mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hill City, South Dakota

We are camping at the Mt. Rushmore KOA in Hill City (Palmer Gulch) during the first week in July. I have read the some of the recent Black Hills thread...
    Are there two or three good mountain bike trails (single track) that I could hit by riding from the KOA or with a little driving (30 min or less)? I've read about Storm Mountain and 40L / Dearfield Lake. Are these worthy rides close to Hill City?
    Thanks,
    E

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    for sure hit up storm mtn and hlmp in rapid city

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigE View Post
    Are there two or three good mountain bike trails (single track) that I could hit by riding from the KOA or with a little driving (30 min or less)? I've read about Storm Mountain and 40L / Dearfield Lake. Are these worthy rides close to Hill City?
    E
    Deerfield and Storm are both well within 30 minutes of that campground. You could probably also get to the Victoria trails in around 30 minutes. I'll have to think about the quickest way to get to Victoria from where you're staying.

Other trails within 30 minutes.

Centennial Trail (89). Both Big Pine and Dakota Point trailheads are within 30 minutes. From Big Pine you're only allowed to ride north due to Black Elk Wilderness to the south. Technically you can ride a bit less than a mile south of Big Pine before you have to turn around before entering Black Elk. From Dakota Pt you can ride north or south.

Honestly north of Big Pine would not be my favorite ride. Likewise south of Dakota Pt towards Big Pine would be the same area. North of Dakota Pt I do like. Pay attention in the Bald Hills.

Breezy Pt. is very close to where you're staying. I haven't ridden there.

If I could do two rides within 30 minutes I'd want to ride Storm and Victoria.

I wasn't a fan of Deerfield Loop. It's been a long time since I've been there, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the information... Any other info would be appreciated too. We are looking forward to visiting the area.
    E

CJH
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    From your campground take a right on 244 and head towards Hill City. From their get on 385 north and hang a right onto Sheridan Lake Road. The intersection of Victoria Lake Road will be on your left about 9 miles up Sheridan Lake Road.

It might be quicker to take a left on 244, head through Keystone and take 16 towards Rapid. From there you can cut across to Sheridan Lake Road on a gravel road called Boulder Hill Rd. Boulder Hill Rd. is on the opposite end of Silver Mountain road from the parking for Storm Mountain.

It's a well maintained gravel road. Take it down to Sheridan Lake Road and hang a right and Victoria Lake Road will again be on your left as you head up SLR.

Not sure which way would be quicker.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stop at Rabbit Bikes in Hill City, eddie can show you the trails on the map and give you good directions to get there. My favorite in that area is the Deerfield Lake loop. Also check ACME Bicycles - Rapid City, SD and Black Hills Bicycles
    These two sites have group rides posted for evening rides, and all are welcome to join us.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by BobR549 View Post
    Stop at Rabbit Bikes in Hill City, eddie can show you the trails on the map and give you good directions to get there. My favorite in that area is the Deerfield Lake loop. Also check ACME Bicycles - Rapid City, SD and Black Hills Bicycles
    These two sites have group rides posted for evening rides, and all are welcome to join us.
    Don't forget to stop by the Prairie Berry Winery in Hill City to have some Red Ass Rhubarb wine after a ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for all the info...
    This is very helpful. It sounds like I will be able to keep my self busy.

I think we are going to be in Hill City for three nights.
    E

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sounds like a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Update

We just ome from our mid west trip. It's good to be back in Washington State.
    I have no mountain bike pictures but here is what I was able to ride.

In Hill City, SD I rode at Storm twice. Once quick ride and then the next day a complete 12 mile (I think) loop. I also rode north on Centenial Trail from the Highway the goes past Mt. Rushmore past Highway 16. I knew starting out, that this section of trail was not the best section of the Centenial Trail but it was close to our campground. I got caught I a thunderstrom for a while on that ride and waited it out in the tunnel that goes under Highway 16.

While in Minneapolis (visisting my sister) I was able to go to Theodore Wirth Park for three quick laps which was very cool for a city mtb trail.

On the way home we stopped in Madora and I was able to ride the new section of the Maah Dey Haah trail south of town starting from the Bully Pulpit golf course. Really awesome out and back ride from town totaling 20 miles. Madora is beautiful but really hot and windy in July. 96, humid, and very windy when we left at noon on Sunday.

The bike shops in Hill City S.D. and Madora are awesome places and very helpful.

The Red Ass Rhubarb wine is really good. Thanks to those who gave me input before the trip.
    E