mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Hammerhead Bikes - Tulsa, OK

Hi,

Has anyone dealt with Hammerhead bikes in Tulsa?

I'm looking at buying a new 29'er through them since my LBS can't get the size I want. They're be doing the build and sending it out to me.

Are they are good shop to work with?

Many thanks.

John

Davir

good guys

great service lots of knowledge on 29ers and boutique manufacturers. They ride what they sell.

COTA member
    Excellent experience. I ordered a Niner Jet 9 RDO with exact specifications and Hammerhead delivered exactly what I ordered in a timely manner. Before ordering I got four price quotes and Hammerhead was the best by a long shot. They are extremely responsive to email. I would not hesitate to order again from them.

Tulsa
    no worries, good shop
    wherever you go, there you are

COTA member
    I was su happy with Hammerhead that I just ordered a second bike from them. Air 9 Carbon SS.

mtbr member

Ordering from Hammerhead bikes

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    Excellent experience. I ordered a Niner Jet 9 RDO with exact specifications and Hammerhead delivered exactly what I ordered in a timely manner. Before ordering I got four price quotes and Hammerhead was the best by a long shot. They are extremely responsive to email. I would not hesitate to order again from them.
    I was doing some research on Hammerhead as I am ordering a new Jet 9 RDO from them and came across your post. I have also followed your comments on other posts and have asked for and thankfully received your help. Thus, I appreciate your knowledge regarding the Jet 9 RDO. So......My question is this. How can I find out how to setup my bike with respect to: stem length, spacers, riser bars, etc. You stated that you asked for exact specs, but I'm not sure how to order with regards to this. Also, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and weight 165. My specs for ordering (so far) are:

Frame JET9 RDO; Float RP23 Kashima; Tapered HT, 100mm
    Fork Rock Shox Revelation 120mm, Tapered, 100mm, 20mm Maxle
    Headset FSA OE from Niner.
    Frt Der XT 10spd
    Rear Der XT Long Cage 10sp Shadow
    Shifter XT 2x10sp
    Brakes Shimano XT; 180 Front/160 Rear rotors
    Crank Shimano XT, 26/36, 2x10
    Chain HG74 10spd
    BB Included w/ Cranks
    Cassette SLX 10sp, 11-36
    Wheels Stanís Arch
    Tires Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25
    Bar Niner Flat Top carbon
    Grips ESI
    Stem Niner RDO
    Seatpost Niner RDO Carbon
    Seat Fizik Gobi

Anything you can or would suggest/change on this build?
    Thanks again for your input!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hammerhead is great. Nice guys, can't go wrong with them. And I race for them.

Question, why are you building a race frame up with an AM build? Why not go with a RIP 9? Or ditch the Rev and get a Reba/Sid?

COTA member
    I run a Fox Talas 120mm on my Jet 9 RDO. I don't consider it an AM build. Most of the time I leave the Talas in the 95mm setting, but for long descents I will set it at 120mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Hammerhead is great. Nice guys, can't go wrong with them. And I race for them.

Question, why are you building a race frame up with an AM build? Why not go with a RIP 9? Or ditch the Rev and get a Reba/Sid?
    Thanks for the reply. What about my build makes it an All mountain? I think i ride mostly Trail definitely NOT AM. I read a lot of reviews and was sure I was ordering the right fork as all suggested a 120mm fork for my riding and I thought the Revelation RCT3 was a good choice. I did at one time think about the SID XX matching from Niner. What would you suggest I change to make this a better Trail bike? P.S. I have changed the crank to a SRAM XO to better match the rear cassette.according to Hammerhead. I'm also concerned about the PF30 problems I've been hearing-any suggestion there?

Thanks for the input.
    Single Track Rules!

COTA member
    After a season of mountain single track riding, I have had zero problems with the PF30 and SRAM X0 crankset. I don't think the SID XX is a good match for the RDO (and I have one on my A9C).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Side View Post
    I run a Fox Talas 120mm on my Jet 9 RDO. I don't consider it an AM build. Most of the time I leave the Talas in the 95mm setting, but for long descents I will set it at 120mm.
    i can get a 2011 Fox 32 F29 120 FIT RLC Kashima Tapered 15QR. Would that be a better choice than my Revelation RCT3 120mm? Don't know how much more I'll have to pay but....
    Single Track Rules!

COTA member
    I like the Fox 32 TALAS 29 120 FIT RLC so I can set it at 95mm when climbing or in tight stuff and then back to 120mm on fast descents. I run a 15mm maxle which seems plenty adequate.

mtbr member
    Is the Fox Talas the same as the 2011 Fox 32 F29 120 FIT RLC Kashima Tapered 15QR? I don't think i mind if I can't change the setting to 95mm if that's the only difference. This one does have the Kashima coating-although I could do without also if the other fork is better.
    Single Track Rules!