my road bike is a Harley
    Mar 2007

kid friendly single track in the Black Hills?

Hi all,

Going to the Black Hills on vacation next week and was just wondering if anyone can recommend some kid friendly single track in the Black Hills area. When I say "kid-friendly" what I mean is not a lot of climbing, but some fun twisty single track. I was thinking of getting a ride to the top of Tinton trail and riding back to Spearfish. Any other ideas?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shuttling Tinton Trail is a great option.

Another would be starting from the Alkali Creek campground east of Sturgis and riding "Bulldog" -- south on the Centennial trail for about 4 miles, then turn around and come back. It is twisty and fun, relatively smooth single-track. Up-hill all the way out, but at a modest grade.

Another would be starting in Silver City and riding Trail #40 west until the first narrow bridge, where the creeks (Slate and Rapid) come together, 3-3.25 miles from the parking area at the end of the gravel past Silver City. This is another one that is uphill all the way out, but its a very easy 3% or so.

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I took my 2 & 3 year olds on Striders to Trail 40 in Silver City. Take Silver City Road off of Highway 385 by the Whispering Pines Camground. About five miles in you'll park at a gate by Rapid Creek. Ride upstream from there. It's not single track at the beginning but be patient - it gets really nice. Super easy.

If you want something a bit more rolling than that then you can also get on the Centennial Trail at Deer Creek Trailhead off of Silver City road. This trailhead is not far from the intersection of Silver City Road and 385.

From there ride north. It's just easy, flowy single track until you hit 385. That would probably be a good place to turn around if you want a short and easy ride. Cross 385 and keep going if you want more. Or turn around and then pass the Deer Creek Trailhead and ride down towards Pactola. You could even start at Pactola but I always preferred starting at Deer Creek.