Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Certainly looks like it.

Should have mentioned the rear brake first. That will put you on the ground quicker than anything else. Apparently rear brakes were put on mountain bikes just for decoration.

mtbr member
    Just got back from riding the LRT with Slakjak.

What a fun flowing trail! We hit some mud around mile 4 or so but it was so worth the drive. Good ride that with the wind wore me out. We also ventured upto Lake Perry to scope out those trails.

Link to ride.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | LRT w/ Slakjak near Lawrence | Times and Records | Strava

Ride was about 8 miles total.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ahhhhh.....Spring is here!

I wish, but we will take what we can get. Time to (once again) adjust the riding apparel for less insulation! I am going to knock out my 30 mile route. It is based around the paved portion of the Shunga Trail. I turn out in several locations and go get a few additional miles in away from the trail. I am hoping Quinton Heights hill is sufficiently dried out, to where I can hammer up the grass slope. I was riding up it last year and the top started to get very greasy. I lost all traction and momentum and completely stopped. I fell when I put a foot down. Next thing I know I was just wallowing in saturated mud/sod. It was so slippery I couldn't stand up. I had to sort of crawl to the top, dragging my bike behind me. This was on a weekday, and I have no doubt I was being watched from the School Administartion Bldg. windows . Enjoy the temporary warm up, guys!

mtbr member
    It sure looked like a nice day out there FireCop. I saw a little of it but slept most of it away. Might go out to the Mansion tomorrow a.m. It was dry Wednesday night when we ran it. Monday looks too cold to get my regular ride in.

I was thinking of putting all of the paved trails together and see what I end up with. Got the one north of the river, Shunga, Deer Creek, Landon, and Lake Shawnee. Any others I missed?

Might do them later on this week. Looks like most of the dirt is still 2 to 3 weeks from being dry.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking of riding around Shawnee Lake sometime in the future.

mtbr member
    Probably gonna hit the mansion trails on Saturday if anyone wants to join in.

mtbr member
    Mansion Trails in great shape Id. A couple of dried out ruts on the blue and green but nothing serious.

I've been allergic to the cold this week. First time out today there at the mansion. Will be running it tonight also. (trying to get caught up).

In my cabin time, I did buy an upgraded Redline D440 (29er). A little heavy, but it had all the features I wanted and the price was certainly right. I was going to take the StumpJumper out today figuring the mansion trails might be too tight for the Redline but talked myself into taking that instead. I was certainly glad I did. I have never felt more in control of a bicyle than I did today with that Redline. I was zipping through those trails with more and more confidence as I went. I did feel that weight on the longer hills but figure more Wheaties will cure that. Very happy with it.

I wish I could ride with you Saturday but that is serious sleep time for me unless I can get one heck of a nap in at work Friday night/Saturday morning. (will certainly be trying) (rough job, I know).

And I did wear my helmet this time Ryan. (wife fears it was too late though)

Shifting my crosstrail back over to a street/work bicycle and giving the Schwinn to the daughter. (figures, finally got it shifting right).

See everyone around and have a good time in Emporia expo! Maybe 50 next year for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Landon Nature Trail out of Topeka KS-dscf0220.jpg  

mtbr member
    Not a bad looking bike. Certainly a nice fork it's got on there.

You must have picked it up after Friday when we rode last

mtbr member
    What speed is that? 1 x ???

mtbr member
    Picked it up Monday. 1x8. Shocks and discs were the upgrade.

mtbr member
    You get it at Capps or from someone local? Looks nice! I'd like to ride a 29er sometime on the trail just to see what the big hoopla is.

I might go back to 1 x on my Sette. I don't use the low or high chain ring hardly at all.

mtbr member
    Found it on craigslist here local. Told the wife I was looking for a hooker but found another bike instead.

The only way I can describe it is that it really tames the rocks, roots, and other assorted bumps down. The trail felt the same to me no matter what I was going over. The clearance was really great. I didn't ground on any fallen trees or stumps or anything.

mtbr member
    Your stable is growing. Not a bad thing though!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info slakjak. Nice to have a set of eyes on it over there since it's an hour drive for me. Anyone riding at the mansion on Saturday?

mtbr member
    Not sure yet. Might ride there Friday with a few other people.

mtbr member
    Awesome thread guys, I enjoy reading it! On a side note, some of you all seem to find awesome deals on Craigslist. I check daily and never have such luck.. Lol

mtbr member
    I check daily but never seem to have the cash for the things I want lol. Or the wife doesn't allow me to purchase them. It's a double edged sword.

mtbr member
    I can relate! Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I hear ya' on the $$ thing ryno & motool. Besides mountain biking, my other hobby is backpacking. You can spend major $$ on that high tech, light weight camping equipment. The way I see it, though, if you're out getting fresh air & excercise, it is well worth the investment. Hey, thats my defense and I'm sticking to it!!

mtbr member
    I totally agree FireCop

mtbr member
    My problem is I have alot of hobbies. My other main one is drag racing / modding my car. While I don't have it where I want it yet I'm still trying. Then there's gaming / electronics, rollerblading, car audio, guitars / music, golf, fishing, hunting, ect. I've spent money on them all but I tend to get super interested in one for awhile then that's the focus for awhile.

I work in IT so I tend to nerd out on electronics and never have the cash to buy the nerd object of my affection. SOMEDAY...SOMEDAY!

mtbr member
    That bike cost me allowing the wife a "change order" on a bathroom remodel. Spent the whole day yesterday doing it. Had to mess up a new paint job on a wall to do it and repaint. (Too cold to be outside anyways)

I do realize I did luck out on that bike. Must have been destined for me.

Ran the mansion this morning. Beautiful day. Trail looks good. Wonder how the rest are coming along. (Dornwood, Lawrence. Perry, Clinton)

mtbr member
    Gonna ride the Mansion or Dornwood in an hour or so.

mtbr member
    It's pretty bad when 36 degrees feels great! Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good looking rig, Slakjac. I think most trails ought to be in good shape, at least for a while. I guess we have rain inbound for the weekend and temps. dropping some. Have never seen winters this mild! I moved to Kansas in the early 80's. I grew up south of Lake Erie in Ohio. We would get the lake effect snows in the winter. I had to laugh when I moved here. The first time I experienced a "winter weather advisory" here was kind of amusing. It is still funny to me when they warn people when we get 2" of snow here in KS.

There was one storm in Ohio in the late 70's that paralyzed the whole state. We got rain, turned to ice, 3 feet of snow and high winds. It dropped power lines and caused major drifting on the highways and roadways. Good times! Anyhow....enjoy the riding weather guys!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast