for keeping feet warm and dry when riding cold Kansas days.

mtbr member
    ^^ Good idea!

mtbr member
    Rode the blue trail on the Mansion today then rode Dornwood with Expo. Fun time today. I was pretty fatigued from my workouts this week at the end. It wasn't bad at first but man I just couldn't hang with Expo today. Kinda irritating.

mtbr member
    Don't let it get you down. We're all coming out of winter. Just find your own pace. You will get faster and go further when the body says it's ready to step it up.

mtbr member
    I won't. I was pretty unsure on my lines yesterday. Braking slow, ect. I fell off the log bridge at Dornwood still clipped in lol. It was fun still i just got tuckered out.

mtbr member
    Interactive map of Landon and Flint Hills Nature Trail. Kinda cool.

Interactive KRTC Trail Feature Map - July 1, 2012

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast