Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hills of Hell 2010

The Hills of Hell 2010 is scheduled for Saturday, 6 March and Sunday, 7 March 2010 at Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA), Fort Sill, OK.

We appreciate and thank all who participated in the Hills of Hell 2009.

Shane Dunlevy, point of contact, 580-442-3269

Closekids.com
    Thanks for the information Shane. I will be back for sure because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Also, no matter what else came from this race...my racing buddy got beat by the unicycler!

I don't care how many tires he "claims" to have blown. No one can verify that, but we can verify the time order.

Would you post the final results here?

Twin Six METAL
    Shane,

Awesome! I commend you on already having a date for next years event and getting the ball rolling right out of the gate. I can already see that next year will be much better than this year, let's get the people out there excited about this race!

Mark
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Guys,

Shane here. We are going to start planning next year's event in early to mid May. I've posted info on the Lawton Ride 3/8/09 thread. Once we get started with the planning and keeping you guys updated, I'm going to use this thread (Hills of Hell 2010) exclusively, in case you get some folks asking about it.

Once we get on with the planning, we'll keep you informed on where we are and what we're looking at. We'll certainly take any input you may offer.

mtbr member
    Shane, Good luck with the planning, the old 12MoH was a 17mile event, and I have thought that in recent years a two lap event on the 17 mile course would be a nice adition to the days racing. 34 miles on those trails would be acceptional, think about adding a two lapper to the event during planning, If the two lappers started with the pack, and turned off at the finish to go around again, it would allow for fitter, faster riders to get a longer event in while the one lappers were finishing, and for most expert riders it would be a better test of fitness, and riding skills. non-expert riders may want to have a bigger challenge as well.

Don't hesitate to call on this forum with questions and comments while you are nailing down the details for this event, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we would like to see this event get back to the same status it once held as Oklahoma's biggest MTB event.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

i agree

I have done the race for 15 years in a row and always felt like it was to short. 25-35 miles would be great. At least make it as long as the old race 15-17 miles. 8 is not worth getting out of bed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This was the second time I've done this race. I did for the first time back in 05. I think that year there was roughly a 14 mile course. While I agree that this year was short (though I'm thankful cause I was really out of shape), I think it's important to keep in mind that there will be a wide variety of skill levels present. You want to challenge the experts while not killing off the beginners. I can tell you that when I started riding, trying to do 20+ miles of that terrain would have had me sittin on some rock a tearful and broken young man. I'm honestly not sure I could have finished...I say that because I know it would have me exhausted to my wits end now as a young 23 year old intermediate level rider. I personally think the course should be between 13 and 16 miles. Thats plenty long enough to allow the experts to get their heart rates up, and short enough that a beginner can finish after a few hours and really feel like they've accomplished something and be challenged to come back the next year and do something better.

For those wanting more distance, one option I think would be to have some sort of a "marathon" event perhaps. Say you have a 15 mile loop. You can sign up for 1 lap or a 3 lap (marathon) event. Though personally I'll be staying with one. Endurance stuff isn't my thing.

Shane, I really liked some of the stuff you guys did this year. The electronic timing, blow up start/finish line, the geax booth (get more companies for next year!!), and the awesome burger feed afterwards were definite thumbs up for me. Keep those things around for sure! Lengthen the course, throw in a couple of longer but shallower climbs, and smooth things out with signup and registration (I early registered and didn't get a 09 shirt cause they ran out of Larges, had to go with an 08...I was a little peeved, but I got over it a little when I got the geax pint glass in my goodie bag! Definite plus!!) and promote the crap out of it and I'll think you'll have a killer event (tell the course distance in your ads, that will probably help. And more importantly, be right about it!!) If I'm able, I plan to attend next year. I liked some of what I saw enough to give you guys a second chance. Good luck with it!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just a thought to get some ideas rolling around what about a "24 hours of hell" event either coupled with the Mar race or later in the fall?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Wow, a 24 hour event there would be epic. That would bring alot of people into the race at Fort Sill. I don't know if Fort Sill can handle upwards of 1000 riders but if they are up to the challenge I'm sure the people will be there. This race can be made into a classic 24 hour race. The terrain is definitely there. That would be awesome.
    2009 GT Marathon Team,GT Force 2.0, GT Jelly Belly TT (nude carbon), and a very special Todd Wells Zaskar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hills of Hell 2010

ALCON:

The Hills of Hell 2010 planning has begun. We anticipate there will be some significant improvements to the 2010 event, especially concerning the length of the course. Since we've had small turnouts for the short track event, we anticipate that this event will not be offered for the 2010 event. We do anticipate the Road Race being offered on Saturday, 6 March 2010, separate from the Hills of Hell Mountain Bike Event, which will be held on Sunday, 7 March 2010.

Another planning meeting is scheduled for next week. If you've got any suggestions, questions, or know of any magazines or other websites we need to "get the word out", let us know.

Shane

mtbr member
    Shane Seriously consider a two lap 35-50 mile event in addition to the traditional one lap "Hell". Marathon racing is gaining popularity, and many racers would be willing to travel to participate in a longer event. Look at the Quachita Challenge as an example, it sells out in less than a day, and brings in racers fron thruout the reigon. Texas has an entire series devoted to these long format races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK has a couple of endurance races as part of the Ridin' Dirty Series, like the the Six in the Sticks and the Roman Nose 50, a marathon race in Lawton would be a cool addition...

http://www.sixrace.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    Shane Seriously consider a two lap 35-50 mile event in addition to the traditional one lap "Hell". Marathon racing is gaining popularity, and many racers would be willing to travel to participate in a longer event. Look at the Quachita Challenge as an example, it sells out in less than a day, and brings in racers fron thruout the reigon. Texas has an entire series devoted to these long format races.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cooldaddy/sbsbiker,

Thanks for the input on the endurance info. If we can get additional ranges opened up for the event, I don't see any issues with the endurance race/ride. Would you suggest a separate course for the endurance, or use one course with multiple laps?

Concerning last year's course, aside from the short distance, were the hills adequate? Or do we need to input more switchbacks with fewer straights? Where is a good course to view and get some pointers for developing a good challenging course?

We'll continue to keep you updated.

Shane

Closekids.com
    MORE SWITCHBACKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Hike a bike stinks imho.

mtbr member
    I would put together a good 17-20 mile lap that everyone does as the "hills" race and make endurance riders do it twice. Start the two lappers ahead of the one lappers by about 30 min. turn the two lappers back around near the finish for lap two. One good course would be easy to mark, a simple sign turning racers is all that's needed. Keeping the singletrack quality is more important than distance. 40 miles on two track is not what I have in mind. I liked the '07 event's 17 miles, and something like that done twice would be a great test of ability, and endurance. One lap of that took me just under two hours, two laps would be around four for the leaders, and 4-5+ for most.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Guys,

I appreciate the input. We've got a planning session scheduled for Wednesday, 12 Aug 09. We'll definitely discuss these suggestions and look at the possibilities. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Alright Guys,

Below is the info that was discussed during the planning session for the 2010 Hills of Hell:

A. Two Day Event (Sat, 6 Mar 09 and Sun, 7 Mar 09)

B. Moving the Road Race to Saturday

C. Offering a Bicycle Poker Run (Start and End at LETRA) All five stops would be located on Fort Sill. Offer chances for instant winner prizes, Best Hand and other awards. (Certainly open to other suggestions)

D. Food -

(Saturday) Looking at Beer and Pizza on Saturday as has been done in the past (Anticipating having the beer and pizza (or Hot Dogs) at the conclusion of the Poker
    Run.

(Sunday) - Anticipating coffee and doughnuts in the morning prior to start of actual Hills of Hell event. Following the Hills of Hell event, there will be burgers and fixins (for free) Available while supplies last. Our BOSS program will be selling drinks.

E. Awards - Will be 5 year age groups broken. I.e., 15 - 19; 20 - 24; 25 - 29; etc. Overall Male and Female Winner will receive separate award.

F. Timing - Will continue with timing chips as done in 2009.

G. Extending of course - We are certainly going to lengthen the course. It will be at least 15 - 17 miles. The suggestions of making/developing an endurance type course are great and we feel there is high probability this will happen. What we're discussing is this:

1. Providing a course that extends much farther west and north (to refuge boundary fence). This may provide a sizable flat area between "mountains". This is dependent upon approval from range control. We are currently working this issue.

2. Making the existing course longer with additional switchbacks and have participants complete two laps. One question with this option: Would the "two lappers" want split times for the event? If so, that raises logistical questions with the timing company that must be determined.

3. Including "hardball" (road) in the course and how much?

H. Locations where event info will be posted:

Currently, general info is posted at www.sillmwr.com. Click on the Special Events Tab clear to the upper right hand corner.

Will certainly continue with mtbr.com forum

Looking to get on the Oklahoma Earth Bike site

Also looking to get advertising into a couple of magazines.

That's it for now. Any questions, comments, keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    There's usually quite a few people from the Wichita and South Central Kansas area that go down for this. Maybe provide an on-line flier that we can print and post in local bike shops.

Marty

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Marty,

Thanks for the heads up on the flier. We're working on a couple of ideas as we speak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Guys,

Just a heads up. Concerning the course, we've been looking a preliminary potential course routes for the Hills of Hell 2010. Certainly, we're looking to improve the course in the typical area between LETRA and Engineer Lake. These improvements would increase the length of the course to 14 - 17 miles.

Additionally, we are anticipating receiving permission to expand into other training areas that would allow us to extend the course west to the boundary line of the Wildlife Refuge. This area would be west of Engineer Lake and also include Ketch Lake. This potential course would provide a course length between 25 and 30 miles.

If you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions; let us know. We'll keep working at providing information to you guys.

Closekids.com
    25-30 Miles of Hell would be way too much for the average rider imho. The 14-17 idea with the Cat 1 guys doing two laps seems like a better idea to me. I think you could make more people happy that way.

Thanks for all the heads ups.

old slow guy
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner
    25-30 Miles of Hell would be way too much for the average rider imho. The 14-17 idea with the Cat 1 guys doing two laps seems like a better idea to me. I think you could make more people happy that way.

Thanks for all the heads ups.
    I couldn't agree more on this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hello,

It's been awhile. Just want to give all a heads up. Course maps for the Road Course and the Mountain Course are available for view at www.mapmyride.com. They are listed under Hills of Hell. If you have any trouble viewing them, please let me know. Concerning the Road Course, it is exactly that. Previously, we had discussed a "poker run" type of road course. Due to some issues, that has been scratched. Concerning the Mountain Course, currently, it is approx 22 miles. If we are unable to utilize an extra training area, we will still have a course that is at least 17 miles.

We are looking to have registration up and running by 1 Dec 09 and believe we will have the registration process as clear as can be. If you have any questions, let me know.

Shane

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Couple of questions. Is there going to be a 'marathon' race? Are the Cat 1 doing two laps, or just one with everyone else? It'll be hard to determine the overall male and female winners if the fastest people racing are pacing for twice the distance and are thus riding slower to pace. Is it going to be mass start again? Are the fliers up yet? I'll print one off to put up in the shop I work at.

mtbr member
    I'll sign up for two laps, one 22 mile lap is just not enough.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast