mtbr member

Kansas Trail Talk

Coming from the Manhattan area, I know there are a lot of trails around. I've got a few friends that enjoy riding and come this fall we are looking to travel around on the weekends after classes and hit some Saturday and Sunday trails. What ones would be worth the drive?

Obviously Switchgrass/Wilson is always worth it. We've ridden Fancy Creek a handful of times, Manhattan River Trails daily, and the Spillway a couple of times. But what would be some good trails to make a day trip or two to? I've heard some good things about the Lawrence River Trails, and some in Topeka. What else is there?!

If you're in the Manhattan area, let me know if you wanna tag along! Thanks guys!
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Governors Mansion and Dolan Park in Topeka, Lawrence River Trail, Perry Lake Trails, Clinton Lake Trails, and Shawnee Mission Parks Trails is a good start over this way.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Are those all pretty long trails?
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Mansion and Dolan are relatively short ones, Clinton has two longer (10 mi), Perry has multiple trails when ridden together are long. Shawnee Mission has various trails, when combined can be medium length. Lawrence has 2 versions and is a medium trail.
    d440
    StumpJumper
    Crosstrail
    Beast

mtbr member
    Definitely Lawrence River Trails. If you do the whole loop, it's right at 10 miles.
    Shawnee Mission is a good one and they have just completed the "Red" loop and I hear great things. I can be pretty rocky, but fun at the same time.

If you wouldn't mind heading further east, KC has awesome trails! Swope is top notch and has a little bit of everything. Landahl is amazing from what I hear.

Check out ERTA - Earn Your Dirt!

This the association that handles most of the trail building/maintenance in the Metro. Awesome group!!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Thanks, Firefighter! I'll have to check some of them out. I'm not sure how often I can make it to KC, but I could definitely give it a shot one of these weekends.
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member

Re: Kansas Trail Talk

Just hit Perry the other day...real rocky and rooted.

Topeka Governors Mansion is a fun flowy fast trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Looks pretty fun morando! I don't mind some technical riding! Like the bike color by the way.
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    a lot of stuff around KC looks like Perry. some bigger rocks, some don't have any rocks. I normally ride WYCO if I want to go fast and Shawnee Mission Park (SMP) if I want a technical rock garden challenge. SMP has a lot of variety over the trails.

To me, a comparison of KC trails I normally ride to stuff around Manhattan:
    WYCO ~ Linear Trail but longer with a lot of fun stuff thrown in
    BURP/Minor Park north side ~ smoothest sections of Linear Trail, very fast if you want. have to watch for hikers
    BURP/Minor Park south side and east side ~ close to the picture of Perry, some very technical rock sections. some smooth/semi-rocky areas.
    SMP ~ Perry. Some areas with lots of rocks/roots, newer stuff is smoother but still has rocks that wouldn't budge when trailbuilding.
    Swope ~ nothing like it. very unique, but you can't be afraid of rocks. Or heights. Or getting your head split open (talking about you "headache").

mtbr member
    Sweet, I'll have to hit some of those. By Linear Trail do you mean the singletrack that's off of Linear trail? Or the actual flat with no features linear trail? Haha
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    definately the singletrack. Although KC does have a very nice series of asphalt tracks , I wouldn't advise driving to KC for it. Dirt is much better.

Hopefully the rain stays away and we can actually get some rides in soon. Mother nature has had it out for us lately.

mtbr member
    Yea, I'm in SW Kansas for the summer on an internship, went up to MHK a couple weeks ago to see some friends and hit the trails but they were too muddy. And yea - I wouldn't make a 10 second drive for asphalt track. Singletrack is my one and only love. I'll be sure to come to KC and try to tear some up. Sounds like some good riding.
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    I think Slakjak is referring to the Dornwood Park trails. I've never heard of Dolan... It's a good fun trail at about 5 miles if you ride the full loop. However the normal loop isn't marked, well none of the trails are marked. You can ride this place any way you want though and it is just as fun.

Clinton Lake is pretty fun and I tend to like riding it more than I do Perry Lake due to it having a skills section with teeter totters, log rides, skinnys, elevated planked bridges ect.

Lawrence River Trail is also fun and is not far from eateries / bars.

Wyco Trails are supposedly pretty fun I haven't gotten to ride there yet however.

Swope Park in KC is a definite worthwhile drive to go ride! It's pretty technical and rocky but a super good fun time! I would put myself between novice and intermediate rider and I did great there.

Alot of folks don't like the technical riding because it's tough and wears you out faster. You just have to pick your lines and learn how to ride it. I mean how are you supposed to get better if you don't challenge yourself right?

By the way how are you liking that Trance X? I've been looking at them at Big Poppi whenever I go over to Manhattan.

mtbr member

Kansas Trail Talk

I love finding my own lines. That's what mountain biking is, right? Haha I will definitely have to try that out. I definitely don't mind the technical rides and the skill area at Clinton sounds like an interesting time too. Where are you from rynoman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE

mtbr member
    I'm from Topeka but I went to KSU for a few years. I'm going to ride the Camp Alexander ride tomorrow if you are going.

mtbr member
    Sent ya a message.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Kansas Trail Talk

I'm not unfortunately. But I would love to hear about that place. Post a vid or two if you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giant Trance X 29er
    Schwinn Sidewinder

EMAW - GO STATE