mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hills of Hell 2010

The Hills of Hell 2010 is scheduled for Saturday, 6 March and Sunday, 7 March 2010 at Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA), Fort Sill, OK.

We appreciate and thank all who participated in the Hills of Hell 2009.

Shane Dunlevy, point of contact, 580-442-3269

Closekids.com
    Thanks for the information Shane. I will be back for sure because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Also, no matter what else came from this race...my racing buddy got beat by the unicycler!

I don't care how many tires he "claims" to have blown. No one can verify that, but we can verify the time order.

Would you post the final results here?

Twin Six METAL
    Shane,

Awesome! I commend you on already having a date for next years event and getting the ball rolling right out of the gate. I can already see that next year will be much better than this year, let's get the people out there excited about this race!

Mark
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Guys,

Shane here. We are going to start planning next year's event in early to mid May. I've posted info on the Lawton Ride 3/8/09 thread. Once we get started with the planning and keeping you guys updated, I'm going to use this thread (Hills of Hell 2010) exclusively, in case you get some folks asking about it.

Once we get on with the planning, we'll keep you informed on where we are and what we're looking at. We'll certainly take any input you may offer.

mtbr member
    Shane, Good luck with the planning, the old 12MoH was a 17mile event, and I have thought that in recent years a two lap event on the 17 mile course would be a nice adition to the days racing. 34 miles on those trails would be acceptional, think about adding a two lapper to the event during planning, If the two lappers started with the pack, and turned off at the finish to go around again, it would allow for fitter, faster riders to get a longer event in while the one lappers were finishing, and for most expert riders it would be a better test of fitness, and riding skills. non-expert riders may want to have a bigger challenge as well.

Don't hesitate to call on this forum with questions and comments while you are nailing down the details for this event, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we would like to see this event get back to the same status it once held as Oklahoma's biggest MTB event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

i agree

I have done the race for 15 years in a row and always felt like it was to short. 25-35 miles would be great. At least make it as long as the old race 15-17 miles. 8 is not worth getting out of bed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This was the second time I've done this race. I did for the first time back in 05. I think that year there was roughly a 14 mile course. While I agree that this year was short (though I'm thankful cause I was really out of shape), I think it's important to keep in mind that there will be a wide variety of skill levels present. You want to challenge the experts while not killing off the beginners. I can tell you that when I started riding, trying to do 20+ miles of that terrain would have had me sittin on some rock a tearful and broken young man. I'm honestly not sure I could have finished...I say that because I know it would have me exhausted to my wits end now as a young 23 year old intermediate level rider. I personally think the course should be between 13 and 16 miles. Thats plenty long enough to allow the experts to get their heart rates up, and short enough that a beginner can finish after a few hours and really feel like they've accomplished something and be challenged to come back the next year and do something better.

For those wanting more distance, one option I think would be to have some sort of a "marathon" event perhaps. Say you have a 15 mile loop. You can sign up for 1 lap or a 3 lap (marathon) event. Though personally I'll be staying with one. Endurance stuff isn't my thing.

Shane, I really liked some of the stuff you guys did this year. The electronic timing, blow up start/finish line, the geax booth (get more companies for next year!!), and the awesome burger feed afterwards were definite thumbs up for me. Keep those things around for sure! Lengthen the course, throw in a couple of longer but shallower climbs, and smooth things out with signup and registration (I early registered and didn't get a 09 shirt cause they ran out of Larges, had to go with an 08...I was a little peeved, but I got over it a little when I got the geax pint glass in my goodie bag! Definite plus!!) and promote the crap out of it and I'll think you'll have a killer event (tell the course distance in your ads, that will probably help. And more importantly, be right about it!!) If I'm able, I plan to attend next year. I liked some of what I saw enough to give you guys a second chance. Good luck with it!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just a thought to get some ideas rolling around what about a "24 hours of hell" event either coupled with the Mar race or later in the fall?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow, a 24 hour event there would be epic. That would bring alot of people into the race at Fort Sill. I don't know if Fort Sill can handle upwards of 1000 riders but if they are up to the challenge I'm sure the people will be there. This race can be made into a classic 24 hour race. The terrain is definitely there. That would be awesome.
    Still loving my GT's!! find me on the "GT Bike Group" page on FB. I hardly ever hang out in here anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hills of Hell 2010

ALCON:

The Hills of Hell 2010 planning has begun. We anticipate there will be some significant improvements to the 2010 event, especially concerning the length of the course. Since we've had small turnouts for the short track event, we anticipate that this event will not be offered for the 2010 event. We do anticipate the Road Race being offered on Saturday, 6 March 2010, separate from the Hills of Hell Mountain Bike Event, which will be held on Sunday, 7 March 2010.

Another planning meeting is scheduled for next week. If you've got any suggestions, questions, or know of any magazines or other websites we need to "get the word out", let us know.

Shane

mtbr member
    Shane Seriously consider a two lap 35-50 mile event in addition to the traditional one lap "Hell". Marathon racing is gaining popularity, and many racers would be willing to travel to participate in a longer event. Look at the Quachita Challenge as an example, it sells out in less than a day, and brings in racers fron thruout the reigon. Texas has an entire series devoted to these long format races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK has a couple of endurance races as part of the Ridin' Dirty Series, like the the Six in the Sticks and the Roman Nose 50, a marathon race in Lawton would be a cool addition...

http://www.sixrace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Shane Seriously consider a two lap 35-50 mile event in addition to the traditional one lap "Hell". Marathon racing is gaining popularity, and many racers would be willing to travel to participate in a longer event. Look at the Quachita Challenge as an example, it sells out in less than a day, and brings in racers fron thruout the reigon. Texas has an entire series devoted to these long format races.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cooldaddy/sbsbiker,

Thanks for the input on the endurance info. If we can get additional ranges opened up for the event, I don't see any issues with the endurance race/ride. Would you suggest a separate course for the endurance, or use one course with multiple laps?

Concerning last year's course, aside from the short distance, were the hills adequate? Or do we need to input more switchbacks with fewer straights? Where is a good course to view and get some pointers for developing a good challenging course?

We'll continue to keep you updated.

Shane

Closekids.com
    MORE SWITCHBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hike a bike stinks imho.

mtbr member
    I would put together a good 17-20 mile lap that everyone does as the "hills" race and make endurance riders do it twice. Start the two lappers ahead of the one lappers by about 30 min. turn the two lappers back around near the finish for lap two. One good course would be easy to mark, a simple sign turning racers is all that's needed. Keeping the singletrack quality is more important than distance. 40 miles on two track is not what I have in mind. I liked the '07 event's 17 miles, and something like that done twice would be a great test of ability, and endurance. One lap of that took me just under two hours, two laps would be around four for the leaders, and 4-5+ for most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Guys,

I appreciate the input. We've got a planning session scheduled for Wednesday, 12 Aug 09. We'll definitely discuss these suggestions and look at the possibilities. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Alright Guys,

Below is the info that was discussed during the planning session for the 2010 Hills of Hell:

A. Two Day Event (Sat, 6 Mar 09 and Sun, 7 Mar 09)

B. Moving the Road Race to Saturday

C. Offering a Bicycle Poker Run (Start and End at LETRA) All five stops would be located on Fort Sill. Offer chances for instant winner prizes, Best Hand and other awards. (Certainly open to other suggestions)

D. Food -

(Saturday) Looking at Beer and Pizza on Saturday as has been done in the past (Anticipating having the beer and pizza (or Hot Dogs) at the conclusion of the Poker
    Run.

(Sunday) - Anticipating coffee and doughnuts in the morning prior to start of actual Hills of Hell event. Following the Hills of Hell event, there will be burgers and fixins (for free) Available while supplies last. Our BOSS program will be selling drinks.

E. Awards - Will be 5 year age groups broken. I.e., 15 - 19; 20 - 24; 25 - 29; etc. Overall Male and Female Winner will receive separate award.

F. Timing - Will continue with timing chips as done in 2009.

G. Extending of course - We are certainly going to lengthen the course. It will be at least 15 - 17 miles. The suggestions of making/developing an endurance type course are great and we feel there is high probability this will happen. What we're discussing is this:

1. Providing a course that extends much farther west and north (to refuge boundary fence). This may provide a sizable flat area between "mountains". This is dependent upon approval from range control. We are currently working this issue.

2. Making the existing course longer with additional switchbacks and have participants complete two laps. One question with this option: Would the "two lappers" want split times for the event? If so, that raises logistical questions with the timing company that must be determined.

3. Including "hardball" (road) in the course and how much?

H. Locations where event info will be posted:

Currently, general info is posted at www.sillmwr.com. Click on the Special Events Tab clear to the upper right hand corner.

Will certainly continue with mtbr.com forum

Looking to get on the Oklahoma Earth Bike site

Also looking to get advertising into a couple of magazines.

That's it for now. Any questions, comments, keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There's usually quite a few people from the Wichita and South Central Kansas area that go down for this. Maybe provide an on-line flier that we can print and post in local bike shops.

Marty

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Marty,

Thanks for the heads up on the flier. We're working on a couple of ideas as we speak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Guys,

Just a heads up. Concerning the course, we've been looking a preliminary potential course routes for the Hills of Hell 2010. Certainly, we're looking to improve the course in the typical area between LETRA and Engineer Lake. These improvements would increase the length of the course to 14 - 17 miles.

Additionally, we are anticipating receiving permission to expand into other training areas that would allow us to extend the course west to the boundary line of the Wildlife Refuge. This area would be west of Engineer Lake and also include Ketch Lake. This potential course would provide a course length between 25 and 30 miles.

If you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions; let us know. We'll keep working at providing information to you guys.

Closekids.com
    25-30 Miles of Hell would be way too much for the average rider imho. The 14-17 idea with the Cat 1 guys doing two laps seems like a better idea to me. I think you could make more people happy that way.

Thanks for all the heads ups.

old slow guy
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    25-30 Miles of Hell would be way too much for the average rider imho. The 14-17 idea with the Cat 1 guys doing two laps seems like a better idea to me. I think you could make more people happy that way.

Thanks for all the heads ups.
    I couldn't agree more on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hello,

It's been awhile. Just want to give all a heads up. Course maps for the Road Course and the Mountain Course are available for view at www.mapmyride.com. They are listed under Hills of Hell. If you have any trouble viewing them, please let me know. Concerning the Road Course, it is exactly that. Previously, we had discussed a "poker run" type of road course. Due to some issues, that has been scratched. Concerning the Mountain Course, currently, it is approx 22 miles. If we are unable to utilize an extra training area, we will still have a course that is at least 17 miles.

We are looking to have registration up and running by 1 Dec 09 and believe we will have the registration process as clear as can be. If you have any questions, let me know.

Shane

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Couple of questions. Is there going to be a 'marathon' race? Are the Cat 1 doing two laps, or just one with everyone else? It'll be hard to determine the overall male and female winners if the fastest people racing are pacing for twice the distance and are thus riding slower to pace. Is it going to be mass start again? Are the fliers up yet? I'll print one off to put up in the shop I work at.

mtbr member
    I'll sign up for two laps, one 22 mile lap is just not enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Hills of Hell Bike Event is scheduled for 6 & 7 March 2010 at Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA) on Fort Sill. We are splitting the Road Race from the Mountain Bike Event. The Road Race will be conducted on Saturday, 6 March 2010. This is a 22 Mile course on asphalt roads with the start/finish area at the LETRA Lodge. There will be pizza and beer available (while supplies last) following the event.

The Mountain Bike Event will be conducted on Sunday, 7 March 2010, beginning at 1100. There will be burgers and fixin's available (while supplies last) following the Mountain event. Soft Drinks will be available for purchase from our BOSS Program. The Mountain Course distance will be 17 - 20 miles in length with a possibility of an additional 3 miles, dependent upon the availability of additional training ranges.

We will have electronic timing for the Hills of Hell Mountain Bike Event on Sunday, however, we will utilize our timing system for the Road Course on Saturday.

Concerning registration, we'll have registration up and running on Tuesday, 15 Dec 09. Registration is available through the Fort Sill MWR website at www.sillmwr.com. The event courses are available for review at www.mapmyride.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Ready to spread flyers to my my local cycling crew, a few work cohorts, and some of the finer bike shops.....where is the printable flyer .pdf loacated? anyone

Hacker at best
    Dec 2007
    Exactly, we have to have flyers out there to have a good turnout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the inquiry folks concerning the .pdf flyers. I'm working on getting that squared away. Anticipate having the flyer available for print at the registration link, www.sillmwr.com.

In the meantime, just send me your email and I'll reply with a printable flyer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

register?

your registration page is not working? when i click "calculate" it just goes back to the main page? I tried it several times with the same results. Why is "company" and "title" required?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Wiruth,

Thanks for the heads up on the registration page. We're attempting to rundown the glitch as we speak. Concerning company and title, you only need to put in a character for the company, for Title, input Mr./Ms./Mrs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The glitch with online registration has been corrected. Appreciate the information alerting us.

Tulsa
    Is this something an in shape beginner could handle, or is it pretty much for the experienced athlete?

edit: read this on your webpage "definitely not for beginners"
    thanks anyway, i'll find a place for beginners and come next year
    Last edited by rojogonzo; 01-21-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    wherever you go, there you are

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rojogonzo,

Thanks for the inquiry. This event is open for all levels. We have several beginners participate in years past. We've even had unicyclists participate and finish in the middle of the pack. If this is something that would interest you, I highly encourage you to participate. If you have other questions, or concerns, contact me at shane.dunlevy@us.army.mil, or at 580-704-9380.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

My Two Cents...

For what it's worth, I agree completely with BoomingSooner and Agave802003 concerning having the availability of more endurance races. The popularity of 3/6/12/24 hour races is growing tremendously. Being from Tulsa, I go up to Missouri and over to Arkansas to participate in their endurance events. It seems too easy to just offer the option of running two laps on the 17-20 mile course. Or, format it like many other promoters are doing, run it as a 3 or 6 hour event. Again, just my two cents worth..

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The registration page isn't working, when I click "Yes" it opens a charge payment window, but when I start to enter any charge information it resets to the main page. Tried it again and it reset before I could even start to enter any charge info.

Permanent Noob
    Shane,

I'm stationed at Sill and wanted to get a look at the course before deciding to enter. I checked MapMyRide, but couldn't find anything related to the event. Is there a way to maybe get it posted to the SILL MWR page?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

still happening?

Is the race still happening? I went to see if the registration problems are corrected and don't see a registration link at all now? I would like to go but need to make plans.

Permanent Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by wiruth
    Is the race still happening? I went to see if the registration problems are corrected and don't see a registration link at all now? I would like to go but need to make plans.
    Here's the link to the registration page. As far as I know, it's still on, but I personally want to see what I'd be getting into since this would be my first race. I can't find the map anywhere. I'm going to call MWR and see if I can get one when I'm on-post, if so I'll confirm it's still on and post it here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

found it.

Its not on the original web page that i had bookmarked for the race. It is on the Fort Sill FMWR main page........

Closekids.com
    Where are we on a total distance? thanks and looking forward to it. We have a crew coming down including 2 new racers.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

map

Has any one seen a map of the mtb course? I would like to see how much will be rideable.

Permanent Noob
    I stopped by MWR Sports today. The race IS still on! Total distance for the MTB course is just over 22 miles. I've attached the maps of both the road and MTB courses as best I could. The files they sent were huge! The east side of the MTB map in particular is a bit busy.

In case you also care about the road course. (Why? ) Where the route turns south on the NE corner at Tower 2 Road may not be open. If not, they said they are planning an out and back using the rest of the course.

I'm going to try and get out this weekend to see what the course looks like since this would be my first race and the first on this course. I wasn't able to find out if it's even marked yet. (Doubt it for some reason.) If I do, I'll post what I discover.

The registration link is, http://www.sillmwr.com/HillsRegistration_10.html I don't believe they are doing race day registration. Registration closes on the 4th.

Hope this helps!

Hills of Hell 2010-hoh-mb-map.jpg

Hills of Hell 2010-hoh-road-map.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Map

Here's the link to the mtb course,
    http://www.mapmyride.com/run/united-...25684840145315

Very interesting map of where the course goes. I would suggest someone pre-ride the course and make a report.

Michael

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    In years past there have been awards for single speed racers, but there isn't an official group. This has caused confusion during the awards ceremony, leaving the racers to dictate who came in before who, using only honest judgement. Is there a way to create a single speed catagory and less confusion?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can someone describe the MTB trail (or at least the previous years course)?

Is it a "Must do in your life because it is amazing" kind of trail?

Or "you will remember it all your life because it is so steep you will walk most of it"?

How does it compare to the OC Challenge for example (I know, it is much longer..., but it is a very nice trail, worth the suffering IMHO).

Trying to decide if worth the drive from Dallas.

Thanks!

Closekids.com
    The HOH is something you need to do for yourself at least once. The challenge of it is what makes it fun. Last year, I was a mtb noob (riding for 6 months before the race) and 8.5 miles was brutal for me.

Since, I have done a 26 mile day at the Womble and have another year under my belt. This course typically is not made for bikes, it is made to march grunts up and down getting them ready for war. There are bike specific parts of the trail, but the hills are where the course garners its reputation. They are mostly shale (so grip is questionable) and wide enough to take a jeep up and down with cacti on the sides.

If you want a great trail, go to the Womble...if you want a great test come to Lawton.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Worth the drive. Trail is challenging, will be a real gut check at 22 miles. All of us complaining about the short course last year probably won't be physically able to complain this year. Give it a shot.

Marty

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ALCON:

Just want to clear up a nasty rumor:

There will be "Day Of" registration. Entry fee will increase $5.

Look forward to seeing you all at the event.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Pre-road the 2010 course and can say MWR has for sure shut down any complaints on length or toughness. This is just an opinion on my part and by no means am I particularly correct but for what its worth this is the toughest course I've seen since I started riding these in 2001. Its not the climbs but the new stuff that seems to have recently been cut out near Engineer Pond/Lake. Its 5-ish miles of riding through wet grass on top of soft top soil. Put grass on a beach and you get the idea. Its mind numbingly brutal and relentless. If I had to bet I'd put money on several folks hike-a-biking a lot of this section especially after a couple hundred have already ridden through. It is a relief to get back to the climbs on the rocky stuff once you are done in this section. Everything else is excellent Ft. Sill riding and although I personally hated the new stuff, the rocky ups and downs were still worth the suffering. The course is marked fairly well be we did get off track a couple times as the trail crosses over itself multiple times. There are several stream/ditch crossings (a lot) that could be dangerous at speed so keep your eyes open and look ahead if you haven't preridden. There is one section of tank trail that was still flooded on Saturday that was more than bottom bracket deep with mud. The bike quickly packed up with freshly cut grass shortly after and going fast enough to clear the tires wasn't happening in the soft ground. I was stationed on Ft. Sill for 4 years and know this particular training area well. I don't see it drying out much even if the sun were out all week in the 60's. If they get any precip this week it'll be suck factor 11 on a scale of 10. Be prepared to suffer regardless. Overall its an outstanding job by MWR to answer the complaints of last year but think it was done without much thought on where the trail was going. The 2010 course is extreme opposite of last year. Overall its Ft. Sill and its always tough and you can't beat it. Don't expect much fun once you get out to Engineer but before and after is smiles-through-pain as always. Other than that; enjoy! For what its worth we miss the punch bowl at the finish. Nothing like a kick in the gut a 1/2 mile from the finish just to let you know your done. Maybe next year.

Hey Mudd; for what its worth we miss ya running this thing.

Closekids.com
    If that us the case. They HAVE to cut the muddy section out. I know they are making sure people get a good ride, but 5 miles of mud would be horrible. More people would flat out quit.

We have to made it a good experience to grow the event. Not distance at any cost. Just mho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Really, the first time I rode it in 1997 (or 8) there was a ton of mud on the course. It sucked. Even in 1999 there was still a fair amount of mud and slick sections that I remember (not 5 miles though).

Mud is just part of an early spring race.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Big Daddy,

Appreciate the feedback concerning the course. We will always listen to the feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've raced this course since the late 90's and have seen it all! Love all the rocky sections with brutal climbing and steep drops. I've also raced this course in the mud. Sure, I'd love 20 miles of the of the technical riding in the rocks but it's a race, and we all ride the same course, so it comes down to who has the fitness and experience.

I understand the concerns about trying to develop a course that will draw riders to the event. This is a Catch 22 because the brutal nature of the course is what attracted our group to driving 500 miles to Lawton to race. We're coming back this year because the course is long enough to make the drive worth the expense and effort. We'll, that and the fact that we are tired of riding trainers and living were we have cold temps and lots of snow still on the ground and on anything that we could ride.

My hat is off to Shane and crew for all the work that has gone into trying to get this event back to the days of glory. Anyone that promotes racing knows that it is almost always a thankless job and not everyone is going to be happy. From what I have seen, "Hills of Hell" is right back on track to being the big kick-off for mountain bike racing. We're going to be on the starting line Sunday, regardless of the conditions.

Closekids.com
    Wasn't intending to flame anything. We are all appreciative of the awesome work that has gone into the race. The thought of walking/riding through 5 miles of mud was not fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    BoomingSooner, I didn't take it as a "flame" and actually appreciate another riders perspective. It is a blessing to know what to expect as far as trail/course conditions. Sounds like I came off wrong with my post.

Please don't take it as a negative. Just kudos to Shane for being so receptive to input and working to get this event moving forward. Anyone reading your post can see that you have great knowledge of the trail system and only want to see this event continue to grow.

I highly recommend this event for anyone that has never had the opportunity to ride the trails at Lawton. I'll never forget the first time we pulled off I-35 and started heading toward the race start. I was looking up at all these rocky ridges and had know idea about what kind of delight we were about to encounter. I race all over the US and this is one of my favs! Looking forward to next weekend. I'll just shut up now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sorry, I didn't really take it as a flame war or anything. Just thought that mud will be part of later winter/early spring races down here.

Yeah, all the 12 MOH events that I've done had a flat portion with a soft surface. I hated them, but they did give me some sit time that I was in need of at that point.

Hope those of you who are racing it have a blast. I might get to pre-ride it, but I'm way too out of shape to even contemplate racing it.

mtbr member
    We have done serveral versions of this race and have had a blast everytime (inbetween the pain and crying). Cant wait for a little punishment this weekend!

old slow guy
    Nov 2008
    So, how muddy is it? I'm trying to make a decision on rear tires. Do I go with a mud tire or something with lots of knobs for protection from the sharp rocks? I rode on captain 2bliss the last 2 years. Also, for those who are still on the fence about going to this event, it is a must do/ epic event for this region. Do it, enjoy, cry, whine, brag....and then come back for more next year.

Closekids.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dolo
    BoomingSooner, I didn't take it as a "flame" and actually appreciate another riders perspective. It is a blessing to know what to expect as far as trail/course conditions. Sounds like I came off wrong with my post.

Please don't take it as a negative. Just kudos to Shane for being so receptive to input and working to get this event moving forward. Anyone reading your post can see that you have great knowledge of the trail system and only want to see this event continue to grow.

I highly recommend this event for anyone that has never had the opportunity to ride the trails at Lawton. I'll never forget the first time we pulled off I-35 and started heading toward the race start. I was looking up at all these rocky ridges and had know idea about what kind of delight we were about to encounter. I race all over the US and this is one of my favs! Looking forward to next weekend. I'll just shut up now.
    No bad intent on this end either.
    I guess what my point should have been was this race has always had its own soul. The soul of the race was the hills....which were from hell
    It is totally different from any other race in the state and that, I think, is what made 800 riders show up. Last year's 8 mile race was so short, the organizers got flammed b/c it just wasn't long enough for the time spent driving there.

I'm just hoping the 5 miles of whatever it is going to be are not added just for length but do add to the soul of the HOH.

I've always wished for about a 14 mile race with two laps for the insane. But I'm just a peep, and all the organizers should be thanked for whatever the course layout is! I'm still looking forward to the marathon Sunday. I'll be in the Marine jersey and milk dud RIP. So say hello.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can anyone tell me what time the course can be accessed on Saturday (tomorrow)? In the past we have been directed to entire LETRA at certain gates. Is there a website to find all the details: Packet pick up, schedule, etc....?

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Closekids.com
    70 percent chance of rain now? CRAP!!!!!

Hacker at best
    Dec 2007
    Deffinately all I wanted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

hoh

Aptly named for sure.Really brutal out the with the mud, rocks.tough climbs and wet decents.I was happy to just finish 3:26

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    We arrived in Lawton at 4am Saturday morning after driving all night to get there. Had 8 experienced racers with us. We registered and went out and pre-rode Saturday. This is what we encountered. The 1st few miles was fun, had some good climbs and fun rocky descents. We came into several areas that seemed like there had been absolutely no trail work done at all. We had to clear tree limbs out of our way. Someone had cut a tree down in the middle of the trail and left 6 inches of trunk left out of the ground....and it just kept getting worse. In lots of places the only resemblance to trail was the orange arrows marked on the ground. The intersections were very confusing......lots of times the only way you knew you were on the course was to hopefully find an arrow. Very disappointing to say the least. The best part of the whole course was the mile of rocky, ledgy section before the kevinator. We woke up Sunday morning.....packed our van and left to find another trail to ride and have fun.....the bad part is that most of our group considers suffering FUN. We were more frustrated with the course markings, the whole 8 miles or so that had absolutey no rhyme or reason to them except to make the race longer.....this whole section was climb, climb, climb, then slow downhills so you could carry your bike across the ditches....I could go on and on but its no point. We donated our $240 worth of entry fees and 8 RACERS headed north to ride and smile!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

16 years

This would have been my 16th year in a row to do this race. Last year was the worst race course I have done in 100's of races. I was so disappointed to hear about the course this year, I didn't even race. Why are they trying to reinvent the wheel? The old 15-17 mile course was great!!!! I do thank the promoters but mtb racing is not about courses like you have created the past two years. It should not be an obstacle course. Get with some local riders and make it the same as years past. The riding there can be really great. You have to take advantage of it. Turn left at the bottom of the Kevinator, put the punch bowl back in. This race used to attract the likes of Steve Tilford and Cameron Chambers and 1000 riders on the starting line. I hate to see this happen to a race that has been a part of nearly half my life. I am not trying to ***** just don't understand why the old courses are not utilized?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [ We woke up Sunday morning.....packed our van and left to find another trail to ride and have fun....

That's what I did as well........ended up at Roman Nose and got in a good ride before it started to rain there too!
    So where did you ride?

(I talked to some friends that stayed and raced...glad I kept driving)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wiruth,
    FYI....Cameron was there...you can check out his review at "trialcrew.specialized.com"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Timbone----we stopped in OKC and got 26 miles in at Draper. We had a blast....not technical, but just plain, flatout fast.
    I just want to add...I know promoting a race is not easy and lots of things can go wrong but I knew things werent going to be good when we were trying to get registered. Oh well....lesson learned. We have already started making other plans for next year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    timbone, that does make me feel better. Sounds like he had the same thoughts i did. Maybe Cameron was a little more diplomatic about it.

Closekids.com
    We were coming from OKC and checked the radar one last time at hwy 9. Diverted to Norman and rode 18.6 (the whole trail system). No rain until we loaded up and were heading to lunch. It was perfect.
    Sorry there was so much work for such a crappy weather weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wiruth
    timbone, that does make me feel better. Sounds like he had the same thoughts i did. Maybe Cameron was a little more diplomatic about it.
    Yeah a little...but I understand your frustration...it's like this

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hills of Hell Virgin

Well, this year's HoH race was my first. I must say it was the most brutal race I have ridden in. I felt like I put out more energy than when I do 12 hour races (probably not, just felt like it). The one thing that kept me motivated throughout the race was the thought that everyone else had to ride through the same crap that I did (however, I did miss two arrows and climbed two hills I didn't have to - dohhh). Like many others, I was disappointed at the portions of the track that seemed to be built by someone that didn't fully understand what riders WANT to ride - meaning, a challenging but mostly ridable course. I for one do not mind a few hike-a-bike sections, but by the end of the race my "pushing" muscles were screaming and my "pedaling" muscles were tired, but still pretty good. I just don't think most riders want it this way. Just to be clear, I had never ridden in this area before, but can see the great potential in this area and want to offer much thanks to anyone who spent the many hours it takes to put on one of these events - AND, offer encouragement for them to make the changes riders are asking for and to continue to do this event. Just my two cents worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Pre-Rode this on Sat. and Raced on Sunday in the rain it was brutal. Just because you paint arrows on the rocks does not make it a trail. The back part of the trail should be closed permanently, for it is mostly a marsh land. It should at least be possible to ride for the most experienced rider. Some parts you would take a turn and boom rocky 30 degree uphill. This was my first race ever and it took me almost 4 hours to complete. Maybe they should just stick to the 12 mile course with 2 or 3 laps. Overall I enjoyed it. Hopefully next year it will be much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So, just curious, but how much has this course changed over the last decade.

The last time I rode it was around 99, and that race was packed. I can only remember one part that seemed like it didn't belong in an MTB race, but at least I understood why the course was routed along the dirt road.

So what have they changed that makes people whine about it so much nowadays?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

So what have they changed that makes people whine about it so much nowadays?[/QUOTE]

Well I'll be happy to field this question....
    First off this is my fourth time at the event. First time was at the last running of the 12 Miles of Hell; we had around 900 guys at the start line. When you look at the numbers of riders that has now stepped off the side of the "Kevinator" to a whopping 100 or so riders who braved the weather and the pre-warnings about this years ride.

The first year after the 12 MOH, the NEW Hills of Hell event went-off without a hitch - plenty of riders, organized, clearly routed just like the 12 MOH, same sections, same order, still no post ride stuff like burgers and beer, etc -- NO BIG DEAL.

Then, the event last year changed from it's normal 17-18 mile route to this 8 mile 'walk in the park" that included every step hike-a-bike section they could find to make us go through. Most of the riders finished in a little over an hour, and we were all disappointed in the shorted length because we all expecting a longer course than that. There was an additional post food and beer which was nice, however we got the same 'To Be Continued..." shirt from the previous year. The added timer chips were all that was improved upon.

Fast forward to today. This years course was laid out to exceed any ones expectation of being too short. So some hiker (obviously not a mountain biker) went through the first traditional sections and decided to step off course and got distracted possibly by some 'pyro-technical bird', meandering through some grassy fields. Then this birdwatcher must of been distracted somewhere along the way by some tank tracks or something and they got lost through this 10 mile grassy section that turned to nothing but mud and streams in the rain. This hiking birdwatcher exceeded everyone conceivable boundary of acceptance for a course. OH, and I forgot to mention he didn't know how to paint either or he only had one can of paint....

I hope nobody got seriously hurt out there. After the eleventh mile I don't remember seeing any more support personnel out there - not even at the Kevinator - weird being all alone out there. In that section we went all the way down to the right. and then hiked it up the other side - I'm guessing at least a 30+ degree slope. I'm sure that hiker loved that section! But as a mountain biker I thought it sucked! So that's why we're whining, does that help you at all? Yes, I enjoyed the challenge and the painstakingly effort completing this course was very rewarding and bittersweet. Anyone coming and completeing this course is one tough S.O.B.!

I propose we get back to the basics. Go with a consistent 17-18 course in mostly the same order as originally 12 MOH course. Bring the rocks back - there's ton's of them out there, not the fields of grasses and cobblestones. Do that and hopefully the number of brave souls will come back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Help

The first Hills of Hell did go off without a hitch, it was promoted by Texoma Cycling Center, a bike shop, and MWR, with myself laying out one of the previous 12 MOH courses. MWR promoted the last 2 Hills of Hell.

TO: Shane and/or Ft. Sill,

You have a gold mine out there but don't know what to do with it. If you ever decide to turn this event around, get a hold of me, I would have no problem sitting down with you and letting you know what to do and when to do it.

MIchael LaSorsa
    12 Miles Of Hell Race Director

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My son and I did the race last year, and again this year. Rough experiences, both times. My son got turned around out on the course, and Shane was very helpful in getting him off the course. Thanks go out to all involved!
    While my son was warming up, we had a pretty good conversation with Shane, and he seems very willing to improve upon the course. The problem is that none of the Ft. Sill people are riders, and don't know what makes a good course.
    Those of you who have ridden the race in the good years could provide a lot of help in laying out next years course. Also, there's been the suggestion to treat it as a multi-lap event, say 10 ,20, or 30 miles over a challenging course. A lot of people were mis-directed or got turned around this year (including myself and my son). I like the idea of a course which would be more clear as to which way to go.
    Anyway, my impression is that Shane wants to continue the race and improve on the last couple years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hills of Hell

Hills of Hell Race Results
    March 7, 2010 in Lawton, OK
    http://www.onlineraceresults.com/eve...?event_id=4609

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlasorsa
    The first Hills of Hell did go off without a hitch, it was promoted by Texoma Cycling Center, a bike shop, and MWR, with myself laying out one of the previous 12 MOH courses. MWR promoted the last 2 Hills of Hell.

TO: Shane and/or Ft. Sill,

You have a gold mine out there but don't know what to do with it. If you ever decide to turn this event around, get a hold of me, I would have no problem sitting down with you and letting you know what to do and when to do it.

MIchael LaSorsa
    12 Miles Of Hell Race Director

Mike, Thanks for all the great races you put on out at Ft Sill. The first race I ever participated in was the second 12Moh, and it got me hooked on Mtbike racing. I've been back for several more encarnations of the 12Moh, and am disappointed that Ft Sill can't seem to get the recipe correct to keep interest in an event on those hills. The rocky mountainous hills are one of a kind in that region, and your success with the 12MoH is testament to how a grass roots event, run on unique terrain will bring out the masses for just the challenge of finishing. The mass start and the huge field were one of a kind and unique to your event. I hope to one day be enticed back into oklahoma for an event on the 'Hills of Sill, but from what i hear this event is just not back to the high standard you established.

Ft. Sill, listen to this man and use his help.

Closekids.com
    I think it gets back to the "soul" of the race. All might be better to go back to the 12 Miles of Hell. That is what turns heads from a marketing perspective, imo as a marketing guy.

"12 Miles? No problem...."
    "Oh wait, 12 Miles of Hell... Interesting tell me more."
    "Its 12 miles of brutality... Cool I want to try that"

If you want to make it a two lapper for the Cat1 guys, then you are good to go.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Shane, is it looking good for another Hills of Hell next year? Robert and I plan on sticking together next year.

Campmobiler
    2013 race planned??

Campmobiler
    Called Ft. Sill and they said no 2013 race...

Members who have read this thread: 0