mtbr member
    Aug 2008

High End Stolen Bikes in Kansas City?

Sadly, I know all too well the feeling of having your bike stolen . Just check my sig. So, I thought I would bring this to the attention of everyone in KC and the surrounding area. I would just feel guilty if I didn't.

I was just dreaming one night about the bikes I would likely never own due to price , and I did a search for Santa Cruz Blurs. I sifted through the results, and low and behold I saw a Blur in KC MO in a large. Out of sheer curiosity, I followed a series of links to some obscure classifieds site. Turns out, the bike is a '10 Blur LTc built up with a mixture of '10 and '11 XTR and X0 components, an '11 150mm Fox fork, and CK hubs. This high end set up was going for far, far below the norm .

Also on that page was a link to another ad. In the same area, there was an '08 medium Moots full sus bike (can't remember the model and I'm not familiar with Moots) with mostly '10 - '11 stuff, including a primarily XX set-up. Same exact price as the Blur, and again what I consider to be significantly below a reasonable price considering a titanium full sus frame a top notch components.

If you know anyone in the general area who has had a bike matching the descriptions of either stolen, I might be able to dig the site back up. The descriptions on both are detailed with the Blur listing the names and year of almost every part. The Moots is not as well described, but still fairly so. This person (or people) know their bikes well. Sadly, there's not date indicating when these were posted.

I truly hope these are legit ads. I'd hate to see someone have such nice bikes stolen from them, and honestly, they'd give me a shot at having what would otherwise be unattainable bikes. However, reason tells me at these prices, they are likely hot or scams. Again, I hope not, and if they are real ads for bikes on the up-and-up, I have first dibs
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

Who is John Galt?
    Pretty sure I've seen those ads. They were running them on this site's For Sale section. It was someone, probably overseas, who studied bikes just enough to know what would appeal to buyers and priced them way too low. I actually replied to one just to see what would happen. They claimed to be in Chicago. They wanted money up front and then would ship the bike. I told them my uncle worked for the FBI there and would come look at the bike for me. Never got another reply, needless to say. The pics they show are taken off someone's gallery.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yeah, I tried to reply and didn't receive an answer. It honestly does seem too good to be true. Makes me feel a little better knowing someone else saw the ads and was able to validate my concerns.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.