mtbr member

New question here. Help Please: Riding Near Rapid City, SD

I will be in Rapid City, SD for the next five weeks starting next weekend. I know there is a ton of riding up there and was just looking for any guidance/advice as far as what trails to definitely make sure I ride, etc...

I am willing to drive around 2 hours away from Rapid City, so feel free to suggest trails that may not be in Rapid City, but are close.

Thanks so much guys! Can't wait to ride the Black Hills!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ynot89 View Post
    I will be in Rapid City, SD for the next five weeks starting next weekend. I know there is a ton of riding up there and was just looking for any guidance/advice as far as what trails to definitely make sure I ride, etc...

I am willing to drive around 2 hours away from Rapid City, so feel free to suggest trails that may not be in Rapid City, but are close.

Thanks so much guys! Can't wait to ride the Black Hills!
    You could search the forum as there are plenty of threads about the Black Hills (a couple of them are very recent in fact).

Hit the Hanson Larson Park in Rapid City for sure. Hit Storm Mountain for sure. Yummy!

Black Hills Mountain Bike Association | BHMBA

Mountain Biking in the Black Hills & Badlands | South Dakota

You'll have fun as there are so many places to ride and have fun.

If you need any local knowledge, stop in at Acme Bikes - or join one of the group rides.

BB

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check out this web site: Black Hills Bicycles look at the "Evening Mtn Bike Ride" posts. There are directions to meet with a group of us locals who ride a couple evenings a week. Usually 8 - 10 mile rides hitting most of the trails around Rapid City. Anyone is welcome to join us. Great group of folks, and we have a couple cold ones after the rides.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    im planning a trip to South Dakota or North Dakota. towards the end of August,I am thinking of doing either the Maah Daah Hey Trail or Centennial Trail for the first time. I dont have my post count high enough to start a thread.So sorry for highjacking this one. I plan on camping at the designated camp sites along the trail. So i will have all my gear with me on the bike. Food,water,tent,cloths,..ect....Any input from fellow riders would be greatly appreciated. PM if you want. Thank you.

mtbr member
    A couple things about the Centennial. It is going to be more technically challenging than the Maah Daah Hey, so depending on your skill level, it is going to take you more time to do it. Also, there is the area that you need to bypass through the Norbeck/Black Elk area that doesn't allow bicycles. In addition, being able to get supplies on the trail are tough as the trail doesn't really pass through any towns besides Nemo. Not trying to talk you out of the Centennial as it is an AWESOME trail, but those are definitely some hurdles you will encounter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Question on the bypass area in black elk. does the trail run past Mt Rushmore? Is the trail marked on which way we are to go?

mtbr member
    There isn't really a "trail" bypass, so you have to ride the road, which could take you past Mt. Rushmore. In addition, you can't ride the stretch through the Wind Cave National Park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ahh i see on the map that there is a connector trail which leads out to highway to Mt Rushmore off of the centennial. and only a portion that runs through wind cave.

Which area do you recommend we start at? Probably will only have 4-5 days to ride. We want to check out Mt Rushmore for sure. We are also camping along the trail.
    Last edited by highlyfe; 07-24-2012 at 11:16 PM.