Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Always Learning

IMBCS #10 - Lake Ahquabi State Park "The Mullet Fall Classic"

Marathon Junkies and XC Rabbits alike will enjoy The Mullet Fall Classic on October 9th, 2011 at Lake Ahquabi State Park - 5 miles south of Indianola, Iowa.

Guaranteed cash prizes for the men and women top riders in the Open Marathon 3+ hour race, as well as for the men and women top riders in the CAT I XC race.

Never been to or raced in Iowa before? Not a problem!!!

Plenty of racers in Iowa have been to Kansas, MIssouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois to participate in some of your XC and Endurance mountain bike races. Why not reciprocate and drive to Iowa on the weekend of October 9th for a fall classic race with plenty of food, drink and prizes? There's even a prize for the best, naturally grown Mullet that one sports with their hair.

Registration will be handled by Raceregister.net. Online registration is up and running!! Day of race registration will be available, but the online registration will be offered at a discounted entry fee. We urge all to register online so the electronic chip timing data can be entered, plates issues and streamline the day of activities at the race. And you save cash!!!

Details of the race here.

Mark it in your calendars. Load up the buggy. Drive on over to Lake Ahquabi State Park and clip your shoes into your race pedals for the 4th running of The Mullet Fall Classic.

TheMulletFallClassic

OneOfTheBridgeCrossings

FollowTheArrow

PostRaceHydration

BBDiggingDeep

SuperFast

Open Marathon category starts at 11:45 a.m. (registration closes at 11:15 on the day of the race for the Marathon Junkies)

XC Categories start in waves at 12 p.m. - or High Noon (registration closes at 11:15 on the day of the race for XC Rabbits)

LakeAhquabiStatePark
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 09-20-2011 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Added Park Map

Always Learning
    Online Registration is up and running!!

As promised, I turned on the event registration this morning (September 20th). It will close at 9 pm on October 8th (the evening before the race).

Raceregister.net is handling the discounted entry fee registration. Direct link to the event for registration is here.

The 10 IMBCS series overall winners from 2010 will also need to register online, however I have unique coupon codes for each of you which you will be receiving shortly from me so that your entry fee to register at Raceregister.net is waived.

BB

Always Learning

Want a Mullet t-shirt?

My partner in crime for The Mullet is in charge of getting t-shirts for all those that register early. Here's what he has to say about it:

...*if you want a t-shirt, pay close attention... *

Be the envy of all your friends, neighbors and local PBR swigging hipsters. Our high-quality, athletic-cut, soft, cottony t-shirts are available only if you register by NOON on FRIDAY, SEPT 30th. (CST)

Here are the very clear and simple steps for how to do this:

Step #1: Register early by clicking this link ("by what date/time," you ask? correct: noon on Friday the 30th)

Step #2: Email me and let me know what size you need.

Step #3: Show up on race day and collect your sexy Mullet Classic t-shirt.

So, to review the really important stuff...

• The Mullet will be the best time you & your friends have ever had on 2 wheels - until, of course, next year's Mullet Classic.

• The Mullet will provide a reasonable amount of food & beverages.

• The Mullet will provide the opportunity to leave with your wallet a little heavier than when you arrived. $!

• The Mullet course has something for everyone. Beginner, intermediate, & expert.

• The Mullet is an equal opportunity race. Roadies, baggers, mtb'ers, recreational riders, etc.

• The Mullet t-shirt is the warmest, cottoniest, softest t-shirt you'll ever model to your friends.

• The Mullet is good friends with CITA (Central Iowa Trails Association). CITA is our voice for access to and maintenance of our off-road trails in Central IA. Thank you, CITA!

•••And perhaps most importantly...the Mullet would like to thank Jeff Goodman and U.Me Compete, Jeff Lorenzen, and CITA for their devotion to making this event the above noted best time ever on 2 wheels. We thank you for your commitment to making Central IA a better place to race and ride!!!*

See you all soon...

Jed, Bruce & Crew
    Des Moines, IA

mtbr member
    Do you have to have a license to race CAT 2 Sport Mens?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    Do you have to have a license to race CAT 2 Sport Mens?
    No, you don't have to have one. In fact, no USA Cycling license is required for The Mullet.

BB

mtbr member
    NICE! I'll be racing!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    NICE! I'll be racing!
    Great to hear. Just a reminder that if you sign up by Friday noon (September 30th) you get a free Mullet T-Shirt!!

I rode the course this morning. It's a bit shorter and faster than last year (by design). This mid-pack CAT II old man (50) did a lap at LT before going to work in 33 minutes. So finishing times for the XC race option should meet the IMBCS suggested finish times.

BB

Always Learning
    Final CITA trail work day October 2nd:

Today from 1-5 pm at Lake Ahquabi to get the course ready for the race. Some are meeting at 11 a.m. to pre-ride the route and learn the course. Some will ride after the work has been completed. Come on out and pitch in.

On tap for today...

Finish course marking, fill two major erosion spots, final grooming.

Beer, beverages, sunshine and 71 degrees.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    race day registration ?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    race day registration ?
    Yes. We will also have race day registration.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 10-04-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Always Learning
    Garmin data for the race course lap is available here.

Course is fully marked now and groomed for pre-riding.

Always Learning

Online Registration Reminder...

Just a reminder to say that the discounted online registration for The Mullet Fall Classic ends tomorrow night at 9 p.m. (Saturday, October 8th).

Not to worry, there will still be day of race registration at the Beach Shelter from 9:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. for those who prefer to register in person.

mtbr member
    GREAT TIME!!! Will be back next year! Thanks Bruce!

mtbr member
    "Great job" to Bruce, all the organizers, all the volunteers, all the racers, and all the spectators!

Everyone else, put this race on your calendar for next year!

Results are on-line: MYLAPS Results

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by KAriadne View Post
    "Great job" to Bruce, all the organizers, all the volunteers, all the racers, and all the spectators!

Everyone else, put this race on your calendar for next year!

Results are on-line: MYLAPS Results
    Thanks to all that came out and raced The Mullet Fall Classic as well as all those that partied post-race, volunteered and put in a lot of effort to make this event sing.

Perfect weather of sunshine and 80 degrees met everyone for a fun filled day on a very fast race course.

155 racers toed the line, $1800 in cash awards were given out, cool/unique prize medals for the top 3 in every division, ultra cool t-shirts, lots of schwag, a beer garden that was nearly entirely consumed, lots of burgers, brats, chili, salads, chips, desserts. I think I was the only one that had a major mechanical (broken chain about 1/2 mile after the start which took me about 10-15 minutes to fix by the time I walked back to the start and got what I needed).

Look for even more fun and prize money next year as The Mullet Fall Classic continues to grow.

BB

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for anyone interested in racing after it cools down a bit. I'm planning to make this my first mountain bike race! October 7th is the date of the 2012 race.

Lake Ahquabi State Park - The Mullet Fall Classic

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by getagrip View Post
    Just thought I'd resurrect this thread for anyone interested in racing after it cools down a bit. I'm planning to make this my first mountain bike race! October 7th is the date of the 2012 race.

Lake Ahquabi State Park - The Mullet Fall Classic
    I just registered on raceregister.net and don't see this race listed?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged1 View Post
    I just registered on raceregister.net and don't see this race listed?
    Well...not sure why that is, but maybe it would be best to get ahold of the website owner. You will see contact information listed on theri website - about half way down on the right hand side of the below the directions section.
    Last edited by getagrip; 08-06-2012 at 09:59 AM.

move on up...
    Well...not sure why that is, but maybe it would be best to get ahold of the website owner. You will see contact information listed on theri website - about half way down on the right hand side of the below the directions section.
    Message sent, Thanks.
    Getagrip are you racing this year?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Forged1 View Post
    Message sent, Thanks.
    Getagrip are you racing this year?
    Yep, I'm planning to. Honestly, I was probably just going to register the day of the event. It will be my first mountain bike race. I'm planning to do the 3 hour marathon. I'll probably be the slowest one on the course, but the marathon appealed to me because it would be a more relaxed pace, rather than an all out war.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The link on the Ahquabi race site is likley for last years race. It references last years dates on raceregister.net.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    The link on the Ahquabi race site is likley for last years race. It references last years dates on raceregister.net.
    According to the website, there are two races in 2012, one of which occured this past weekend (August 4th), and the other one which occurs on October 7th (Sunday). This is something that is clearly referenced on their website, and the dates match up for 2012. Above and beyond that, there was a website entry and a comment dated August 4th and 5th of this year, so the information appears to be up to date.
    Last edited by getagrip; 08-06-2012 at 03:18 PM.

move on up...
    Yep, I'm planning to. Honestly, I was probably just going to register the day of the event. It will be my first mountain bike race. I'm planning to do the 3 hour marathon. I'll probably be the slowest one on the course, but the marathon appealed to me because it would be a more relaxed pace, rather than an all out war.
    I am just getting back into mountainbiking and I am itching to race , this will be my first in 19 years...man I'm getting old! The marathon sounds fun too.....not sure my legs are up for that......yet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    According to the website, there are two races in 2012, one of which occured this past weekend (August 4th), and the other one which occurs on October 7th (Sunday). This is something that is clearly referenced on their website, and the dates match up for 2012. Above and beyond that, there was a website entry and a comment dated August 4th and 5th of this year, so the information appears to be up to date.
    Sorry, I wasn't clear...the Ahquabi site appears to be current. The raceregister.net link from that site is for last years entry info. Bruce, the promoter, has not likely opened a new link on raceregister.net for 2012 (assuming he uses them again).

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear...the Ahquabi site appears to be current. The raceregister.net link from that site is for last years entry info. Bruce, the promoter, has not likely opened a new link on raceregister.net for 2012 (assuming he uses them again).
    Correct. I am working with Justin (at RaceRegister.net) to get the 2012 version up and running ASAP. We had to figure out a couple of new things and should be good to go in the next week or two (at the very latest - September 1st).

BB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast