Live to Ride-Ride to Live
    Aug 2006

June/July Black Hills Races

If you want to test your mettle the Tatanka 100 is the place to do it.. No Bull about it!

And if 100 miles of the Black Hills is a bit too much to tackle take a look at Sturgis BAM. 35 miles of the best the Black Hills has to offer in a point-to-point format with a great after ride venue. Bring the whole family, there is something for everyone!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I rode the first annual Tatanka 100 last year. If I were somehow able to design the perfect 100 mile grand loop for mountain biking, complete with my own custom geology and biology it would look just like this course. It has an ideal mix of technical and physical challenge but is a highly rewarding experience as well. Being able to sample the Black Hills through the Tatanka 100 course is the experience of a lifetime.

LCW
    mtbr member

June/July Black Hills Races

Anyone doing the Super D at the Black Hills Fat Tire Festival

http://www.bhfattirefestival.com/races.php
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    I'll be there registering people but not riding it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Online registration for the Tatanka ends tomorrow, best get in while the getting is good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone have a GPX file of this year's Tatanka course? I'll be passing through the area in a couple weeks and would like to ride it solo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Anyone have a GPX file of this year's Tatanka course? I'll be passing through the area in a couple weeks and would like to ride it solo.
    Some solo tips:

There _should_ be water at the Dalton Lake campground (only a few hundred feet off course) in a cistern, if not you can filter out of the lake inlet.

There is water available in Nemo either at a spigot in the middle of a big yard area surrounded by rental cabins (easy to spot from the road) or at the store.

If you are desperate in Silver City I think there is a spigot or such either at the church coming into town or on the fire hall in town.

Peddlers trail can be easy to miss, it is about equidistant between the first and second narrow bridges (the narrow bridges will be obvious, they're ... narrow.)

There is water available out of a cistern at Rochford, Dumont and Englewood on the Mickelson -- if you are desperate for water when you hit the Mickelson and can't make it to Rochford (where there is a store also) you can head south just a couple of miles and hit the Mystic Trailhead.

There is a convenience store where you cross Highway 385 after Englewood. I usually justify an ice cream sandwich there as I am already 80mi along.

The left off of Galena road is signed with "County Line" (it's on the county line between Meade and Lawrence counties).

This year we followed the Deadman Channel through town, which is not open to ride except for race day, so you will have to deal with traffic through town.