mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Kansas Fat Tire Festival May 5th/6th

This weekend is the KS Fat Tire festival/ race at Wilson Lake, KS. These trails are amazing and unlike anything else you will find in the midwest. Check out the details here: Kansas Fat Tire Festival ‹ United Federation of Dirt

Hope to see you out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'll be there. This will be my first MTB race, so I'm crawling out of my skin with excitement. I rode the trails this weekend and was really impressed. I'm sitting here at work visualizing possible race scenarios and getting butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it. Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'll be there! Look for the guy in the red Team Hammerhead jersey riding a Orbea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ryguy135--Have you ridden or raced Wilson before? Just curious. As I mentioned above, I rode there for the first time this past weekend and it is a cool place. I felt ridiculously slow while I was riding, but when I checked my time at the ten mile mark, which is approximately the length of the Cat 3 race, I was competitive with the times from last year, assuming all other things are equal. I even stopped to test different lines in one area, which added to my time. This has me excited and nervous at the same time. I feel like I have a chance of doing well in my category, but this also puts some pressure on because of my own expectations. I guess I should focus on going out and having a good time and let everything else happen as it may. Anyhow, I hope this doesn't sound like a cocky rant because that is the furthest thing from my intent. I'm just really wound up with all the possibilities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Bringing the wife and daughter out with me. Gonna ride the guided ride on saturday and then decide if i can make it the 10 miles on sunday or not. Look for us in the Airstream trailer pulled by a Ford Excursion.

Bill

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    ryguy135--Have you ridden or raced Wilson before? Just curious. As I mentioned above, I rode there for the first time this past weekend and it is a cool place. I felt ridiculously slow while I was riding, but when I checked my time at the ten mile mark, which is approximately the length of the Cat 3 race, I was competitive with the times from last year, assuming all other things are equal. I even stopped to test different lines in one area, which added to my time. This has me excited and nervous at the same time. I feel like I have a chance of doing well in my category, but this also puts some pressure on because of my own expectations. I guess I should focus on going out and having a good time and let everything else happen as it may. Anyhow, I hope this doesn't sound like a cocky rant because that is the furthest thing from my intent. I'm just really wound up with all the possibilities.
    I raced there last year but that's the only time I've been there. Sounds like you're overthinking your first race, which is perfectly normal. Best advice I have for you is go out there and shoot for the best you can do, but don't be disappointed if you wind up mid pack. The Cat 3 guys may be the slowest category, but the average Cat 3-er is far from being a beginner. Best advice I have is to go at your own pace. Find someone who is doing a pace that you think you can keep up with but is still pushing you and try to ride his wheel as long as you can. And don't push too hard at the start. Often 3 or 4 guys will be gone at the start sprinting like mad. However, as soon as they get to a technical section their eyes are so crossed that they tend to make mistakes and make for easy passes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    I raced there last year but that's the only time I've been there. Sounds like you're overthinking your first race, which is perfectly normal. Best advice I have for you is go out there and shoot for the best you can do, but don't be disappointed if you wind up mid pack. The Cat 3 guys may be the slowest category, but the average Cat 3-er is far from being a beginner. Best advice I have is to go at your own pace. Find someone who is doing a pace that you think you can keep up with but is still pushing you and try to ride his wheel as long as you can. And don't push too hard at the start. Often 3 or 4 guys will be gone at the start sprinting like mad. However, as soon as they get to a technical section their eyes are so crossed that they tend to make mistakes and make for easy passes.
    I think you are right about over-thinking the race. I can't help it. Thanks for the advice. I am definitely going to go out at my own pace. I tend to warm up slowly and pushing too hard, too soon leads to slower overall times for me.

mtbr member
    It's cool to see this race get talked about here. I live about 50 miles south of Wilson and love those trails. Would be racing this year, but I'm still in the early stages of recovery from a nasty ankle injury. Next year tho!!!!
    Registered pedalphile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What a great venue, trail, and weekend.
    We got lots of riding in and survived the Marathon Sat. then helped direct racers to the "home stretch" on Sunday....lots of fun and great racing.
    Doug puts on a great race weekend!!

Tim

mtbr member
    Had a great time Sunday big thanks to Douge n all the volunteers. Can't wait to see results didn't get around to checking my time before I left.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Results are up. Looks like it's time for me to upgrade. My Cat 2 time would have won Cat 1 if I'd have been racing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Results are up. Looks like it's time for me to upgrade. My Cat 2 time would have won Cat 1 if I'd have been racing it.
    Thats crazy you woulda beat me i got 2nd in cat 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good job guys. I had a good time racing my first race. I'm planning on Dirty Little Secret next. ryguy135, I meant to look for you, but I was so preoccupied with my own situation that I was basically in my own world until after the race and I left after the awards for Cat 3.