Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    That sunshine sure felt good today. Maybe whatever made me so cold intolerant this week is wearing off. I got to thinking maybe the drug they pumped in me for the stress test last week messed with my system or something. All my drugs are performance de-enhancing.

Looks toasty next week. Did see the rain on Sunday but I guess we still need it pretty badly.

After 8 winters in Alaska and 19 here in Kansas (don't think I can count Texas, Louisiana, California, or Guam), the only one that comes to mind is the one wet October snow we had here in the mid 90's. Caused more havoc than anything else I had experience.

Hope everyone gets out when you want to!

mtbr member
    Had fun riding with Expo and slakjak yesterday. Too bad my rear derailleur hanger busted. We put the spare on and it was bent I got two new ones ordered. I guess my derailleur was a bit tweaked too. Expo fixed me up though. It's rideable again.

Hopefully i'll get to ride today.

IDKID I hope you have fun on the Mansion today. I got a few things to take care of this morning before I can go riding.

mtbr member
    With the exception of Shawnee Lake, rode every paved trail that I know of in Topeka today. Tried not to back track too much. Got 34.7 miles. Forgot to pack my dried apples and didn't take any money so was running out of fuel.

Saw Ryan heading east from 10th Street. I was coming from the east on 10th Street after riding that trail out to Deer Park Trafficway. Was going to text you and tell you to look back but couldn't pick out your number and I had cleaned all my texts out. Will have to correct that.

Took the 440 for some seat time on it. Love that bike. If I would have brought some fuel, would have been good for 50 today. It was a very nice day.

Tour de Topeka by mjanway at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    LOL! I saw you didn't look close enough to realize it was you! I ate a Gu - Energy - Expresso Love. I must say I think that one is my favorite so far. Was sipping on water and Zip Fizz (Grape) in my water-bottle and Camelbak. Had me a free gnc b-12 chew on the way back. Fuel is a must. I wish my Camelbak had a bit more storage but it's good enough for my garage door opener and I have that little pouch under my seat.

I cranked out 19.5 miles today. Mid 60's and sunny felt so good! Rode a full route on this paved trail just to get a rank on Strava. My legs wouldn't shut up today. I pushed though and eventually they quieted down a bit.

My Ride---> Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Shunga Trail from Fairlawn to Deer Creek near Topeka | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Trail Report at the Mansion. 50 percent for knobbys, 75 percent for others. Roots and leaves extremely slippery.

I'd give it another day or two.

mtbr member
    Sounds good! I'm making it a point to exercise in some way outside every day this week. So far so good!

mtbr member
    That's the way to do it. Got a treadmill, stepper, and exercise pedals to cover me inside in case of weather and usually a couple of days a week.
    Monday - 1/2 reps weights/resistance, stepper, bicycle ride.
    Tuesday - weights/resistance, exercise pedals, treadmill
    Wednesday - 1/2 reps weights/resistance, exercise pedals, trail run
    Thursday - weights/resistance, exercise pedals, treadmill
    Friday - 1/2 reps weights/resistance, exercise pedals, trail run
    Saturday - bike ride to/from work
    Sunday - bike ride to/from work, bicycle ride

And any extra bike time is great.

Keep it up!

mtbr member
    I rollerbladed 4.5 miles this morning with the dog. Felt great! I think my dogs a bit pooped though. He hasn't been out on an exercise like that in awhile.

mtbr member
    Anyone riding any dirt this week? I've kind of been enjoying the paved \ rock trails but it would be nice for a change up.

New tires seem to ride pretty good. Noisy little boogers though! I ended up getting some Specialized Fast Trak's from BlueSkyCycling for 19.98 a piece.

mtbr member
    I really have to believe everything is still pretty wet. When the daughter and I went out to run the mansion last Wednesday night, we found out that the north side of the red trail was a complete quagmire. The rest of it wasn't too bad. But with that rain over the weekend, I got to think it would be the same.

I had plans to ride out to Lake Shawnee via the eastern Shunga and Deer Creek trails, ride around the Lake, then ride back west on 29th to the Landon trail and ride back towards home today. I had been looking forward to it for several days but I got a letter from the State about my taxes from the year before last and had to spend the day writing letters and waiting for return phone calls (which never came). So, my week is all askew now. Hopefully I will get to make the ride sometime this week, right now looking at Friday unless something sooner pops up. Friday looks cold though but going to get out some way or another.

That's a good price for tires. Down time is starting to get to me. I had tuned all my bikes over and over and decided I better leave them alone. Then boredom got the better of me and I started a project that should have never been started. Let me just say that it involves a girl's 24 inch 10 speed (In pink and turquoise) and a Huffy single speed men's bike. Just about finished with it and will take some pictures once it's done, but let's just say that the sooner I get back outside, the better it will be for everyone.

So, I'm going to stay on the pavement for at least another week and hope it will be dry or drier next week.

mtbr member
    I was wanting to ride around lake shawnee tomorrow but the temp at 8am might deter my thoughts. 30* with 26* windchill. I could bundle up but I know it will still be chilly. I just want to ride. I am liking the pavement rides, I like the distance rides I dunno why. Dirt's fun too though! I'm itching to try these new tires out.

mtbr member
    Article in the paper today saying the County Commission is putting in for Federal money to link the Deer Creek trail to Lake Shawnee. That would be great.

State admitted they sent me that tax letter by mistake so they closed out the case. The funny thing about it is that my daughter works for the State's Department of Revenue. Right after the State did that, I got a message from the Amtrak agent. He has to go to a funeral so now I have to "work" Thursday night/Friday morning, so the week is still buggered up. Going to try and ride Thursday now. Running Wednesday night and a half painted wall staring at me today because I didn't think I would have a chance to get out today with the tax thing over my head.

Just have general oiling and adjustments before my "24er" is ready to go. I plan to ride it on trails with blooming flowers and beautiful people.

mtbr member
    Interesting. I'll have to look that up.

Glad the State got their screw up figured out.

Sucks you gotta cover those shifts.

Link to that news article about extending Deer Creek / Shunga Trail ---> County seeks federal money for trail project | CJOnline.com

mtbr member
    This morning's paper said that the Topeka City Council voted to apply to the Kansas Department of Transportation for a $1.4 million federal Transportation enhancement grant to be used to cover 80 percent of the costs to implement the first phase of a Bikeways Master Plan.

First the county and now the city. Sounds like some people out there have been working pretty hard on these matters. I would really like to thank them.

mtbr member
    A Topeka City Council action taken Tuesday evening could put the city on the road to being more bicycle-friendly.

The council voted 9-0 to apply to the Kansas Department of Transportation for a $1.4 million federal transportation enhancement grant to be used to cover 80 percent of the costs to implement the first phase of a Bikeways Master Plan.

Eleven people attending Tuesday’s meeting wore bicycle helmets to show support for the plan, which was crafted for the city and the Metropolitan Topeka Planning organization by RDG Planning & Design and Cook, Flatt & Strobel Engineers. Federal funding totaling almost $100,000 was used to finance the plan’s development.

The plan outlines a five-phase concept through which the city would establish bike lanes on various specific streets while developing a Topeka Bikeway System over a 15-year period. The city would first put in place a 34.79-mile pilot network of bike routes.

Should the city receive the federal funding the council voted to seek Tuesday, the city’s share of the costs would total an estimated $365,000, including $280,000 to match 20 percent of the grant and $85,000 for project design.

mtbr member
    Rode out to Lake Shawnee, around it, and back home. Just got 22.2 miles in. Nice trail around the lake, very relaxing. Got a good test on the Camelbak Mule. Now as far as I know, I've done all the civilized trails in the Topeka area.

Had a hard fall on the concrete last night running on Shunga. Scraped my hands and right arm up pretty good. Was lucky that I didn't hurt my legs or the ride might not had happened today. Left hand that took the worst of it was uncomfortable on the grips, even with a large bandage and gloves. Can't wait to get back on the dirt. I fall a lot more on it but it hurts a lot less. Got 3 days to heal up.

Might ride the StumpJumper out to the trails Monday to check on how they are drying. Been riding the Redline for about everything since I got it.

mtbr member
    LOL! I rode around Lake Shawnee too around 12pm. Take it easy out there on the paved trails.

mtbr member
    Rode the StumpJumper out to the Mansion this morning to check the trails. Was pleasantly surprised. They were in very good shape. Any bad spots were easily missed and I ended up with no mud on the tires at all. Rode the back half of the red trail and then rode back home. Got about 13 or so miles in today but that north wind with the front coming in was really fierce.

Have to wait and see what that storm does to us Thursday. Will probably run the mansion Wednesday night if we can beat the storm.

Mostly healed up now. Got concretephobia now.

mtbr member
    Rode the bike to the YMCA. 5.1 miles round trip. Did the Precore 100i for 10 minutes on intervals 1-4. Did alot of upper body weight machines today. All and all I feel like like all of my body parts are made of noodles. I'm pooped!

I haven't even tried riding any trail lately. I've been riding the paved trails, and going to the Y to work on my core and cardio. I might give a spin class a try Wed morning.

I'm quite surprised you were able to ride the mansion without alot of mud. That north wind was a bear. I rode into it back from the YMCA SW to my house. Dropped about 10-12 degrees in an hour or so too.

mtbr member
    The lack of mud blew me away too. An older rider (yep, older than me) was explaining to me about ground permeability and temperature changes and other effects that explain the dryness/wetness of the trails. He rides out there all the time so I'm certain he knows what he is talking about regardless of whether I understand him or not. Real nice guy, name's Dave if you ever run into him.

Sounds like you are into serious workouts. I certainly know where you are coming from with the noodle feeling. I've thought about going to the Y downtown as I live about a mile or so from it. But I got most of the stuff here now. I sure would like to add in swimming some laps one of these days. Good luck with the exercise.

I saw the front coming so I threw some layers in the backpack, glad I did.

mtbr member
    Thanks,

My bod is just so weak from where it used to be 10 years ago. I'm trying to build myself back up so I can get this gut off and be in better riding / personal condition. I've dropped 2-3 pant sizes since I started my diet a year and half ago. I'd like to drop one more. However I'm wearing the same size pants as I did my Senior yr of High School 10 years ago now. Woot!

Thinking of doing a spin class Wed. Actually i'm going to do it! I'm meeting with a personal trainer Friday at 2:45 to get a set workout plan setup. It's free with the Y.

Let me know when you want to go out to the LRT again. That was a blast! You just outride me. I'm trying to build my stamina and endurance up so I can keep up with you and Sean. I get winded easily when riding trails. Road riding I do pretty good. I got more gears than Sean so i can outrun him on the road if I want.

These new tires I got seem to do alot better on the road rolling resistance wise. Feels like they are quicker. Noisy but quicker. I put Specialized Fast Trak's on. 26x2.0 Surprisingly they have alot of road grip too. I haven't had them in the dirt yet. I hear they really kick butt on the Hardpack though. So at least I have a good set of Summer tires now.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of giving LRT plenty of time to dry out before riding it again. You miss a lot of the fun of it when it's wet or muddy. If you can keep a good flow on it, it's a blast.

The dirt can wear me out too. I was breathing hard today on that short section of trail I went on. Plus I forgot every technical skill I ever had and had a heck of a chore just staying on the trail. Could not keep traction on that back tire going up the hills today. Need to work on that air pressure.

I'll probably need new tires after this summer if I do half of what I want to do.

A personal trainer can be a great asset. My youngest daughter got started with one and she didn't like him at first. After listening to her telling me what he was saying, he sounded like he knew what he was doing and I told her that. She hasn't said anything since. Think he was making her do more than she wanted to.

If the storm hits hard and leaves us real wet, might do another Tour de Topeka Monday adding in Lake Shawnee this time. Ought to put it up to about 40 miles. I'm thinking about a few more 30-50 milers then putting together a century.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of doing Tour De Brew KC on May 19th (Sunday) 40 bux to enter though. They have a 15, 30, and a 62 mi ride. You ride from Brewery to Brewery in KC benefits go toward Bike Walk KC.

Interested?

What is the Tour de Brew KC? | Tour de Brew Kansas City

I also need to put a wee bit more air in my tires. Seems like these Fast Trak's like alot of air or they squat due to being a folding tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rynoman03 View Post
    Interested?
    Perhaps next year for me. Too much Kansas stuff I want to get done this year.

mtbr member

24er DaisyJumper

Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-dscf0223.jpg

Didn't work out. Will convert back to a Santa Fe and Mt. Storm. Must stay out of basement and away from tools until Spring.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast